Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 43
  1. #1
    Registered User r0undeye's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2014
    Location: Canada
    Age: 44
    Posts: 20
    Rep Power: 0
    r0undeye has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    r0undeye is offline

    Question Functional Trainers: INSPIRE FT2 versus TuffStuff CXT-200

    Hey all!

    This is only my 2nd post in many, MANY years (apologies if this thread exists elsewhere); hoping you can help out with a decision based on company history/product support:

    - Inspire's FT2 up against TuffStuff's CXT-200
    - (built-in Smith on the FT2 not a real selling point for me, but nice bonus)

    I'm more so about post-purchase support, i.e. once it comes time to replace parts/honor the Lifetime Residential Warranty that both companies offer. Also, I live in Ontario, Canada, if that affects either company's support/response time at all...?

    Thank you in advance for your input/time!!
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Registered User ripper238's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2017
    Location: Connecticut, United States
    Posts: 291
    Rep Power: 571
    ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    ripper238 is offline
    Originally Posted by r0undeye View Post
    Hey all!

    This is only my 2nd post in many, MANY years (apologies if this thread exists elsewhere); hoping you can help out with a decision based on company history/product support:

    - Inspire's FT2 up against TuffStuff's CXT-200
    - (built-in Smith on the FT2 not a real selling point for me, but nice bonus)

    I'm more so about post-purchase support, i.e. once it comes time to replace parts/honor the Lifetime Residential Warranty that both companies offer. Also, I live in Ontario, Canada, if that affects either company's support/response time at all...?

    Thank you in advance for your input/time!!
    i would definitely lean towards the TuffStuff brand over the Inspire for there over all better fit and finish as well s long term durability. The CXT has also been refined over quite a few years now.

    I have been in the industry 25 years and have always sold/serviced TuffStuff. They have always been supportive with there parts availability and don't just make a new model every few years, so you can be confident parts will be available for a long time.

    You can always add the smith to the CXT as well. Its also really cool that its designed to fit in a corner so well and has the 4 to 1 or 2 to 1 ratio option on the fly.
    Last edited by ripper238; 03-27-2021 at 12:45 PM.
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Registered User r0undeye's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2014
    Location: Canada
    Age: 44
    Posts: 20
    Rep Power: 0
    r0undeye has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    r0undeye is offline
    Originally Posted by ripper238 View Post
    i would definitely lean towards the TuffStuff brand over the Inspire for there over all better fit and finish as well s long term durability. The CXT has also been refined over quite a few years now.

    I have been in the industry 25 years and have always sold/serviced TuffStuff. They have always been supportive with there parts availability and don't just make a new model every few years, so you can be confident parts will be available for a long time.

    You can always add the smith to the CXT as well. Its also really cool that its designed to fit in a corner so well and has the 4 to 1 or 2 to 1 ratio option on the fly.
    Thank you, @ripper238!

    I appreciate the experience - especially noting that TuffStuff parts should be available for some time to come. They've been around longer (70's, I believe?); however, Inspire looks to have been founded in 2002/2004 by former Precor pros. Their stuff seems to have exploded as of late; I'm in no way a fan, but Dana White has the FT2 in his gym when he stays in Dubai! Again, not to name drop but it's one of those, "If THIS GUY's got it, and Dubai of all places use it, maybe there's something to it?!", you know what I mean?

    I like the corner design of the CXT-200, the aesthetic with the fully-covered weight stacks... but FT2 is firmly tugging the other way.

    Here in Canada, I can get the FT2 for $4600 + $200 delivery/drop-off, or the CXT-200 for $4300 + $200 del/drop. Here's another point: the FT2 comes from FitnessDepot, a long-term (over 30 yrs) shop; the CXT-200 is from a slightly younger/smaller retailer (thinking for support down the road as well).

    It really IS down to the company/longevity and support, as a $300 separator is not a huge deal-breaker...
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Registered User ripper238's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2017
    Location: Connecticut, United States
    Posts: 291
    Rep Power: 571
    ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    ripper238 is offline
    Originally Posted by r0undeye View Post
    Thank you, @ripper238!

    I appreciate the experience - especially noting that TuffStuff parts should be available for some time to come. They've been around longer (70's, I believe?); however, Inspire looks to have been founded in 2002/2004 by former Precor pros. Their stuff seems to have exploded as of late; I'm in no way a fan, but Dana White has the FT2 in his gym when he stays in Dubai! Again, not to name drop but it's one of those, "If THIS GUY's got it, and Dubai of all places use it, maybe there's something to it?!", you know what I mean?

