ycpspartan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ycpspartan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ycpspartan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ycpspartan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ycpspartan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ycpspartan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ycpspartan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ycpspartan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ycpspartan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ycpspartan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ycpspartan has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Alex Viada/ Hybrid Athlete Training?

Has anyone here tried this style of training? I'm a long time weight lifter turned annual marathon runner who would love a program that lets me incorporate both running and lifting instead of focusing on just one or the other for long periods of time.

I'm happy to pay for a program, it doesn't bother me to compensate someone for sharing their accumulated knowledge, but I would love to read some reviews or get a sense of what the training is like before moving forward, the only problem is that it's kind of hard to find...?

Any thoughts?

Formerly grouchyjarhead GrouchyUSMC's Avatar
    GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ycpspartan View Post
    Has anyone here tried this style of training? I'm a long time weight lifter turned annual marathon runner who would love a program that lets me incorporate both running and lifting instead of focusing on just one or the other for long periods of time.

I'm happy to pay for a program, it doesn't bother me to compensate someone for sharing their accumulated knowledge, but I would love to read some reviews or get a sense of what the training is like before moving forward, the only problem is that it's kind of hard to find...?

Any thoughts?
    No experience with his program personally, but as a former strongman competitor turned endurance athlete I cannot recommend Tactical Barbell's conditioning book highly enough for those who want to lift in conjunction with endurance work.

ycpspartan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ycpspartan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ycpspartan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ycpspartan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ycpspartan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ycpspartan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ycpspartan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ycpspartan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ycpspartan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ycpspartan has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ycpspartan has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by GrouchyUSMC View Post
    No experience with his program personally, but as a former strongman competitor turned endurance athlete I cannot recommend Tactical Barbell's conditioning book highly enough for those who want to lift in conjunction with endurance work.
    Thanks! Technically you deserve commission on the sale you just made.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Just do your marathon training and then go to the gym?

GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ycpspartan View Post
    Thanks! Technically you deserve commission on the sale you just made.
    Haha, I wish. Fantastic read though - it really opened my eyes to proper conditioning around lifting and how to excel at both. I mostly use the Green template nowadays.

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by GrouchyUSMC View Post
    Haha, I wish. Fantastic read though - it really opened my eyes to proper conditioning around lifting and how to excel at both. I mostly use the Green template nowadays.
    If I may ask, did your strongman training approach get in the way of any military prequalification? Things like bodyweight, runtime, callisthenic performance, etc., since those tend to be inversely correlated with strongman performance and raw strength.
    Bench: 340
    Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 505

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

Originally Posted by EliKoehn View Post
    If I may ask, did your strongman training approach get in the way of any military prequalification? Things like bodyweight, runtime, callisthenic performance, etc., since those tend to be inversely correlated with strongman performance and raw strength.
    I balanced the two fairly well because I was still young, so it wasn't unusual to do unit PT and lift heavy in the same day. All I was concerned about was the Physical Fitness Test by that point though. I wasn't the strongest competitor but I was pretty athletic so I managed to do well in different events.