jschap is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Sharp middle back when hyperextending back

Lately, when I bend backward, like for a full bridge, or the cow pose of cat-cow, I get a sharp pain in the middle of my spine. Not really lower or upper back, but right in the middle. I've recently started doing core work (hollow holds, jack-knifes, Russian twists, sit-ups, etc.) and I'm wondering if it might have to do with my form on these exercises. I also have recently started swimming (front crawl, 30 min., 3x/week), and I'm wondering if this could also be contributing to my mid-back pain. Has anyone experienced this kind of pain before? I have to bend back pretty far before it hurts, but when I do, it is extremely painful! I am definitely a newbie -- not sure how to make sure my form is correct. I also do a pretty comprehensive stretching routine every day (have been for the past 3 months) to work on my flexibility. I'm 27 and in otherwise good shape.

Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by jschap View Post
    Lately, when I bend backward, like for a full bridge, or the cow pose of cat-cow, I get a sharp pain in the middle of my spine. Not really lower or upper back, but right in the middle. I've recently started doing core work (hollow holds, jack-knifes, Russian twists, sit-ups, etc.) and I'm wondering if it might have to do with my form on these exercises. I also have recently started swimming (front crawl, 30 min., 3x/week), and I'm wondering if this could also be contributing to my mid-back pain. Has anyone experienced this kind of pain before? I have to bend back pretty far before it hurts, but when I do, it is extremely painful! I am definitely a newbie -- not sure how to make sure my form is correct. I also do a pretty comprehensive stretching routine every day (have been for the past 3 months) to work on my flexibility. I'm 27 and in otherwise good shape.
    rid of russian twist, it might be harmful for spine

aspirex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aspirex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aspirex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aspirex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aspirex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aspirex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aspirex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aspirex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aspirex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aspirex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aspirex is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    always maintain a neutral spine position, hyper extend or hyper flexion will cause troubles to your spine (just like we say to maintain a neutral straight spine during deadlift)
    contrary to normal beliefs, some exercises are not good regardless of how perfect your form is (think about doing lat pull downs behind your back)

if a exercise cause pain ditch it. u will know if u are doing the right form. and lower back the most important part of your body, please dont mess it up or it will go on to affect every part of your life including sex life

jschap is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Follow up

Hi, thanks for the advice. I stopped doing all core exercises except planks, and now it doesn't hurt to bend backward. I am going to slowly re-introduce the easier core exercises, making sure I can do them with good form.