    I like the corner design of the CXT-200, the aesthetic with the fully-covered weight stacks... but FT2 is firmly tugging the other way.

    Here in Canada, I can get the FT2 for $4600 + $200 delivery/drop-off, or the CXT-200 for $4300 + $200 del/drop. Here's another point: the FT2 comes from FitnessDepot, a long-term (over 30 yrs) shop; the CXT-200 is from a slightly younger/smaller retailer (thinking for support down the road as well).

    It really IS down to the company/longevity and support, as a $300 separator is not a huge deal-breaker...
    Yes, 1971 so lots of equipment manufacturing experience. I have installed the CXT at the US coast Guard and so many clubs let alone famous people. But in the end buying from someone you know that's been around is important.

    Good luck!
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Registered User r0undeye's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2014
    Location: Canada
    Age: 44
    Posts: 20
    Rep Power: 0
    r0undeye has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    r0undeye is offline
    Originally Posted by ripper238 View Post
    Yes, 1971 so lots of equipment manufacturing experience. I have installed the CXT at the US coast Guard and so many clubs let alone famous people. But in the end buying from someone you know that's been around is important.

    Good luck!
    Heck of an endorsement: US Coast Guard, even...

    Can't overstate how much I appreciate the advice, especially since you yourself have installed the very machine I'm considering!!
    It's down to the wire now, but this certainly has helped.

    Thank you - stay safe!!
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Multi-Platinum User radrd's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2018
    Posts: 6,304
    Rep Power: 69391
    radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    radrd is offline
    I know Inspire has a lot of fans on this forum. You might look at Cybex and Prime Fitness as well.
    Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    Registered User r0undeye's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2014
    Location: Canada
    Age: 44
    Posts: 20
    Rep Power: 0
    r0undeye has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    r0undeye is offline
    Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    I know Inspire has a lot of fans on this forum. You might look at Cybex and Prime Fitness as well.
    I appreciate that! Inspire seems to be the "in"-brand currently...

    Sadly, Prime Fitness and Cybex aren't options in my area - interesting side note: it's Cybex's BRAVO Functional Trainer that introduced me to these types of machines MANY years ago!! Loved it, but back then I think it was $6000+, unfortunately. Now, simply unavailable!
    Last edited by r0undeye; 03-27-2021 at 03:29 PM.
    Reply With Quote

  8. #8
    Registered User r0undeye's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2014
    Location: Canada
    Age: 44
    Posts: 20
    Rep Power: 0
    r0undeye has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    r0undeye is offline
    Originally Posted by ripper238 View Post
    Yes, 1971 so lots of equipment manufacturing experience. I have installed the CXT at the US coast Guard and so many clubs let alone famous people. But in the end buying from someone you know that's been around is important.

    Good luck!
    ripper238 - I need your input on two things, please! Anchoring, and the warranty:

    1. How critical is anchoring/bolting the unit to the floor? The CXT-200 manual makes the following mention:

    "Anchoring of equipment must be completed at time of
    installation and inspected prior to use. Failure to anchor the
    machine to the floor could cause the machine to tip or fall over
    due to incorrect usage and misuse, and could result in serious
    injury or death."

    I know it states "incorrect usage/misuse", but on the flip side, FT2 users/reviews specifically call out the fact that it doesn't even have bolt holes/need to be anchored. I'm 40+ and not going to be going crazy tugging on the unit, ha!

    What's your take, please?

    2. Also, regarding wear warranty/component replacement, TuffStuff seems a little ambiguous: it initially says ONLY on defects... so normal wear & tear is not covered??
    Then if you read the four "This warranty does not cover" points online/in the manual, it doesn't mention anything about NOT covering normal use, only MISuse! Weirdly ambiguous, haha!

    - So if in 3 years or 7 years or whenever down the road pulleys/cables need replacing despite my following the maintenance schedule, I would need to purchase them direct from TFI, or would they replace free of charge?
    Last edited by r0undeye; 03-27-2021 at 03:29 PM.
    Reply With Quote

  9. #9
    OG Duplicitous's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2010
    Location: Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts: 1,560
    Rep Power: 6670
    Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Duplicitous is offline
    Originally Posted by r0undeye View Post
    I appreciate that! Inspire seems to be the "in"-brand currently...

