fendertele is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fendertele is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fendertele is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fendertele is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fendertele is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fendertele is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fendertele is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fendertele is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fendertele is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fendertele is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fendertele is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Type 2 diabetes folks around ?

Hey,

Been lifting for around 5 years and like everyone else did the bulks/cuts and sometimes went on longer bulks for bigger gains.

I've just been diagnosed recently with type 2 diabetes... i believe this level has crept up during lockdown where i hadn't been training and continued to eat a carbilicious diet.

So my new diet is High protein/high fat and very little carbs except veg and some net carbs contained in certain creams etc...

My problem wont be losing weight but bulking for two reasons.

I've always read i need carbs for fuel and for gaining ? and for recovery with cortisol etc.... with this now almost gone in my diet i'm starting to think it's an injury waiting to happen.. and I love to lift heavy/low reps.

My other problem is one of the big things they mention that increases the diabetes is weight gain/fat gain... I would need to be doing this whilst gaining even at controlled level... is this going to be safe for a type 2 to be increasing body fat even if its controlled ?

Thanks

for any tips/advice.

StyleGent is just really nice. (+1000) StyleGent is just really nice. (+1000) StyleGent is just really nice. (+1000) StyleGent is just really nice. (+1000) StyleGent is just really nice. (+1000) StyleGent is just really nice. (+1000) StyleGent is just really nice. (+1000) StyleGent is just really nice. (+1000) StyleGent is just really nice. (+1000) StyleGent is just really nice. (+1000) StyleGent is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by fendertele View Post
    Hey,

Been lifting for around 5 years and like everyone else did the bulks/cuts and sometimes went on longer bulks for bigger gains.

I've just been diagnosed recently with type 2 diabetes... i believe this level has crept up during lockdown where i hadn't been training and continued to eat a carbilicious diet.

So my new diet is High protein/high fat and very little carbs except veg and some net carbs contained in certain creams etc...

My problem wont be losing weight but bulking for two reasons.

I've always read i need carbs for fuel and for gaining ? and for recovery with cortisol etc.... with this now almost gone in my diet i'm starting to think it's an injury waiting to happen.. and I love to lift heavy/low reps.

My other problem is one of the big things they mention that increases the diabetes is weight gain/fat gain... I would need to be doing this whilst gaining even at controlled level... is this going to be safe for a type 2 to be increasing body fat even if its controlled ?

Thanks

for any tips/advice.
    No, if you have type 2 diabetes your focus should not be on gaining weight at all. Lose weight, if you choose to do so with a low carb diet that's fine. You can also still likely eat carbs as long as you are below maintenance levels and losing weight.

Get healthy dude, type 2 diabetes causes a lot of issues including increased incidence of cancer, potential neuropathy, etc.

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by StyleGent View Post
    No, if you have type 2 diabetes your focus should not be on gaining weight at all. Lose weight, if you choose to do so with a low carb diet that's fine. You can also still likely eat carbs as long as you are below maintenance levels and losing weight.

Get healthy dude, type 2 diabetes causes a lot of issues including increased incidence of cancer, potential neuropathy, etc.
    This OP ^^^^.

What is your current height and weight? Pictures?

fendertele is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fendertele is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fendertele is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fendertele is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fendertele is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fendertele is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fendertele is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fendertele is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fendertele is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fendertele is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fendertele is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Sorry I think you've both misunderstood i've lost weight.but when time comes to build muscle/gain there is a need to be in a calorie surplus and some weight gain/fat gain whilst bulking. This is obv healthy enough for normal people to put on a few pounds whilst trying to grow but for someone that's diabetic is this still okay to do ? as the advice information out there is remain lean to keep the diabetes at bay... but i'm wanting to get back to mass gaining.

StyleGent is just really nice. (+1000) StyleGent is just really nice. (+1000) StyleGent is just really nice. (+1000) StyleGent is just really nice. (+1000) StyleGent is just really nice. (+1000) StyleGent is just really nice. (+1000) StyleGent is just really nice. (+1000) StyleGent is just really nice. (+1000) StyleGent is just really nice. (+1000) StyleGent is just really nice. (+1000) StyleGent is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by fendertele View Post
    Sorry I think you've both misunderstood i've lost weight.but when time comes to build muscle/gain there is a need to be in a calorie surplus and some weight gain/fat gain whilst bulking. This is obv healthy enough for normal people to put on a few pounds whilst trying to grow but for someone that's diabetic is this still okay to do ? as the advice information out there is remain lean to keep the diabetes at bay... but i'm wanting to get back to mass gaining.
    No it's not, pretty clear in the answer. As a type 2 diabetic, your mass gaining days are over. Face reality.

Originally Posted by StyleGent View Post
    No it's not, pretty clear in the answer. As a type 2 diabetic, your mass gaining days are over. Face reality.
    Okay was just checking maybe someone with diabetes had found a way to do this safely. thanks.

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I can't give medical advice as I'm an unqualified internet weirdo. As someone who doesn't know what I'm talking about I wouldn't be quite so negative. There are interesting studies (let you do the research here) that type 2 can be controlled (not cured, controlled) by reducing the fat inside your pancreas. Study is on going but results are interesting that a small reduction of fat inside pancreas can put it into remission. How pancreas fat levels and body fat levels relate is definitely subject to individual variation.

I'm not saying if you should or shouldn't do anything (follow your doc's advice). Just suggesting interesting reading/Googling for you to do "just for fun" https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2015...-94515292.html

perhaps the issue isn't carbs in diet, but fat levels, you might be able to bulk at a lower rate if you can keep levels below some amount that keeps pancreas fat level low enough, so slow short bulks at a lower body fat, or maybe I'm just talking nonsense...

Get well soon

"A low initial BMI does not ameliorate the increase in risk of type 2 diabetes with weight gain. Avoidance of weight gain, even among lean individuals, is important to reduce the risk of this disease"