Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Any thoughts on Magnum Hack squat machine

I’m almost giving up on combo leg press /hack squat machines , as I think you compromise by having a dual machine.
    Seems like they always have design flaws , so I’m debating to either purchase a dedicated hack squat machine , or leg press machine, but I’m leaning more towards a hack squat .

Anyways I found this online , but from the pic I don’t think it comes apart, and this will be an issue getting in my basement.
    I watched a video on what I believe was the same machine , and it sounded like it used linear bearings.

Anyone have any knowledge on this product , and if you could only have one, would you choose a leg press over a hack squat machine or vice versa ?

Attached Images
    Last edited by MajorTendonitis; 04-02-2021 at 09:49 AM.
    Make Misc great again

gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I have no experience with the Magnum hack, but it looks like a nice machine. Personally if I had to pick between the leg press and hack squat, I'd pick the leg press, I think it's just more versatile.

Last year I bought a Panatta Power Squat, the Power Squat is definitely worth considering if you only have room for one machine. In the few months I've had the Power Squat it's become my go to machine on leg day, I think the Power Squat is underrated..

Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I haven't used this particular machine, but all the Magnum stuff I have encountered has been really nice. It does use linear bearings. The sled will come off, but that frame does indeed look welded.

MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Duplicitous View Post
    I haven't used this particular machine, but all the Magnum stuff I have encountered has been really nice. It does use linear bearings. The sled will come off, but that frame does indeed look welded.
    That’s my concern to, I don’t think the frame breaks down . Which is a good thing normally,but not in my case if I can’t get it in my basement.
    Should have used my garage for my gym lol

Originally Posted by gym62richard View Post
    I have no experience with the Magnum hack, but it looks like a nice machine. Personally if I had to pick between the leg press and hack squat, I'd pick the leg press, I think it's just more versatile.

Last year I bought a Panatta Power Squat, the Power Squat is definitely worth considering if you only have room for one machine. In the few months I've had the Power Squat it's become my go to machine on leg day, I think the Power Squat is underrated..
    Thank you very much for this . Watching a video , I’d say it actually looks like it puts you in a more natural form as you move .
    Gotta do more research.

The more I look at it , I just realized it may be too tall for my basement when it’s extended as you push up .
    May have to look into similar models tyst use that same concept.
    They are certainly costly

Last edited by MajorTendonitis; 04-02-2021 at 09:12 AM.
    Make Misc great again

Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by MajorTendonitis View Post
    That’s my concern to, I don’t think the frame breaks down . Which is a good thing normally,but not in my case if I can’t get it in my basement.
    Should have used my garage for my gym lol
    I just bought a Magnum Smith machine the other day and the seller says: "I wish I could help you, but I have to go to work." Oh, alright ... They had already moved their belongings out and he was just sleeping there until he finished his work week, so he left me there alone. :x The machine split in half, but weighs about 600 lbs. The neighbors were probably having a good laugh watching me haul each half down the back steps, across the backyard and then into my truck. Thankfully, I have a walk out basement and had help unloading, so getting them in was much easier.

I just bought a Magnum Smith machine the other day and the seller says: "I wish I could help you, but I have to go to work." Oh, alright ... They had already moved their belongings out and he was just sleeping there until he finished his work week, so he left me there alone. :x The machine split in half, but weighs about 600 lbs. The neighbors were probably having a good laugh watching me haul each half down the back steps, across the backyard and then into my truck. Thankfully, I have a walk out basement and had help unloading, so getting them in was much easier.
    I think I would have brought a friend lol . Have no idea how you loaded that .

I could carefully cut the frame when I get it home and make 8 metal plates with four holes in them to re secure it again .
    It’s an 8 hour drive to this guys house from my place . With he was in Calgary and not in Edmonton .
    I’m almost liking the Panatta machine better in some respects,as I think the movement is more natural,and may be easier on the knees.
    But I just seen the price .
    Maybe there’s a decent equivalent?

Looking at the Panatta machine more,there’s no way I’ll have enough clearance from my ceiling,as I only have 6’8 .
    Guess it’s back to sleds
    Last edited by MajorTendonitis; 04-02-2021 at 09:42 AM.
    Make Misc great again

murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Which Magnum smith was it? My local PIAS picked one up along with a bunch of other commercial equipment. This one breaks down into 2 sides and 2 crossmembers so moving it wouldn't be impossible. I've thought about adding a smith to my gym, and if it wasn't SO big I'd be tempted, but it takes up about the same footprint as my Ultra Pro full rack. He also picked up a hack squat which might be a Magnum, but I haven't seen it in person yet. Like OP I have not decided whether I'd rather have a hack squat or a leg press (or a combo).