    Sadly, Prime Fitness and Cybex aren't options in my area - interesting side note: it's Cybex's BRAVO Functional Trainer that introduced me to these types of machines MANY years ago!! Loved it, but back then I think it was $6000+, unfortunately. Now, simply unavailable!
    Inspire is so popular because of the quality for the money. The top 2 FTs you can buy for $2,500 or less are both made by Inspire (FT1 and FTX). I don't think there's another FT out there in that price range that is as smooth. Heck, the FTX is about $1,400 and it comes with a bench to boot. If you start including used models for the same $2,500, the field opens up quite a bit as you can often get a full commercial FT for that or not too much more. I've never used the CXt-200, but my experience with TuffStuff has been largely positive so I'm sure it's a good machine. At the $4,500 price point though, I could have my pick of used, full commercial units including the Bravo, Star Trac Instinct, Life Fitness CMDAP, Heck, at that price you are most of the way to Legend's FT Fusion piece.

    Originally Posted by r0undeye View Post
    Also, regarding wear warranty/component replacement, TuffStuff seems a little ambiguous: it initially says ONLY on defects... so normal wear & tear is not covered??
    Then if you read the four "This warranty does not cover" points online/in the manual, it doesn't mention anything about NOT covering normal use, only MISuse! Weirdly ambiguous, haha!

    - So if in 3 years or 7 years or whenever down the road pulleys/cables need replacing despite my following the maintenance schedule, I would need to purchase them direct from TFI, or would they replace free of charge?
    None of the manufacturers are going to cover wear components like cables unless there was some clear indication of a premature failure caused by an obvious defect. If, for example, the crimped end of the cable were to become detached from the cable while you were using it to lift no more than the weight stack provided with the machine, they would probably cover that. The vinyl wearing through over time, however, would be on your dime. Pulleys will eventually wear as well, but as long as the cables aren't permitted to get down to bare metal, a good pulley usually lasts 20 years. They're only about $10 anyway, so I wouldn't put any real thought into it.
    Reply With Quote

  10. #10
    Registered User Asjogren's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2013
    Location: United States
    Age: 60
    Posts: 559
    Rep Power: 2273
    Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000) Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000) Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000) Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000) Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000) Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000) Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000) Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000) Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000) Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000) Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000)
    Asjogren is offline
    Originally Posted by r0undeye View Post
    Thank you, @ripper238!

    I appreciate the experience - especially noting that TuffStuff parts should be available for some time to come. They've been around longer (70's, I believe?); however, Inspire looks to have been founded in 2002/2004 by former Precor pros. Their stuff seems to have exploded as of late; I'm in no way a fan, but Dana White has the FT2 in his gym when he stays in Dubai! Again, not to name drop but it's one of those, "If THIS GUY's got it, and Dubai of all places use it, maybe there's something to it?!", you know what I mean?

    I like the corner design of the CXT-200, the aesthetic with the fully-covered weight stacks... but FT2 is firmly tugging the other way.

    Here in Canada, I can get the FT2 for $4600 + $200 delivery/drop-off, or the CXT-200 for $4300 + $200 del/drop. Here's another point: the FT2 comes from FitnessDepot, a long-term (over 30 yrs) shop; the CXT-200 is from a slightly younger/smaller retailer (thinking for support down the road as well).

    It really IS down to the company/longevity and support, as a $300 separator is not a huge deal-breaker...
    Had that exact dilemma 5 years ago. Tried them out and ended up with the FT2. No regrets and for what it’s worth,I love the thing. I use it on every workout. Wouldn’t even think of selling it

    Attached Images
    Reply With Quote

  11. #11
    Registered User r0undeye's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2014
    Location: Canada
    Age: 44
    Posts: 20
    Rep Power: 0
    r0undeye has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    r0undeye is offline
    Originally Posted by Duplicitous View Post
    Inspire is so popular because of the quality for the money. The top 2 FTs you can buy for $2,500 or less are both made by Inspire (FT1 and FTX). I don't think there's another FT out there in that price range that is as smooth. Heck, the FTX is about $1,400 and it comes with a bench to boot. If you start including used models for the same $2,500, the field opens up quite a bit as you can often get a full commercial FT for that or not too much more. I've never used the CXt-200, but my experience with TuffStuff has been largely positive so I'm sure it's a good machine. At the $4,500 price point though, I could have my pick of used, full commercial units including the Bravo, Star Trac Instinct, Life Fitness CMDAP, Heck, at that price you are most of the way to Legend's FT Fusion piece.



