Thread: Glutes Advice

Jules227 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Glutes Advice

Hi all,

Brand new on here today. Brief background, I'm 53, a total amateur but in good shape for my age, lol! All the exercise I get, I do at home or on the hiking trails, so I never go to the gym. I basically just use dumbbells and ankle weights. I also do a lot of yoga and some ballet stretches so flexibility has never been a problem. I started to build up my glutes a couple of years ago and have been pleased with the results. I don't really concentrate on one particular thing, everything gets a workout.

These days I have sore hip flexors on my left side only. Can anybody recommend any glute exercises that can be done at home without aggravating the hip flexors? Are there any? I hope so! I'm trying to cut back and rest a bit, but it's not easy.

Thanks in advance.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Really you need to consult a sports physio because these kinds of issues can be complicated. I'll give you my best guess but if it doesn't work, it's physio time.

Hip flexors can tighten in response to lower back issues. So exercise the lower back directly using some kind of curling goodmorning or cable/band pullthrough.

Also exercise the upper glute which protects the back - by doing hip abductions. Important to do this with smooth movement, moderate resistance (do 12-20 reps before it starts to burn) and the fullest possible range of motion. Bret Contreras has an item about extended range hip abductions somewhere. I use bands to do standing abductions. Machines work well too if you can get access.

Jules227 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Really you need to consult a sports physio because these kinds of issues can be complicated. I'll give you my best guess but if it doesn't work, it's physio time.

Hip flexors can tighten in response to lower back issues. So exercise the lower back directly using some kind of curling goodmorning or cable/band pullthrough.

Also exercise the upper glute which protects the back - by doing hip abductions. Important to do this with smooth movement, moderate resistance (do 12-20 reps before it starts to burn) and the fullest possible range of motion. Bret Contreras has an item about extended range hip abductions somewhere. I use bands to do standing abductions. Machines work well too if you can get access.
    Thanks so much for the good advice! I'll try this stuff out.

Registered User readreindeer666's Avatar
    readreindeer666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) readreindeer666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) readreindeer666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) readreindeer666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) readreindeer666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) readreindeer666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) readreindeer666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) readreindeer666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) readreindeer666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) readreindeer666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) readreindeer666 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Stretching, sauna, cable pole squats

delineator is a name known to all. (+5000) delineator is a name known to all. (+5000) delineator is a name known to all. (+5000) delineator is a name known to all. (+5000) delineator is a name known to all. (+5000) delineator is a name known to all. (+5000) delineator is a name known to all. (+5000) delineator is a name known to all. (+5000) delineator is a name known to all. (+5000) delineator is a name known to all. (+5000) delineator is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Excessive soreness on one side sounds like flexibility/imbalance issue.
    While resolving those issues with specific exercises/stretches, in the meantime, whatever general exercises you do it may be a good idea to limit range of motion to avoid the extreme ranges where stretching that joint significantly comes into play.
    When those issues are resolved you can increase the ROM on the regular exercises.