Originally Posted by murphyreedus View Post
    Which Magnum smith was it? My local PIAS picked one up along with a bunch of other commercial equipment. This one breaks down into 2 sides and 2 crossmembers so moving it wouldn't be impossible. I've thought about adding a smith to my gym, and if it wasn't SO big I'd be tempted, but it takes up about the same footprint as my Ultra Pro full rack. He also picked up a hack squat which might be a Magnum, but I haven't seen it in person yet. Like OP I have not decided whether I'd rather have a hack squat or a leg press (or a combo).
    This isn't my actual machine, but it's the same model. It breaks down as you said, but the sides were much heavier than I expected. It wasn't too bad unloading with 2 people, but it was a b*itch loading it alone.

murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Still big, but I might be more interested in that one. The one PIAS has is like this one, which besides being huge is kind of a clunky design in comparison:

I do want to go back and look at the hack squat, because I'd need to use it to see if I even like the movement.

Originally Posted by murphyreedus View Post
    Still big, but I might be more interested in that one. The one PIAS has is like this one, which besides being huge is kind of a clunky design in comparison:

I do want to go back and look at the hack squat, because I'd need to use it to see if I even like the movement.
    For some strange reason, I always seem to injure my back when tried squatting with a smith machine
    Make Misc great again

For some strange reason, I always seem to injure my back when tried squatting with a smith machine
    Probably not strange, there's a technique to squatting in a Smith and it's easy to do it wrong, especially since it's tempting to load more weight vs a barbell squat because you're not doing nearly as much stabilization. I'm sure there are many others, but John Meadows has had some good videos on how to use a Smith:

I don’t know if anyone is familiar with this company. This machine doesn’t look to bad, but I can never find reviews which concerns me.
    Sometimes hack squat machine don’t go low enough for us manlets

https://unofive.ca/collections/weigh...ite-hack-squat

Attached Images
    Last edited by MajorTendonitis; 04-03-2021 at 07:27 AM.
    Make Misc great again

Icarian5150 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icarian5150 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icarian5150 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icarian5150 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icarian5150 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icarian5150 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icarian5150 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icarian5150 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icarian5150 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icarian5150 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icarian5150 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Never used a Magnum Hack Squat, but have and still use a Magnum Leg Press.
    Solid machine.

Originally Posted by Icarian5150 View Post
    Never used a Magnum Hack Squat, but have and still use a Magnum Leg Press.
    Solid machine.
    Thanks

Here’s their latest model . Disappointing that the plate you are standing on does not change to different angles . Especially seeing as it’s more of a 90 degree angle than past models .
    But it looks as though it breaks down,so that would be a bonus getting it downstairs

https://pound4poundfitnessequipment....um-hack-squat/

Attached Images
    Make Misc great again

Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    https://youtu.be/Nkx722uoEnw

Have you looked at Steelflex? We are building a bigger house and basement will hold a lot more stuff. They are bolt together.

Originally Posted by Greybird2 View Post

Have you looked at Steelflex? We are building a bigger house and basement will hold a lot more stuff. They are bolt together.
    Not a bad looking unit . It almost looked as though the guy topped it out as he extended his legs though
    Make Misc great again

gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

My buddy has a Steelflex shoulder press, Nice machine, commercial quality, solid and well finished..

He think's they're manufactured by the same factory that Body Solid uses, I'm not sure that's true, but if so , quality wise they're on a level with Body Solid's Pro line, but from what I can remember I think Steelflex have the edge.

Registered User ArnoldHAMnEGGer's Avatar
    ArnoldHAMnEGGer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArnoldHAMnEGGer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArnoldHAMnEGGer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArnoldHAMnEGGer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArnoldHAMnEGGer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArnoldHAMnEGGer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArnoldHAMnEGGer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArnoldHAMnEGGer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArnoldHAMnEGGer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArnoldHAMnEGGer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArnoldHAMnEGGer is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I don’t know if anyone is familiar with this company. This machine doesn’t look to bad, but I can never find reviews which concerns me.

This piece looks nice! Adjustable footplate is always a great feature on a Hack Squat. In fact, IMO all Hacks should have it. Would be nice if they did. The two best Hacks I've ever used were the Flex Hack and Nebula's Hack. Only Nebula's had an adjustable footplace. I believe both are at a 30 or 35 degree angle which i believe is the best possible angle for this movement.

Thanks

Here’s their latest model . Disappointing that the plate you are standing on does not change to different angles . Especially seeing as it’s more of a 90 degree angle than past models .
    But it looks as though it breaks down,so that would be a bonus getting it downstairs

https://pound4poundfitnessequipment....um-hack-squat/

The old stuff was made in the USA and overbuilt like most stuff from the era. In 2012 Magnum got bought out by Johnson Health Tech, who manufactures everything in Shanghai/Taiwan. There's really nothing left of the brand aside from their namesake. That's not to say it's all junk, but there's a lot more variability in quality with the imported stuff than the original Magnum products.

Originally Posted by ArnoldHAMnEGGer View Post
    This piece looks nice! Adjustable footplate is always a great feature on a Hack Squat. In fact, IMO all Hacks should have it. Would be nice if they did. The two best Hacks I've ever used were the Flex Hack and Nebula's Hack. Only Nebula's had an adjustable footplace. I believe both are at a 30 or 35 degree angle which i believe is the best possible angle for this movement.
    I just wish I could find reviews on it , but not . The only concern I have is the quality of the welds on some of their products looked subpar from what I could determine from the photo.
    They may have been fine ,and I’m overthinking this. I’d sooner it was built overseas with robot welders personally.