    None of the manufacturers are going to cover wear components like cables unless there was some clear indication of a premature failure caused by an obvious defect. If, for example, the crimped end of the cable were to become detached from the cable while you were using it to lift no more than the weight stack provided with the machine, they would probably cover that. The vinyl wearing through over time, however, would be on your dime. Pulleys will eventually wear as well, but as long as the cables aren't permitted to get down to bare metal, a good pulley usually lasts 20 years. They're only about $10 anyway, so I wouldn't put any real thought into it.
    @Duplicitous, I can't thank you enough for both of your thoughtful responses. I've had no experience with FTs outside of the Cybex BRAVO back in 2012 or so; reading what you wrote certainly helps take away a lot of the "what ifs" down the road. Also, knowing the components aren't ludicrously pricey is a massive relief as well! (Provided either company is still around & I'm still upright, haha!) Thanks for clarifying, along with the example.

    EDIT: I *did* look into the other FTs you mentioned as well - none available readily in Canada, unfortunately. Funny thing, though: none seem to have the high/low pulley stations that allow for rows/etc using the double-stack!

    One thing I am lamenting in the design of both the FT2 as well as the CXT-200: no neutral-grip pull-up handles. Dropped ball there on both manufacturer's parts.


    Really appreciate your time!!!
    Last edited by r0undeye; 03-27-2021 at 08:18 PM.
    Reply With Quote

  12. #12
    Registered User r0undeye's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2014
    Location: Canada
    Age: 44
    Posts: 20
    Rep Power: 0
    r0undeye has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    r0undeye is offline
    Originally Posted by Asjogren View Post
    Had that exact dilemma 5 years ago. Tried them out and ended up with the FT2. No regrets and for what it’s worth,I love the thing. I use it on every workout. Wouldn’t even think of selling it
    @Asjogren - too funny! Same machines that I'm currently considering??! 5 years strong (pun intended), and no issues with the FT2? I appreciate the input very much. It looks like an absolute monster - I guess there's where the patented corner-design of the CXT-200 comes out on top, when it can be tucked into any corner with the way it's legs are spread... though maybe that wide open stance is why they say to anchor it into the floor..??

    Thank you for adding your thoughts to the information pool!!
    Reply With Quote

  13. #13
    OG Duplicitous's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2010
    Location: Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts: 1,560
    Rep Power: 6670
    Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Duplicitous is offline
    Originally Posted by r0undeye View Post
    @Duplicitous, I can't thank you enough for both of your thoughtful responses. I've had no experience with FTs outside of the Cybex BRAVO back in 2012 or so; reading what you wrote certainly helps take away a lot of the "what ifs" down the road. Also, knowing the components aren't ludicrously pricey is a massive relief as well! (Provided either company is still around & I'm still upright, haha!) Thanks for clarifying, along with the example.

    EDIT: I *did* look into the other FTs you mentioned as well - none available readily in Canada, unfortunately. Funny thing, though: none seem to have the high/low pulley stations that allow for rows/etc using the double-stack!

    One thing I am lamenting in the design of both the FT2 as well as the CXT-200: no neutral-grip pull-up handles. Dropped ball there on both manufacturer's parts.


    Really appreciate your time!!!
    Np. The 2 main wear components on an FT are going to be the cables and the pulleys. Pulleys can be obtained from a variety of places ranging from gym supply houses to industrial supply houses to eBay. Cables can be purchased from any major fitness parts supply house. If you can't get an OEM cable, both Sportsmith and National Gym Supply, for example, offer cables custom cut to any length you want.
    Reply With Quote

  14. #14
    Registered User r0undeye's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2014
    Location: Canada
    Age: 44
    Posts: 20
    Rep Power: 0
    r0undeye has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    r0undeye is offline
    Originally Posted by Duplicitous View Post
    Np. The 2 main wear components on an FT are going to be the cables and the pulleys. Pulleys can be obtained from a variety of places ranging from gym supply houses to industrial supply houses to eBay. Cables can be purchased from any major fitness parts supply house. If you can't get an OEM cable, both Sportsmith and National Gym Supply, for example, offer cables custom cut to any length you want.
    ^ That right there is tremendous help, to be completely honest - you read my mind. I had figured those would be the main 'pain points' regarding wear/replacement. It's awesome to know, should it be a huge hassle to source OEM, that there are options available - namely the nylon-sheathed cable. I was wondering where the heck to turn if either company made it difficult down the road! Here's hoping they ship to Canada so I've got that in my back pocket whenever the time should come.

