Thread: Fat loss advice

Jayrizzo718 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Fat loss advice

Hey new member here looking for some advice.

I'm 33yrs old, male, 6'1 237lbs. If I had to guess I'd say I'm around 22% BF. I am having trouble losing fat. I have been at it for months and can't seen to lose/keep off any fat. I'd like to lose about 10lbs.

I fast for 16hrs 5-6 days a week. I do daily morning walks for 30 mins to an hour. I have 4 herniated discs so my strength training and cardio is limited to bodyweight and resistance bands. Lots of pull-ups, trx stuff, dips, pushups, lunges, etc.. i workout 3x a week and follow a push/pull split and lots of core work (planks, deadbugs, glute bridges, hip exercises) I've been working out since I was around 13.

I eat around 2000-2300 cals a day. Although I do not count daily. A sample day would be -

1pm- grilled chicken, broccoli, a greek yogurt.
    530pm -3 scrambled eggs cooked with a little butter and slice of cheese.
    7pm whey protein shake with a banana, kale, athletic green powder.
    830pm steak cooked with olive oil, side of white rice.
    In bed by 10pm and up at 6am.

That's just an example, some days I won't have any carbs other than fruits/veggies. Some days I might have some potatoes with my lunch. All depends.

I drink plenty of water and take vitamins and probiotics.

I have 2x cheat meals a week on average and usually drink about 6 beers on a Sat night.

Anyone have any tips? Are the few beers and a few slices of pizza on a Saturday really enough to keep me from losing weight? I know I'm taking in less calories than I'm burning at least 6 days a week. Should I increase my protein intake? I know my diets not 100% bodybuilder clean but I feel I should be losing at least some fat, I'm not losing ANY. Any tips would be great!!!

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The bottom line here is that fat loss is the result of a consistent calorie deficit over time. If you're not seeing weight loss its because your intake of energy (calories) is sufficient to maintain your current mass. To fix that you can eat less, move more, or a combination of the two.

If you have two cheat meals a week and are downing a six pack of beer and not tracking calories your daily intake is not 2000-2300. You might eat that on SOME days, but if you ate that much every single day consistently you would be losing weight.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Jayrizzo718 View Post
    Hey new member here looking for some advice.

I'm 33yrs old, male, 6'1 237lbs. If I had to guess I'd say I'm around 22% BF. I am having trouble losing fat. I have been at it for months and can't seen to lose/keep off any fat. I'd like to lose about 10lbs.

I fast for 16hrs 5-6 days a week. I do daily morning walks for 30 mins to an hour. I have 4 herniated discs so my strength training and cardio is limited to bodyweight and resistance bands. Lots of pull-ups, trx stuff, dips, pushups, lunges, etc.. i workout 3x a week and follow a push/pull split and lots of core work (planks, deadbugs, glute bridges, hip exercises) I've been working out since I was around 13.

I eat around 2000-2300 cals a day. Although I do not count daily. A sample day would be -

1pm- grilled chicken, broccoli, a greek yogurt.
    530pm -3 scrambled eggs cooked with a little butter and slice of cheese.
    7pm whey protein shake with a banana, kale, athletic green powder.
    830pm steak cooked with olive oil, side of white rice.
    In bed by 10pm and up at 6am.

That's just an example, some days I won't have any carbs other than fruits/veggies. Some days I might have some potatoes with my lunch. All depends.

I drink plenty of water and take vitamins and probiotics.

I have 2x cheat meals a week on average and usually drink about 6 beers on a Sat night.

Anyone have any tips? Are the few beers and a few slices of pizza on a Saturday really enough to keep me from losing weight? I know I'm taking in less calories than I'm burning at least 6 days a week. Should I increase my protein intake? I know my diets not 100% bodybuilder clean but I feel I should be losing at least some fat, I'm not losing ANY. Any tips would be great!!!
    First off, I highly doubt you're 22% bodyfat, unless you look like a legit pro bodybuilder in the offseason.

237lbs and 22% fat would be MASSIVE... you'd be insanely strong.

To me, the issue here is likely your 'cheats' and your drinking. The fasting has nothing to do with fat loss itself... calories are what matters.

Are you actually keeping track of the calories in your cheat meals?

Are you confident in your tracking of your actual 'normal' daily calories?

