Dickling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Help for sort of a recomp?

I need your help, bbbros.

So I'm at weird state of my fitness/fatloss journey.

I have been losing weight for a good long while, and have gone from around 265 to my present weight of 167. Around two years ago, I was in solid shape, also muscle wise, and was probably around 180 or so. Not super strong or anything, but in decentish shape. I have always had trouble getting the last fat off, but it was getting there. However, after the corona year with little to no training, I have actually lost a lot of weight, but seemingly recomped for the worse, losing a lot of muscle and now actually being quite fat around the belly area.
    This ofcourse can't stand! - I will thus try and remedy the situation.

I used to do a standard program of ABxABxx but this has obviously been stifled hard by the rona. I have gotten access to some relatively light weights, but have at least some ability to workout- No heavy squatting and deadlifting though unfortunately.

So, you know the situation, do you have any advice for me? Should i be trying to gain muscle, recomp or cut? I feel like a cut would be detrimental, as I'm most likely extremely weak at the moment, so at least some sort of attempt to scale up my strength is probably the move to make.

I want to hear everyone's take though.

If you need pictures, let me know.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Not unusual situation at all - got to gain muscle and lose fat. If you aren't super skinny or super fat then the order you tackle those in isn't that important. So contrary to what a lot of people think, being in the middle ground gives you more options not more problems.

Work hard with the weights you have and try to stay the same weight whilst making progress for now. Ensure you are getting at least 130g of protein per day. So this would basically be a recomp - but if progress starts to slow then add 200 cals and see if that gets it moving again.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Not unusual situation at all - got to gain muscle and lose fat. If you aren't super skinny or super fat then the order you tackle those in isn't that important. So contrary to what a lot of people think, being in the middle ground gives you more options not more problems.

Work hard with the weights you have and try to stay the same weight whilst making progress for now. Ensure you are getting at least 130g of protein per day. So this would basically be a recomp - but if progress starts to slow then add 200 cals and see if that gets it moving again.
    Appreciate a useful response!

My current problem (And one I have had throughout my cut) is that i have an appetite quite a bit larger than what it should be. So with my weight that low, i can only eat a minisucle amount of calories, which really makes the cut hard to maintain. That's why i considered trying to "bulk up" a bit.

I suppose it's just mind over matter?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    I suggest that you try eating at maintenance for at least a week. Hopefully your appetite settles down once your glycogen stores are topped back up. If it doesn't, I'm afraid you are going to have to work to keep your weight down or eat less calorie dense foods and hope that your "set point" moves over time.

It's never a good idea to "bulk" except for very underweight people. Even if you go all out for muscle gain, you are probably only going to benefit from (say) 200 calories above maintenance - any more will just add extra fat...

Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Yes, a pic is always helpful. Many times that will greatly alter the advice.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    Yes, a pic is always helpful. Many times that will greatly alter the advice.

Okay, here we go. -
    As you can see, i went from a fairly decent shape (please excuse the legs, i didn't have a proper leg training setup back then - To this sorry shape. Lost most of the muscle mass and carry ALOT of fat now.

I am 187 cm tall btw, so I feel like I have a huge amount of fat compared to how light I am.

Advice would be much appreciated.

Better shape (2).jpgBetter shape (1).jpgNow (2).jpgNow (3).jpgNow (1).jpg

Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Well the good news is since you had muscle before it goes back on fairly easily after a lay-off. There are 2 options one is to eat in a slight deficit and one is to eat at maintenance with both scenarios using proper weight training. The slight deficit will allow for some slow fatloss and potential slow muscle gain. Maintenance will allow for better muscle growth. A slight surplus will be optimum for muscle growth. All will require playing around with calorie amounts until you’re headed in the direction you want.

Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    Well the good news is since you had muscle before it goes back on fairly easily after a lay-off. There are 2 options one is to eat in a slight deficit and one is to eat at maintenance with both scenarios using proper weight training. The slight deficit will allow for some slow fatloss and potential slow muscle gain. Maintenance will allow for better muscle growth. A slight surplus will be optimum for muscle growth. All will require playing around with calorie amounts until you’re headed in the direction you want.
    What would you expect would be most beneficial? Bear in mind, I'm really embarrassingly weak right now .. I'm thinking maintenance might be the way to go, until i regain a bit of strength?

Originally Posted by Dickling View Post
    What would you expect would be most beneficial? Bear in mind, I'm really embarrassingly weak right now .. I'm thinking maintenance might be the way to go, until i regain a bit of strength?
    it all depends on your priorities. If strength then maintenance. If fatloss then a deficit if muscle gain then a Slight surplus.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    I suggest that you try eating at maintenance for at least a week. Hopefully your appetite settles down once your glycogen stores are topped back up. If it doesn't, I'm afraid you are going to have to work to keep your weight down or eat less calorie dense foods and hope that your "set point" moves over time.

It's never a good idea to "bulk" except for very underweight people. Even if you go all out for muscle gain, you are probably only going to benefit from (say) 200 calories above maintenance - any more will just add extra fat...
    Gonna bump this again for more opinions.

Im not in for a "bulk" as such, but more of a lean gains approach. Im just not seeing cutting as so beneficial when I'm super weak - Does my logic make sense?

Yes, you can try to eat at around maintenance and see if you make consistent measurable progress in the gym with your lifting.

If you stall, you may have to increase calories - but it could also be a programming related problem.

Recomping is slow though, so bear in mind that it's hard to see much happening... this might get frustrating.

sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Dickling View Post
    Gonna bump this again for more opinions.

Im not in for a "bulk" as such, but more of a lean gains approach. Im just not seeing cutting as so beneficial when I'm super weak - Does my logic make sense?
    The "lean gains" approach would essentially be eating at maintenance until your lifts stall. If you're as weak as you say you are, you should be able to progress for a while before stalling. Depending on where you are at that point, you could either up your calories by 200 or start your deficit if you've made enough gains to be happy.

You're looking for the magic bullet, the strategy that will get you both lean and muscle gains - but it doesn't exist. You're going to have to focus on one first, then the other. If you being "super weak" bothers you more than your excess fat, then focus on that.

Basically everything Tommy and Suffolk said lol.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    To my eyes, your legs look a bit more muscular now than before. I think you're more due for a slow bulk rather than staying at maintenance.
    Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16