Felix844 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Aching shoulder pain AFTER exercise

Hello, I've had this aching left shoulder pain radiating from my shoulder blades to my forearms for a month now. It started as an achy pain (no sharp pain or pain during the exercise) and I couldn't pinpoint where it actually originates but it's inside my shoulder. I've also noticed my bicep is tight and I have weird feeling of pulling/ shocking sensation in my bicep particularly with barbell curl so I switched to dumbell but the tightness on my left arm is still there when I curl or do pull-ups. I have no sharp pain or whatsoever during shoulder exercises, it usually feels uncomfortable and my aching shoulder is weaker than the right one. It mostly affects me with barbell overhead press, I feel weakness when doing overhead presses and when the muscles cooldown after the exercise, the radiating shoulder ache begins.

Another thing I'd like to mention is that when I do rear delt DB flies, my aching shoulder pops during every rep in a painful way so I stopped working rear delt with isolation movements altogether. That was exactly when the achy pain started to bug me. I will get MRI results in a week but I don't want to stop doing shoulder exercises so I am looking for an answer about what could it really be? Torn labrum, bicep tendonitis or rotator cuff injury? I searched everywhere on forum but couldn't find a thread exactly describing what I am currently going through. Every bit of help is appreciated.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Felix844 View Post
    I will get MRI results in a week but I don't want to stop doing shoulder exercises so I am looking for an answer about what could it really be?
    That's the point of the MRI. It'll be much more informative than random guesses here. Nothing will happen if you don't do shoulder exercises (or any weightlifting) for a week except avoiding making the injury worse.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    That's the point of the MRI. It'll be much more informative than random guesses here. Nothing will happen if you don't do shoulder exercises (or any weightlifting) for a week except avoiding making the injury worse.
    I am aware that MRI is going to yield results in the long run but I don't have a PT specialized in lifting injuries and my doc in a mindset that no one should lift weights at all lol. That's why I am asking here if anyone had similiar issue and what did they do to recover. Thank you for your reply.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I am aware that MRI is going to yield results in the long run but I don't have a PT specialized in lifting injuries and my doc in a mindset that no one should lift weights at all lol. That's why I am asking here if anyone had similiar issue and what did they do to recover. Thank you for your reply.
    1 week isn't "the long run" but do whatever you're going to do. After you get the MRI, go see an (or a diff) ortho after you get it, and he/she can recommend a PT as necessary.

If you're new to lifting, a key to your long term shoulder etc. health will likely be to change your programming as well.

1 week isn't "the long run" but do whatever you're going to do. After you get the MRI, go see an (or a diff) ortho after you get it, and he/she can recommend a PT as necessary.

If you're new to lifting, a key to your long term shoulder etc. health will likely be to change your programming as well.
    I didn't mean getting MRI result is the long run, I meant that recovering after the MRI result is. My programming mostly consists of compound movements and isolation exercises here and there. I've been lifting for almost a year now and haven't had any problem with my shoulder before.

Again, I appreciate your reply and I am aware which protocol I should be following on the medical side of my shoulder injury. I was just hoping that someone experienced a similar injury and can give me an insight since my doc is a boomer and have no experience at all in weightlifting.

Your verbal description is not as helpful as you think, that's why I said wait for your MRI regardless of who looks at it. You can even post it here if you want, there are a couple of certified and amateur doctors lurking around.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you think asking here is a reasonable course of action, why did you bother with an MRI?
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

Your verbal description is not as helpful as you think, that's why I said wait for your MRI regardless of who looks at it. You can even post it here if you want, there are a couple of certified and amateur doctors lurking around.
    Alright, thank you for your time man.

Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    If you think asking here is a reasonable course of action, why did you bother with an MRI?
    If you like water why would you drink soda? Do you have an idea how stupid you sound lol... I believe asking experienced weightlifters about the most common injured body part is a good idea. For the records, I've had a health issue couple of months ago and I literally visited every department of health with no solution until I found something really helpful on a cardiac forum. If you don't intend to contribute but behave like you're offended somehow, please don't bother replying at all. Thank you.

Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Alright, thank you for your time man.

