Thread: Squat Shoes

pinfante is just really nice. (+1000) pinfante is just really nice. (+1000) pinfante is just really nice. (+1000) pinfante is just really nice. (+1000) pinfante is just really nice. (+1000) pinfante is just really nice. (+1000) pinfante is just really nice. (+1000) pinfante is just really nice. (+1000) pinfante is just really nice. (+1000) pinfante is just really nice. (+1000) pinfante is just really nice. (+1000)

Squat Shoes

What's your thoughts on squatting/ weight lifting shoes for squats?

Pros/cons?

Old Man Yelling at Cloud -=FLEX=-'s Avatar
    -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Personal preference, really.

I've done squats for years in bodybuilding shoes, for years in sock feet, and for years in a squat shoe with an elevated heel.

For heavy squats I prefer a solid squat shoe, but it's not critical for me. I did squats this morning in flat skater shoes because I was in too much of a hurry to lace up my squat shoes.
    Insta: flexjs

Perseverance, Inc.

Spring Supremacy 2018 - 620/345/615 @ 50 yrs old

RIP Gene Rychlak

pinfante is just really nice. (+1000) pinfante is just really nice. (+1000) pinfante is just really nice. (+1000) pinfante is just really nice. (+1000) pinfante is just really nice. (+1000) pinfante is just really nice. (+1000) pinfante is just really nice. (+1000) pinfante is just really nice. (+1000) pinfante is just really nice. (+1000) pinfante is just really nice. (+1000) pinfante is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by -=FLEX=- View Post
    Personal preference, really.

I've done squats for years in bodybuilding shoes, for years in sock feet, and for years in a squat shoe with an elevated heel.

For heavy squats I prefer a solid squat shoe, but it's not critical for me. I did squats this morning in flat skater shoes because I was in too much of a hurry to lace up my squat shoes.
    For 20 years iv been squatting with sneakers with no issues. I just dont know if i really need to change anything up but was curious about if there is any performance or effect benefits...

Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by pinfante View Post
    For 20 years iv been squatting with sneakers with no issues. I just dont know if i really need to change anything up but was curious about if there is any performance or effect benefits...
    If you have been squatting with no issues for 20 years in sneakers I don't think the benefits of squat shoes will really be worth it to you. Unless you are changing your training up and really looking to max out your squat.
    []---[] Equipment Crew #37 []---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #3 ()---()

�You want science and studies? **** you. I�ve got scars and blood and vomit.�
    -Wendler

Originally Posted by Cleveland33 View Post
    If you have been squatting with no issues for 20 years in sneakers I don't think the benefits of squat shoes will really be worth it to you. Unless you are changing your training up and really looking to max out your squat.
    What about training shoes.

Originally Posted by Cleveland33 View Post
    Yeah was thinking of possiby switch to a "training shoe" which i think adds a little elevation but not as much as a pure squat shoe. Next meso cycle really wanna prioritize my squat.

radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I use a weightlifting shoe with more heel elevation than some crossfit/training shoes but less than a squat or powerlifting shoe. It feels good for everything on leg day and I like the extra stability. Mine is Reebok something from a couple of years ago that's now out of production, but weightlifting shoes are pretty common. They don't work for cardio IME, but that's not what's intended. Something like a Metcon or Nano can work for moderate cardio too.

C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Plenty of world records have been set in sneakers. Only issue is the shock absorbent "squishy" design. This drains energy in the stabilization which is why squat/weightlifting shoes have solid soles to lock in into a solid platform and produce no energy loss in transfer between your body and the ground.

Heel is a personal preference and tends to be favored more for higher bar squatting vs a low bar wide stance PL style. Changing heel elevation is a big deal so you'd want to start lite and gradually acclimate over a number of sessions (good way to pull a quad going from flat to elevated as recruitment pattern completely changes).

For me these days I'm in Chuck Taylors and have been for a decade or more. I perform a more neutral bar style of squatting and this is fine for me. Good traction, no squish loss, and I use canvas high tops so good support. Not a good natural squatter BTW so I've tried just about everything over the years. I have a top end pair of Adidas Adipowers or whatever their top shoe was 4 years ago. I'll wear them for weightlifting movements (C&J/Snatch based) but really nothing else these days and not doing much of that either regrettably. Lately I favor changing bar or bar position over changing shoes to introduce variation. That said there was probably a 5-10 year period of my life where I wore OL shoes exclusively and every squat or pull was done inside them.
    ▪█─────█▪ Rogue Barbell Crew #27 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Mech6 Crew #26 ▪█─────█▪

Haven't been able to "rep" many of you for a year or more...not for lack of trying.

