Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Millennium1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Increase or Decrease weight each set

Here's a question I've been pondering for a while. I like to do 5 sets each exercise and at least 8-10 reps each set. I usually start with a weight that I can only lift 10 times. After the first two sets I have to decrease weight to still get 8-10 reps. I notice that I'm about the only person in the gym who does this but I think it really taxes the muscles well. On the other hand most pro's say to increase the weight each time. If I do that I'll be starting out my first set with a weight that I could do more than 10 times but only doing 10 reps with it. Does this really work the muscle best? I thought pushing the muscles to the limit made them grow? If I do a weight for 10 reps that I could do for 15 reps how am I pushing my limits?

I would like some advice on this. I would like facts not opinions please. List reasons why you prefer one or the other please. Let me know what your training experience is with one way or the other too.

Mammoth3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mammoth3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mammoth3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mammoth3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mammoth3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mammoth3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mammoth3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mammoth3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mammoth3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mammoth3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mammoth3 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    good question, i am also wondering about that.. i tried it yesterday it was pretty good.. i increased weight each set.. but thats me..
    -The Age of Mount- resumes

"Get a look at greatness!"

A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I belive it`s best to warm up and go straight to the heaviest weight you can hand,le with good form and leave the lighter weights for later , when you are already fatiged !
    5'11 @ 220lbs.
    Disclaimer: This is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way, shape, or form encourage use nor condone the use of any illegal substances or the use of
    legal substances in an illegal manner. The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only and shall not take the place of qualified medical advice

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    Originally posted by A-rod
    I belive it`s best to warm up and go straight to the heaviest weight you can hand,le with good form and leave the lighter weights for later , when you are already fatiged !
    bump...

I usually rest 2 minutes between sets and here is what my incline bench workout looked like yesterday.

175 x 10
    175 x 8
    165 x 10
    165 x 9
    160 x 9

I push all sets as close to failure as I can safely do since I don't have a spotter.

A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally posted by Millennium1
    I usually rest 2 minutes between sets and here is what my incline bench workout looked like yesterday.

175 x 10
    175 x 8
    165 x 10
    165 x 9

I push all sets as close to failure as I can safely do since I don't have a spotter.
    How about :

after warm up

185 x 5
    185 x 4
    175 x 7
    175 x 5
    165 x 8
    160 x 8

Much more effective IMO
    5'11 @ 220lbs.
    Disclaimer: This is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way, shape, or form encourage use nor condone the use of any illegal substances or the use of
    legal substances in an illegal manner. The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only and shall not take the place of qualified medical advice

Train smarter not harder amusclehead's Avatar
    amusclehead is a name known to all. (+5000) amusclehead is a name known to all. (+5000) amusclehead is a name known to all. (+5000) amusclehead is a name known to all. (+5000) amusclehead is a name known to all. (+5000) amusclehead is a name known to all. (+5000) amusclehead is a name known to all. (+5000) amusclehead is a name known to all. (+5000) amusclehead is a name known to all. (+5000) amusclehead is a name known to all. (+5000) amusclehead is a name known to all. (+5000)
    myself- pyramidding leads to inefficiency. same weight, same reps, low # of sets is the way to go (e.g., 300reps, 5reps, 2sets, then onto next exercise)
    Booo

amusclehead...you recommend doing 3-5 reps for 2-3 sets? I'm just making sure I'm reading this correctly. You don't increase weight at all? So when you do your first set of 5 you probably could have done 7 or 8 reps if you went to failure right?

Thanks

Here_s johnny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    amusclehead...you recommend doing 3-5 reps for 2-3 sets? I'm just making sure I'm reading this correctly. You don't increase weight at all? So when you do your first set of 5 you probably could have done 7 or 8 reps if you went to failure right?

Thanks
    Yeah, he's a simpleton.

amusclehead is a name known to all. (+5000) amusclehead is a name known to all. (+5000) amusclehead is a name known to all. (+5000) amusclehead is a name known to all. (+5000) amusclehead is a name known to all. (+5000) amusclehead is a name known to all. (+5000) amusclehead is a name known to all. (+5000) amusclehead is a name known to all. (+5000) amusclehead is a name known to all. (+5000) amusclehead is a name known to all. (+5000) amusclehead is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally posted by Here's johnny
    Yeah, he's a simpleton.
    how'd i know you'd have a comment on this
    Booo

Message Board King ROCK CRUSHER's Avatar
    ROCK CRUSHER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ROCK CRUSHER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ROCK CRUSHER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ROCK CRUSHER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ROCK CRUSHER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ROCK CRUSHER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ROCK CRUSHER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ROCK CRUSHER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ROCK CRUSHER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ROCK CRUSHER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ROCK CRUSHER is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i'm training for strength right now so i pyramid..... chest last night.