If you like water why would you drink soda? Do you have an idea how stupid you sound lol... I believe asking experienced weightlifters about the most common injured body part is a good idea. For the records, I've had a health issue couple of months ago and I literally visited every department of health with no solution until I found something really helpful on a cardiac forum. If you don't intend to contribute but behave like you're offended somehow, please don't bother replying at all. Thank you.
    You are totally right man, I had almost same experience, that's why I dont trust physio or docs anymore because they rarely can help you. Person itself knows the best what he or she did. May i ask you how your injury with shoulder happened? Maybe i can give you some advice, since my first injury was with shoulder.

Originally Posted by Szyszak View Post
    You are totally right man, I had almost same experience, that's why I dont trust physio or docs anymore because they rarely can help you. Person itself knows the best what he or she did. May i ask you how your injury with shoulder happened? Maybe i can give you some advice, since my first injury was with shoulder.
    I am sorry that you had to go through such a bad experience man. I had a mild case of arrhythmia which is diagnosed after a long time it actually started. I took beta blockers because that's what my doctor prescribed me even though I told him that I am trying to solve the problem instead of going for a symptom treatment. Beta blockers made me even worse and I couldn't even increase my heart rate to do a light cardio session lol. I've visited other departments and docs and I honestly lost all my hope in them after following a set of protocol I figured online which helped me immensely. Long story short, I fully agree with you that the person itself knows the best as you put all your resources to solve the problem unlike some docs that has bad work ethics.

Anyway, I initially felt a dull pain on my left shoulder that radiates from the shoulder blade to my arm. A week later, I was doing rear delt flies and problematic shoulder popped with pain so I dropped the weights. I tried to do the rear delt flies twice after the incident and it all resulted in the same agony so I stopped them completely. Dull ache appears after a shoulder session and the severity depends on the intensity of overhead presses and lateral raises. I don't feel pain during the workout but I definitely feel uncomfortable, I feel my left arm is tight especially in the bicep area. I don't know if it was a traumatic injury or not but it kinda appeared out of the blue.

Thank you for your time reading this all and I wish you a good evening fam

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Do you have an idea how stupid you sound lol... I believe asking experienced weightlifters about the most common injured body part is a good idea.
    I think asking randos about rehabbing an unspecified, undiagnosed injury is not smart, but I'm the idiot.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I am sorry that you had to go through such a bad experience man. I had a mild case of arrhythmia which is diagnosed after a long time it actually started. I took beta blockers because that's what my doctor prescribed me even though I told him that I am trying to solve the problem instead of going for a symptom treatment. Beta blockers made me even worse and I couldn't even increase my heart rate to do a light cardio session lol. I've visited other departments and docs and I honestly lost all my hope in them after following a set of protocol I figured online which helped me immensely. Long story short, I fully agree with you that the person itself knows the best as you put all your resources to solve the problem unlike some docs that has bad work ethics.

Anyway, I initially felt a dull pain on my left shoulder that radiates from the shoulder blade to my arm. A week later, I was doing rear delt flies and problematic shoulder popped with pain so I dropped the weights. I tried to do the rear delt flies twice after the incident and it all resulted in the same agony so I stopped them completely. Dull ache appears after a shoulder session and the severity depends on the intensity of overhead presses and lateral raises. I don't feel pain during the workout but I definitely feel uncomfortable, I feel my left arm is tight especially in the bicep area. I don't know if it was a traumatic injury or not but it kinda appeared out of the blue.

Thank you for your time reading this all and I wish you a good evening fam
    If you have a pain while doing rear delt it might be related to tightness in posterior capsule, did you try to stretch it by sleeping stretch? Try out this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MYWtJgthRc
    https://youtu.be/8Tj1zobHVXk?t=17

You also mention that it radiates down to your arm, which might be related to tigtness/weakness in subscapularis. Did you try to release it and strenghten?
    https://youtu.be/MDOZAhre1Bc?t=170
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIBpU9orjTs

Without evaluation in person, have to try many things and see what works.
    You might also try to perform powell raise with light weight instead, it hits rear delt the same way.

sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Visit an Orthopedic Surgeon who works with athletes. Why go to a doctor that doesn't approve of weight lifting?