    In your opinion, any reason why TuffStuff's pretty adamant about bolting to the floor? Simply liability coverage on their part for people who misuse/monkey around with the equipment? I was surprised to read that requirement in the downloadable manual...
    Reply With Quote

  15. #15
    OG Duplicitous's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2010
    Location: Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts: 1,560
    Rep Power: 6670
    Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Duplicitous is offline
    Originally Posted by r0undeye View Post
    In your opinion, any reason why TuffStuff's pretty adamant about bolting to the floor? Simply liability coverage on their part for people who misuse/monkey around with the equipment? I was surprised to read that requirement in the downloadable manual...
    While I haven't used that particular machine, it's hard to imagine it toppling over with normal usage at 740 lbs. My Life Fitness CMDAP weighs in at 1,265 lbs and still carries a warning that bolting to the floor is recommended and, moreover, that you get a licensed contractor to do it. So yes, I think it's just a legal CYA approach. I have not bolted any of my equipment to the floor and all of it has the means to do so.
    Reply With Quote

  16. #16
    Registered User Asjogren's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2013
    Location: United States
    Age: 60
    Posts: 559
    Rep Power: 2273
    Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000) Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000) Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000) Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000) Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000) Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000) Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000) Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000) Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000) Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000) Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000)
    Asjogren is offline
    Originally Posted by Duplicitous View Post
    While I haven't used that particular machine, it's hard to imagine it toppling over with normal usage at 740 lbs. My Life Fitness CMDAP weighs in at 1,265 lbs and still carries a warning that bolting to the floor is recommended and, moreover, that you get a licensed contractor to do it. So yes, I think it's just a legal CYA approach. I have not bolted any of my equipment to the floor and all of it has the means to do so.
    I agree. No way you’re tipping that thing over. Most companies have that CYA type of language. With the stack locations on most of the functional trainers,the center of gravity would make it real hard to tip

    Almost bought that Life Fitness unit but my ceiling height of 88” wouldn’t allow it. Nice unit and was in like new shape and a good price of $2500. Very Disappointing it wouldn’t fit. The FT2 fit and was adjustable and I got it new for 3k(he matched the Tuff Stuff sale price ).
    Reply With Quote

  17. #17
    Registered User Asjogren's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2013
    Location: United States
    Age: 60
    Posts: 559
    Rep Power: 2273
    Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000) Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000) Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000) Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000) Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000) Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000) Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000) Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000) Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000) Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000) Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000)
    Asjogren is offline
    Originally Posted by r0undeye View Post
    @Asjogren - too funny! Same machines that I'm currently considering??! 5 years strong (pun intended), and no issues with the FT2? I appreciate the input very much. It looks like an absolute monster - I guess there's where the patented corner-design of the CXT-200 comes out on top, when it can be tucked into any corner with the way it's legs are spread... though maybe that wide open stance is why they say to anchor it into the floor..??

    Thank you for adding your thoughts to the information pool!!
    5 years ago, the Tuff Stuff was on sale for $3000 and The FT2 was $4000 full price. I bought the FT2 because he matched the 3k tuff stuff sale price. Man the prices have jumped up since then.


    You can’t go wrong either way and you will love having a functional trainer. Great versatility .good luck
    Reply With Quote

  18. #18
    Registered User r0undeye's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2014
    Location: Canada
    Age: 44
    Posts: 20
    Rep Power: 0
    r0undeye has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    r0undeye is offline
    Originally Posted by Duplicitous View Post
    While I haven't used that particular machine, it's hard to imagine it toppling over with normal usage at 740 lbs. My Life Fitness CMDAP weighs in at 1,265 lbs and still carries a warning that bolting to the floor is recommended and, moreover, that you get a licensed contractor to do it. So yes, I think it's just a legal CYA approach. I have not bolted any of my equipment to the floor and all of it has the means to do so.
    Standard CYA-clause - noted, haha! Not surprised in the least, but it helps to hear that others aren't bolting to the floor.