RAW BENCH
    warm up ~ pushups/30

135 X alot
    225 x 15 < workout buddies say i waste too much energy here)

275 X 6 < same comment as above
    315 x 3
    335 x 3
    355 x 3
    375 X 3 < lost the groove on second rep, righthand fell way behind on te 3rd.

then move to boards.....
    3 boards
    335 x 3
    355 x 2x2
    4 boards
    355 x 3x3

move on to dbs.....
    "i just might fade into Bolivian" ~ MIKE TYSON

Thanks
    no weight increase until i can do 2sets of 5(or 2sets of chain for chain movements). i always make certain i stay 1/2-1rep away from failure., such that if i'm doing 5 i could do 6reps.
    Booo

Originally posted by amusclehead
    how'd i know you'd have a comment on this
    Because that way of training is inefficient for anyone but the beginner. IT'S A DEADEND.

Because that way of training is inefficient for anyone but the beginner. IT'S A DEADEND.
    yea, my progress sucks. it only helped me blast past, for example, dipping +90 to being able to dip +100. damn it, if i trained more efficently i could be dipping with 200pds attached and benching 500 atleast
    Booo

yea, my progress sucks. it only helped me blast past, for example, dipping +90 to being able to dip +100. damn it, if i trained more efficently i could be dipping with 200pds attached and benching 500 atleast
    Who gives a **** about your so-called progress???Why don't real BBers train like you??? I'll tell you why. because it's a deadend, and totally ignores the CNS. Look at the training of athletes at the top of the game(pro and ams). Improvements do not come in a linear fashion. Remember the baby pig?

please tell me by "real bodybuilder" you don't mean the people in FLEX, lol.

how exactly does it "totally ignore the CNS".

by your logic i should be stagnatting constantly in weight poundages.
    Booo

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    i dot he same and it works for me i hate pyramidding....

Originally posted by scott_donald
    i dot he same and it works for me i hate pyramidding....
    i'm sorry then, you must not make any progress and still be stuck on the pink dbs because your body doesn't know how to grow on that type of program
    Booo

please tell me by "real bodybuilder" you don't mean the people in FLEX, lol.

how exactly does it "totally ignore the CNS".

by your logic i should be stagnatting constantly in weight poundages.
    nevermind, just stay in your little world. Don't dare pick up a copy of MILO. I'd hate to have your grief on my concience.

i'm sorry then, you must not make any progress and still be stuck on the pink dbs because your body doesn't know how to grow on that type of program
    well its true i have not even made the pink db's yet...

well its true i have not even made the pink db's yet...

Booo

KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Actually, I have done all three and still do all three depending on what I am trying to accomplish ( pyramid up, pyramid down, and same weight for x amount of sets and reps). They all have their pros and cons. This is constantly debated as you can see from this thread. I suggest you try all and see what works best for you.

ROCK CRUSHER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ROCK CRUSHER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ROCK CRUSHER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ROCK CRUSHER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ROCK CRUSHER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ROCK CRUSHER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ROCK CRUSHER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ROCK CRUSHER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ROCK CRUSHER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ROCK CRUSHER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ROCK CRUSHER is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i gotten great results from straight sets(hypertrophy) in the past.

just not the best for "MAX STERNGTH" training.

Originally posted by ROCK CRUSHER

just not the best for "MAX STERNGTH" training.
    Or hypertrophy.

so why do 3x3...

Or hypertrophy.
    well done on your hundred posts...

so why do 3x3...
    Because it works when fitted into the proper routine.

is that not constant weight tho...

oark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    because it's a deadend, and totally ignores the CNS. Look at the training of athletes at the top of the game(pro and ams). Improvements do not come in a linear fashion. Remember the baby pig?
    Is it hard on teh CNS to gain strength linearly?

Or hypertrophy.
    well......my tri's sure have blown up from heavy triples.

it works for me, and thats whats important.