Home Gym: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1615740991&viewfull=1#post1615740991

Registered User Lifts4longevity's Avatar
    Lifts4longevity is just really nice. (+1000) Lifts4longevity is just really nice. (+1000) Lifts4longevity is just really nice. (+1000) Lifts4longevity is just really nice. (+1000) Lifts4longevity is just really nice. (+1000) Lifts4longevity is just really nice. (+1000) Lifts4longevity is just really nice. (+1000) Lifts4longevity is just really nice. (+1000) Lifts4longevity is just really nice. (+1000) Lifts4longevity is just really nice. (+1000) Lifts4longevity is just really nice. (+1000)
    I second the choice of wearing Chuck Taylors, but I've been wearing them since I was a kid (long before I lifted weights). Skateboard shoes can be another good choice if the soles are flat, and they tend to have slightly more cushion than Chucks (plus more room for your toes if you have fat feet).

At home, I don't wear shoes in my gym unless I'm doing calf raises. Reminds me of the video showing Arnold and a couple of his bodybuilding friends (back in the day) taking turns walking out of the squat rack at Gold's Gym with 495(+) lbs behind their necks and squatting barefoot for reps like it's no big deal. Of course that's probably an offense that would land you in gym jail nowadays.
    ***Everybody pities the weak....but jealousy, you have to earn!***

Cancer free since 2006, but fighting the battle daily

Old Man Yelling at Cloud -=FLEX=-'s Avatar
    -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Lifts4longevity View Post
    At home, I don't wear shoes in my gym unless I'm doing calf raises. Reminds me of the video showing Arnold and a couple of his bodybuilding friends (back in the day) taking turns walking out of the squat rack at Gold's Gym with 495(+) lbs behind their necks and squatting barefoot for reps like it's no big deal. Of course that's probably an offense that would land you in gym jail nowadays.
    Mrs Flex and I used to squat and deadlift all the time in commercial gyms socks only. Not quite barefoot, I know, but close enough.

Here's me at 50 years old doing 495 in socks with knee sleeves only and no belt at World Gym:

Insta: flexjs

Perseverance, Inc.

Spring Supremacy 2018 - 620/345/615 @ 50 yrs old

RIP Gene Rychlak

Registered User ArnoldHAMnEGGer's Avatar
    ArnoldHAMnEGGer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ArnoldHAMnEGGer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ArnoldHAMnEGGer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ArnoldHAMnEGGer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ArnoldHAMnEGGer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ArnoldHAMnEGGer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ArnoldHAMnEGGer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ArnoldHAMnEGGer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ArnoldHAMnEGGer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ArnoldHAMnEGGer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ArnoldHAMnEGGer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    What's your thoughts on squatting/ weight lifting shoes for squats?

Pros/cons?
    Pros - everything! LOL the elevated heel will give you so many benefits, such being able to reach a greater depth without leaning forward which will put more emphasis on the quads. More stable footing.

The only con i can think of is the cost and maybe you have to change shoes once or twice during a leg workout. For example, if i did Squats with my OLY WLing shoes and then i went and did calves i wouldn't use my OLY shoes for calves.

Now it is important to note that the hips back/ass out Powerlifting style squat, the elevated shoes were designed with this in mind and that's what you're after, that type of Squat might feel very awkward with weightlifting shoes on.

pondus_levo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pondus_levo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pondus_levo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pondus_levo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pondus_levo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pondus_levo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pondus_levo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pondus_levo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pondus_levo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pondus_levo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pondus_levo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Shoeless squats crew.
    Forever alone? Attraction and keeping the girl chasing you - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=131498033

You will never know your limits, unless you push yourself past the imaginary lines you have drawn in the sand.

Knee Dragger - '06 GSX-R750

Registered User Deep-Voiced-One's Avatar
    Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by ArnoldHAMnEGGer View Post
    The only con i can think of is the cost and maybe you have to change shoes once or twice during a leg workout. For example, if i did Squats with my OLY WLing shoes and then i went and did calves i wouldn't use my OLY shoes for calves.
    This right here was the same con for me as far as OLY shoes are concerned...other than that they serve their purpose well. A ways back I went with Nike Romaleos because they make a wide size shoe in this category, my other shoes I lift in are a beat up pair of Chucks and they also get things done if I don't feel like changing things out...then again I should start utilizing my Romaleos once again especially since I switched from full body to upper/lower recently and have an actual leg day once again.

Originally Posted by pondus_levo View Post
    Shoeless squats crew.
    I always hate that... Im like cmon your in a public place put your stank ass feet away... lol

Do you think the squat Shoes take the load off the glutes somewhat?