    At this point I'm leaning towards the FT2, simply because they've actually been responsive to emails whereas TuffStuff for some reason has yet to reply (been over a week). I kept my email to two sentences, even (as you can imagine, I'm prone to dialogue, haha), yet nothing in terms of a response.

    As I mentioned before, I can't overstate how much I appreciate your time and input!!
    Reply With Quote

  19. #19
    Registered User r0undeye's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2014
    Location: Canada
    Age: 44
    Posts: 20
    Rep Power: 0
    r0undeye has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    r0undeye is offline
    Originally Posted by Asjogren View Post
    5 years ago, the Tuff Stuff was on sale for $3000 and The FT2 was $4000 full price. I bought the FT2 because he matched the 3k tuff stuff sale price. Man the prices have jumped up since then.


    You can’t go wrong either way and you will love having a functional trainer. Great versatility .good luck
    @Asjogren - I mentioned the Canadian pricing earlier ($4300 + $200 delivery for the TuffStuff CXT, $4600 + $200 delivery for the FT2) from two separate retailers (neither carry both brands, sadly)... the CXT-guy dropped his price by $200 to reach that number; I mentioned it to the larger retailer re: FT2 but they wouldn't budge; glad you were able to get your store to match!!

    The choice is now primarily aesthetics (I'm visual, so silly as it sounds, it's kind of a biggie, haha!) and a $340 differential after taxes...

    I appreciate your/everyone's input so much - it's hard for me to part with that much money (especially during uncertain times), which is why all the feedback means a ton to me!
    Reply With Quote

  20. #20
    Registered User ripper238's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2017
    Location: Connecticut, United States
    Posts: 291
    Rep Power: 571
    ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    ripper238 is offline
    Originally Posted by r0undeye View Post
    ripper238 - I need your input on two things, please! Anchoring, and the warranty:

    1. How critical is anchoring/bolting the unit to the floor? The CXT-200 manual makes the following mention:

    "Anchoring of equipment must be completed at time of
    installation and inspected prior to use. Failure to anchor the
    machine to the floor could cause the machine to tip or fall over
    due to incorrect usage and misuse, and could result in serious
    injury or death."

    I know it states "incorrect usage/misuse", but on the flip side, FT2 users/reviews specifically call out the fact that it doesn't even have bolt holes/need to be anchored. I'm 40+ and not going to be going crazy tugging on the unit, ha!

    What's your take, please?

    2. Also, regarding wear warranty/component replacement, TuffStuff seems a little ambiguous: it initially says ONLY on defects... so normal wear & tear is not covered??
    Then if you read the four "This warranty does not cover" points online/in the manual, it doesn't mention anything about NOT covering normal use, only MISuse! Weirdly ambiguous, haha!

    - So if in 3 years or 7 years or whenever down the road pulleys/cables need replacing despite my following the maintenance schedule, I would need to purchase them direct from TFI, or would they replace free of charge?
    Anchoring is simply an option for those who want to, TuffStuff tends to provide more overkill than some. I have never bolted one down and they are very grounded and solid without doing so. I wouldn't worry about it in ether case.

    Most manufacturers are not going to cover regular wear unless they are blowing smoke up your... Its unlikely you would wear anything out on the CXT for many many years, this thing is at LT Commercial facilities for many many years. I have yet to have a client call me do to warn out CXT cables or any issues. You can always get parts from the manufacturer or local dealer. TuffStuff can send you parts directly if ever needed but if its normal wear you would need to pay for it.
    Reply With Quote

  21. #21
    Registered User r0undeye's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2014
    Location: Canada
    Age: 44
    Posts: 20
    Rep Power: 0
    r0undeye has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    r0undeye is offline
    Originally Posted by ripper238 View Post
    Anchoring is simply an option for those who want to, TuffStuff tends to provide more overkill than some. I have never bolted one down and they are very grounded and solid without doing so. I wouldn't worry about it in ether case.

    Most manufacturers are not going to cover regular wear unless they are blowing smoke up your... Its unlikely you would wear anything out on the CXT for many many years, this thing is at LT Commercial facilities for many many years. I have yet to have a client call me do to warn out CXT cables or any issues. You can always get parts from the manufacturer or local dealer. TuffStuff can send you parts directly if ever needed but if its normal wear you would need to pay for it.
    Very much appreciated, @ripper238! I guess overkill is better than the alternate, haha!