As for adjustable foot plate ,the more I think about it , that’s a deal breaker with the Magnum brand now .
    Last edited by MajorTendonitis; 04-03-2021 at 07:06 AM.
    Make Misc great again

Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by gym62richard View Post
    My buddy has a Steelflex shoulder press, Nice machine, commercial quality, solid and well finished..

He think's they're manufactured by the same factory that Body Solid uses, I'm not sure that's true, but if so , quality wise they're on a level with Body Solid's Pro line, but from what I can remember I think Steelflex have the edge.
    I got a quote on 15 pieces for a new house we are building. Probably will do it. That will get it's own thread.

Not a bad looking unit . It almost looked as though the guy topped it out as he extended his legs though
    I think you are seeing the top weight horn.
    Attached Images

One thing I do like about this option is that it’s customizable. I emailed them and asked to get the measurements of the footplate , as maybe I’ll increase its size .
    The bad part is lead time is 8 to 14 weeks out.

The bar that holds the bumper plates on the sled sticks out way too far imo . I’d get them to cut them back .
    I’m thinking 12-14” sticking out should be plenty. The length of the storage bar looks good.

I’d also tell them to put the kibosh on the storage bar ,as I’ll build additional bumper plate racks like I have now to hold varies sizes of plates on both sides of the machine , as opposed to having that one horn for storage

Attached Images
    Last edited by MajorTendonitis; 04-03-2021 at 07:50 AM.
    Make Misc great again

Icarian5150 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icarian5150 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icarian5150 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icarian5150 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icarian5150 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icarian5150 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icarian5150 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icarian5150 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icarian5150 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icarian5150 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icarian5150 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The old stuff was made in the USA and overbuilt like most stuff from the era. In 2012 Magnum got bought out by Johnson Health Tech, who manufactures everything in Shanghai/Taiwan. There's really nothing left of the brand aside from their namesake. That's not to say it's all junk, but there's a lot more variability in quality with the imported stuff than the original Magnum products.
    Definetly. The one I use was built in 2001 I believe. Solid steel and built like a tank.

You don't have a lot of room there. Have you considered a leverage squat?

You don't have a lot of room there. Have you considered a leverage squat?
    Thanks,
    that was just an example of my bumper plate storage rack I built .
    It’s going in a corner that will soon be empty.
    That existing bumper plate rack will be moved approx 4” to the right . The rower is gone,the water massage tables going upstairs, and the tv is also being removed .
    I’ll be putting an additional storage rack on the left though , but I believe there will be enough room between them

Attached Images
    Make Misc great again

rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000)
    BTW, if you are looking at some leg presses or hack squats that don’t appear to disassemble.... they might not.... I got a bear squat machine that doesn’t tear down so I brought a mechanic crane truck (and operator friend) with me for moving into my barn. Place I picked up had a dock and forklift.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #4 []---[]
    []---[] Rogue Barbell Club #9 []---[]
    []---[] Equipment Crew #76 []---[]

Registered User ArnoldHAMnEGGer's Avatar
    ArnoldHAMnEGGer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArnoldHAMnEGGer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArnoldHAMnEGGer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArnoldHAMnEGGer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArnoldHAMnEGGer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArnoldHAMnEGGer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArnoldHAMnEGGer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArnoldHAMnEGGer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArnoldHAMnEGGer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArnoldHAMnEGGer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArnoldHAMnEGGer is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I just wish I could find reviews on it , but not . The only concern I have is the quality of the welds on some of their products looked subpar from what I could determine from the photo.
    They may have been fine ,and I’m overthinking this. I’d sooner it was built overseas with robot welders personally.

As for adjustable foot plate ,the more I think about it , that’s a deal breaker with the Magnum brand now .
    I know that Matrix (Magnum is now Matrix after they were acquired) did make a Hack with an adjustable footplate at one point. Pretty sure Magnum did too back in the day. You could take a piece of wood and have it cut at an angle and that could be your makeshift adjustable footplate. Generally speaking, Magnum made solid pieces IMO quality-wise. I wouldn't put them above Flex or Nebula in terms of the designs of their pieces and the paths on many of their pieces but if you're comparing the Magnum Hack against something like an Icarian Hack that I used to see in many gyms, i don't think you'd be at all disappointed. In fact, in a heartbeat I'd take that Magnum Hack over Icarian's FWIW. I guess what i'm saying, is that if it's quality that you're concerned with, that shouldn't be an issue.

Before you go all in on a hack squat, try a couple different ones at gyms. They are very hard on the knees.

Before you go all in on a hack squat, try a couple different ones at gyms. They are very hard on the knees.
    I thought the same thing . It’s a very big investment to only find out it’s going to be detrimental.
    A typical squat is very similar to a hack squat , which makes me wonder if a leg press would be more beneficial.
    Obviously they can both cause injuries if your doing it incorrectly.
    Make Misc great again