You didn't include any measurements at all with your meal notes, so for all we know you could be massively undercounting your actual intake.
    Last edited by AdamWW; 06-24-2021 at 05:47 PM.
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    In addition to agreeing with what Adam said above I would probably add to this that intermittent fasting is fine but its nothing more than a schedule to reduce your eating window and result in a reduction of overall calorie intake, its not a magic bullet for weight loss. You can still easily exceed your daily calorie maintenance level during your eating window while following IF.

That 1 day sample menu you posted could have a massive swing in calories, it could be anywhere from 2000 all the way up to 3500+ calories. When you say "steak" what do you mean? 6oz of lean top round or a 12oz fatty ribeye? Because there is a massive difference in calories between the two of those things. How much rice are you talking? 200 cals worth, 400 cals, 600 cals? What's a "little butter"? 1 tsp or 2 tbsp? How much olive oil are you using? All of these things matter, because you can still eat perceived "healthy" things but still be well over your calorie maintenance level.

I would also agree that at 6'1" and 237 you're probably a lot closer to 30% than you are to 20%. To have 185 lbs of lean mass at your height it not typically something that can be achieved naturally.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

isaacr65 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) isaacr65 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) isaacr65 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) isaacr65 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) isaacr65 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) isaacr65 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) isaacr65 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) isaacr65 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) isaacr65 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) isaacr65 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) isaacr65 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I think at the end of the day it's calories in and out. But you can add a few little things to improve your body's ability to lose the fat.

1. Drink tons of warm water first thing in the morning - will help you digestive system run more smoothly
    2. Cold showers in the morning - the shivering effect it gives your body helps burn calories plus it's good for longevity since it's a small stress to your body.
    3. Do a food intolerance test to check foods that your body cannot digest well - you can lose tons of fat from this alone as your gut will be more efficient not having to deal with these types of foods

There a ton more of little things that I know but can't remember right now. Hopefully this helps you!

Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by isaacr65 View Post
    I think at the end of the day it's calories in and out. But you can add a few little things to improve your body's ability to lose the fat.

1. Drink tons of warm water first thing in the morning - will help you digestive system run more smoothly
    2. Cold showers in the morning - the shivering effect it gives your body helps burn calories plus it's good for longevity since it's a small stress to your body.
    3. Do a food intolerance test to check foods that your body cannot digest well - you can lose tons of fat from this alone as your gut will be more efficient not having to deal with these types of foods

There a ton more of little things that I know but can't remember right now. Hopefully this helps you!
    none of this promotes fatloss.^^^^

OP you’re way over 22% probably more like 30+. 2 cheats a week plus the beer and whatever else just won’t work for losing fat.you’ll need to be disciplined or forget it. You need to take in far fewer weekly calories over a long period of time
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post
    First off, I highly doubt you're 22% bodyfat, unless you look like a legit pro bodybuilder in the offseason.

237lbs and 22% fat would be MASSIVE... you'd be insanely strong.

To me, the issue here is likely your 'cheats' and your drinking. The fasting has nothing to do with fat loss itself... calories are what matters.

Are you actually keeping track of the calories in your cheat meals?

Are you confident in your tracking of your actual 'normal' daily calories?

You didn't include any measurements at all with your meal notes, so for all we know you could be massively undercounting your actual intake.
    Not sure why he couldn't be 6 foot 1, 237 lbs at 22% body fat. It's a decent size, but nothing crazy. But only reason I believe he's probably not 22% body fat is because lots of people use inaccurate measuring devices/methods and most people underestimate their BF%.

But if you're not losing any body fat, you're eating too many calories. You said you're not tracking. Many people are very bad at guessing how many calories they're consuming, and they're eating more than they realize.
    WBFF Pro Muscle Model | Questions? Send me a private message.

Online Training/Coaching Application: https://www.gettfit.com/online-coaching/

Instagram: mike.gettier

Join the Facebook Group - Build Muscle, Lose Fat, and Become Stronger: https://www.facebook.com/groups/buildmusclelosefat

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr8jYRGthLppGdQhf8mw5Mg

faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by MG5 View Post
    Not sure why he couldn't be 6 foot 1, 237 lbs at 22% body fat. It's a decent size, but nothing crazy. But only reason I believe he's probably not 22% body fat is because lots of people use inaccurate measuring devices/methods and most people underestimate their BF%.

But if you're not losing any body fat, you're eating too many calories. You said you're not tracking. Many people are very bad at guessing how many calories they're consuming, and they're eating more than they realize.
    well he could be, but realistically speaking, would anyone that experienced have an issue like this?