    Curious if TuffStuff would ship direct to Canada - they've yet to respond to my email from over a week ago regarding replacement part availability...

    Thank you!!
    Reply With Quote

  22. #22
    Registered User r0undeye's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2014
    Location: Canada
    Age: 44
    Posts: 20
    Rep Power: 0
    r0undeye has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    r0undeye is offline
    Originally Posted by ripper238 View Post
    Anchoring is simply an option for those who want to, TuffStuff tends to provide more overkill than some. I have never bolted one down and they are very grounded and solid without doing so. I wouldn't worry about it in ether case.

    Most manufacturers are not going to cover regular wear unless they are blowing smoke up your... Its unlikely you would wear anything out on the CXT for many many years, this thing is at LT Commercial facilities for many many years. I have yet to have a client call me do to warn out CXT cables or any issues. You can always get parts from the manufacturer or local dealer. TuffStuff can send you parts directly if ever needed but if its normal wear you would need to pay for it.
    @ripper238 - one quickie/final question, if you wouldn't mind: the FT2 has seen some revisions in the past 2 years or so (all-black + chrome frame now, some decals are actually now badges already affixed, etc); do you know if I should be watching out for a certain model/serial # series on the CXT-200 to ensure it's the latest & greatest revision and not stock from 2018 from the back of the warehouse, haha!!?
    Reply With Quote

  23. #23
    Registered User gym62richard's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2011
    Age: 60
    Posts: 2,961
    Rep Power: 22087
    gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    gym62richard is offline
    Originally Posted by r0undeye View Post
    @ripper238 - one quickie/final question, if you wouldn't mind: the FT2 has seen some revisions in the past 2 years or so (all-black + chrome frame now, some decals are actually now badges already affixed, etc); do you know if I should be watching out for a certain model/serial # series on the CXT-200 to ensure it's the latest & greatest revision and not stock from 2018 from the back of the warehouse, haha!!?

    I don't imagine any equipment seller/manufacturer has equipment lying at the back of the warehouse, the pandemic has stripped sellers of their old stock, both in the home and commercial sector.

    I have the Cybex Bravo and really rate it, I picked mine up a couple of years ago, since the pandemic they're fetching stupid money and you'd be lucky to find one.

    I've also spent a fair amount of time on the Inspire FT1, it's a great little unit, both quality and functionality wise, it's as smooth as my Bravo, I'd still rate it the best value Functional Trainer for home use.
    Reply With Quote

  24. #24
    Registered User r0undeye's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2014
    Location: Canada
    Age: 44
    Posts: 20
    Rep Power: 0
    r0undeye has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    r0undeye is offline
    Originally Posted by gym62richard View Post
    I don't imagine any equipment seller/manufacturer has equipment lying at the back of the warehouse, the pandemic has stripped sellers of their old stock, both in the home and commercial sector.

    I have the Cybex Bravo and really rate it, I picked mine up a couple of years ago, since the pandemic they're fetching stupid money and you'd be lucky to find one.

    I've also spent a fair amount of time on the Inspire FT1, it's a great little unit, both quality and functionality wise, it's as smooth as my Bravo, I'd still rate it the best value Functional Trainer for home use.
    That's a good point, @gym62richard - makes sense considering the pandemic-related run on gym supplies/equipment. Thanks! I couldn't even find a retailer in Canada that sold Cybex equipment; figured maybe around here they only sell to gyms. (I was curious as to what 2021 pricing was, but oh well!)

    I had initially considered the FTX, believe it or not - however, the high/low pulley stations are pretty important to me, so I've made my peace with ponying up some extra $$$ for a unit that'll last a lifetime along with no compromises!
    (Except for that damn lack of neutral grip positioning on the pull-up bar, haha!!)

    Certainly sounds like either unit is a winner - really appreciate the support, all!!
    Last edited by r0undeye; 03-28-2021 at 08:04 PM.
    Reply With Quote

  25. #25
    Registered User C123C's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2007
    Location: Pennsylvania, United States
    Age: 48
    Posts: 2,494
    Rep Power: 10012
    C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000)
    C123C is offline
    Originally Posted by gym62richard View Post
    I don't imagine any equipment seller/manufacturer has equipment lying at the back of the warehouse, the pandemic has stripped sellers of their old stock, both in the home and commercial sector.

    I have the Cybex Bravo and really rate it, I picked mine up a couple of years ago, since the pandemic they're fetching stupid money and you'd be lucky to find one.

    I've also spent a fair amount of time on the Inspire FT1, it's a great little unit, both quality and functionality wise, it's as smooth as my Bravo, I'd still rate it the best value Functional Trainer for home use.
    As an aside, a few months ago I saw what may be the greatest equipment deal ever found...mint Bravo top end unit had for like $300-500 (want to say 300 but can't remember) by a guy who posted it on a Facebook Group. Unbelievable at the best of times but during this pandemic...shocking.
    ▪█─────█▪ Rogue Barbell Crew #27 ▪█─────█▪

    ▪█─────█▪ Mech6 Crew #26 ▪█─────█▪

    Haven't been able to "rep" many of you for a year or more...not for lack of trying.

    Home Gym: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1615740991&viewfull=1#post1615740991
    Reply With Quote

  26. #26
    Registered User gym62richard's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2011
    Age: 60
    Posts: 2,961
    Rep Power: 22087
    gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    gym62richard is offline
    Originally Posted by C123C View Post
    As an aside, a few months ago I saw what may be the greatest equipment deal ever found...mint Bravo top end unit had for like $300-500 (want to say 300 but can't remember) by a guy who posted it on a Facebook Group. Unbelievable at the best of times but during this pandemic...shocking.

    Lol, that wouldn't hang around for long,, I wonder whether someone put him straight, or did he sell at the asking price.
    Reply With Quote

  27. #27
    OG Duplicitous's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2010
    Location: Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts: 1,560
    Rep Power: 6670
    Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Duplicitous is offline
    Originally Posted by C123C View Post
    As an aside, a few months ago I saw what may be the greatest equipment deal ever found...mint Bravo top end unit had for like $300-500 (want to say 300 but can't remember) by a guy who posted it on a Facebook Group. Unbelievable at the best of times but during this pandemic...shocking.
    Those deals come around every now and then, but often gone in minutes. One guy on FB got a BodyCraft F660 and a 70-lb pair of dumbbells for $200 and then a few weeks later he got an entire dumbbell set for something like $50-75. I told him to go buy a lotto ticket.
    Reply With Quote

  28. #28
    Registered User r0undeye's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2014
    Location: Canada
    Age: 44
    Posts: 20
    Rep Power: 0
    r0undeye has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    r0undeye is offline
    Originally Posted by Duplicitous View Post
    Those deals come around every now and then, but often gone in minutes. One guy on FB got a BodyCraft F660 and a 70-lb pair of dumbbells for $200 and then a few weeks later he got an entire dumbbell set for something like $50-75. I told him to go buy a lotto ticket.
    Some people are born with it, haha!! (jealous but happy for them!)
    Reply With Quote

  29. #29
    Registered User C123C's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2007
    Location: Pennsylvania, United States
    Age: 48
    Posts: 2,494
    Rep Power: 10012
    C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000)
    C123C is offline
    Originally Posted by gym62richard View Post
    Lol, that wouldn't hang around for long,, I wonder whether someone put him straight, or did he sell at the asking price.
    From what I recall, he pinned it down and showed up ASAP so asking price paid. No details on anything else but if there was any issue in the transaction I gather he'd have mentioned it. Ultimately who knows though. Gorgeous mint unit. Private residence and hardly used if I recall.
    ▪█─────█▪ Rogue Barbell Crew #27 ▪█─────█▪

    ▪█─────█▪ Mech6 Crew #26 ▪█─────█▪

    Haven't been able to "rep" many of you for a year or more...not for lack of trying.

    Home Gym: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1615740991&viewfull=1#post1615740991
    Reply With Quote

  30. #30
    Registered User gym62richard's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2011
    Age: 60
    Posts: 2,961
    Rep Power: 22087
    gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    gym62richard is offline
    Originally Posted by C123C View Post
    From what I recall, he pinned it down and showed up ASAP so asking price paid. No details on anything else but if there was any issue in the transaction I gather he'd have mentioned it. Ultimately who knows though. Gorgeous mint unit. Private residence and hardly used if I recall.

    When I bought mine it was mint, I mean mint, less than 1 year old and had rarely been used in a high end private health club, I paid about $3,000 and considered it a bargain, it appears I was wrong.
    Reply With Quote

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts