Page 29 of 41 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 ... LastLast
    EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ^^ It looks like you squat quite wide. Maybe narrow your stance some to shift some of the sticking point difficulty to the quads?

Also, I can't believe you're accidentally losing weight lifting that heavy. Dropping weight in the short term is pretty easy when switching the emphasis to running or other activities but it's so hard for me to lose while lifting heavy because it stimulates my appetite so much, and the body seems to want to hold on to more mass and fluids in that scenario.
    Bench: 340
    Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 505

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by EliKoehn View Post
    ^^ It looks like you squat quite wide. Maybe narrow your stance some to shift some of the sticking point difficulty to the quads?

Also, I can't believe you're accidentally losing weight lifting that heavy. Dropping weight in the short term is pretty easy when switching the emphasis to running or other activities but it's so hard for me to lose while lifting heavy because it stimulates my appetite so much, and the body seems to want to hold on to more mass and fluids in that scenario.
    Where are you seeing I squat wide? If anything I thought I could benefit by squatting wider, at least toes out a bit more.
    The accidental weight loss was just a few lbs from cutting alcohol, and I seem to have reached an equilibrium around 170.

As I understand it, it's normal and expected to hit a sticking point there, but it seems like I should be able to feel the muscles firing and pushing hard. It seems more like the muscles just don't know what to do there. This has always been somewhat of an issue with squatting in general though. Like, bench and deadlift were always "just push as hard as possible and feel the muscles working". Squat was always "why won't the weight go up and are muscles even trying??" That's improved tremendously, but I still think I should have that feeling of glutes squeezing hard to press the hips up.

Perhaps it just takes more time to really burn the movement pattern in. All my life, I've slightly turned toes inward for pressing, such as climbing. Lean forward a bit, toes forward or slightly in, use quads to climb. Years of bike racing also = millions of single leg presses without extending the hips. I feel like my walking and climbing movement is very different now. More of a turn toes slightly out, back more upright, push through the glutes.
    2022 -- Just maintaining and doing the van life
    April 2021.................16 week cut.................168 lbs
    2020......................375 / 285 / 505..............186 lbs
    Pre-COVID..............335 / 295 / 499..............185 lbs
    July 1, 2019................9 week cut.................164 lbs
    Late April 2019.........285 / 275 / 440.............178 lbs
    Oct, 2018..............175x6 / 145x6 / 275x5......163 lbs

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Admittedly, I was going off of what I remember from previous uploads, but I think the fact that you pull sumo threw me off, as I associated that with a wider squat.

While I don't have your athletic pedigree, I can relate to the struggles with the squat feeling like an awkward and unnatural movement, where I have to think consciously about what I'm doing under the loading or I'll just shoot my back upward and hold the hips still. Think it's slowly improving... On account of that, I'm not sure I'm the best person to give any advice.

--

Deficit slightly exceeded - balanced out for the week since I ran a steeper one on Tuesday but ate a few hundred over the target yesterday.

3CW Week One, Thursday:

A.S.
    Flat Bench:
    160 x 10, 215 x 10, 235 x 8, 245 x 6

BOR:
    135 x 10, 185 x 10, 205 x 8, 245 x 6

A.S.
    Standing OHP:
    95 x 12, 95 x 11.5 (failure on 12th) ...

Lat Pulldown (lever machine):
    12 x 100, 12 x 100, 130 x 10 ...

The program called for 2 more OHP sets and one more pulldown, but I ran out of time on my lunch break and failed the last OHP anyway. There's a game I'm starting to get back into and I want to play it when I get home so I decided to work out at lunch.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by jademonkey View Post
    Where are you seeing I squat wide? If anything I thought I could benefit by squatting wider, at least toes out a bit more.
    The accidental weight loss was just a few lbs from cutting alcohol, and I seem to have reached an equilibrium around 170.

As I understand it, it's normal and expected to hit a sticking point there, but it seems like I should be able to feel the muscles firing and pushing hard. It seems more like the muscles just don't know what to do there. This has always been somewhat of an issue with squatting in general though. Like, bench and deadlift were always "just push as hard as possible and feel the muscles working". Squat was always "why won't the weight go up and are muscles even trying??" That's improved tremendously, but I still think I should have that feeling of glutes squeezing hard to press the hips up.

Perhaps it just takes more time to really burn the movement pattern in. All my life, I've slightly turned toes inward for pressing, such as climbing. Lean forward a bit, toes forward or slightly in, use quads to climb. Years of bike racing also = millions of single leg presses without extending the hips. I feel like my walking and climbing movement is very different now. More of a turn toes slightly out, back more upright, push through the glutes.
    Could we get a recent challenging vid
    I'm not convinced that should particularly be worrying about glutes at all in the squat.

Though that doesn't mean I wouldn't say train for bigger glutes.
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post
    Could we get a recent challenging vid
    I'm not convinced that should particularly be worrying about glutes at all in the squat.

Though that doesn't mean I wouldn't say train for bigger glutes.
    I worry about proper function of glutes / hams / quads a lot. I feel like
    (1) upper and lower exercises are very different for me, as upper exercises I find it natural to feel the muscles doing their jobs, and lower I don't, except for isolated knee movement and hip thrusts. Compounds and standing hip extension not so much.
    (2) I never even knew hamstrings could extend the hips until after I started lifting, and still don't have a good mind-muscle connection to this
    (3) it took way too long to feel either glutes or quads working in squats

I try and google for answers and get a bunch of stuff about gluteal amnesia, but I have no problem contracting glutes any time I want while NOT lifting, but I feel like I still have trouble using them or hamstrings purposely for loaded hip extension (except at the most contracted part such as hip thrust). I think my lower musculature is severely lagging upper in coordinating certain movements, mainly with hip extension. That may be one reason sumo DL feels so much more natural to me. When I bend I bend at the waist naturally and have to consciously think about bending at the hips while working on stuff that involves bending. And then I forget and revert to waist-bending.

When a squat or DL gets heavy, I automatically want to bend at the waist to finish the lift.
    Now, I can feel with low weight or bodyweight squats what the movement should be, so I get frustrated when the load gets heavy and my body refuses to do the same thing.

This is the early July 375, where I finished the lift but felt pretty bad waist bending to get it up:

I don't seem to have submaximal squats recorded. This is 365 from before the above video:

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I worry about proper function of glutes / hams / quads a lot. I feel like
    (1) upper and lower exercises are very different for me, as upper exercises I find it natural to feel the muscles doing their jobs, and lower I don't, except for isolated knee movement and hip thrusts. Compounds and standing hip extension not so much.
    (2) I never even knew hamstrings could extend the hips until after I started lifting, and still don't have a good mind-muscle connection to this
    (3) it took way too long to feel either glutes or quads working in squats

I try and google for answers and get a bunch of stuff about gluteal amnesia, but I have no problem contracting glutes any time I want while NOT lifting, but I feel like I still have trouble using them or hamstrings purposely for loaded hip extension (except at the most contracted part such as hip thrust). I think my lower musculature is severely lagging upper in coordinating certain movements, mainly with hip extension. That may be one reason sumo DL feels so much more natural to me. When I bend I bend at the waist naturally and have to consciously think about bending at the hips while working on stuff that involves bending. And then I forget and revert to waist-bending.

When a squat or DL gets heavy, I automatically want to bend at the waist to finish the lift.
    Now, I can feel with low weight or bodyweight squats what the movement should be, so I get frustrated when the load gets heavy and my body refuses to do the same thing.

This is the early July 375, where I finished the lift but felt pretty bad waist bending to get it up:

I don't seem to have submaximal squats recorded. This is 365 from before the above video:
    It just looks like you are trying to squat to upright and not pushing hips back
    The sticking point stems from this, you fold to the angle you should be at, but quads leave and you have to muscle up then with upper back.

I've done much the same for to long.

Bryce K has excellent squat videos on setting position at top and squatting with better bar path. Feels hard at first but keeps the quads on throughout.

Last edited by WolfRose7; 08-26-2021 at 12:08 PM.
    5 day full body crew

It just looks like you are trying to squat to upright and not pushing hips back
    The sticking point stems from this, you fold to the angle you should be at, but quads leave and you have to muscle up then with upper back.

I've done much the same for to long.

Bryce K has excellent squat videos on setting position at top and squatting with better bar path. Feels hard at first but keeps the quads on throughout.

Been thinking about it but not really sure what you are suggesting. I've been trying to squat in the most natural movement. Definitely not TRYING to be upright, but of course I have to get upright at some point, and my tendency is to lean forward too much. It sounds like your saying keep a back angle a bit longer allowing the knees to not be quite as far forward and keep the quads engaged a tad longer, but I feel like that's my natural tendency and I end up in a bad position and hurt my lower back by leaning too much. One cue I've found online is to focus on driving the upper back into the bar, and I've been trying to get my glutes squeezed asap and as much as possible to help keep me from leaning forward too much. Might play around with it a bit during warm up.

--------

Yesterday I almost put of deadlift another day for fear of being too fatigued from squats on Wednesday, but my legs felt fine and so far deadlift is the easiest lift for me to finish all the reps I aim to do in half hour. So went and did 29 reps at 435 in 25 minutes. I've been doing these in sets of 2 the past few weeks, but I felt 435 was a bit heavy to get that many doubles in so I went with singles. 30 seconds rest, and 30 seconds to prepare and lift. Did a final triple to finish off the 29 reps. Next week I attempt 455 for 22 reps.

Been adding overhead press on deadlift day because my upper body is the least fatigued compared to bench and squat days. 155, 160, 165, 160, 155, 150 for singles, 145x2 and 140x4

One arm pull work felt good, tendons felt good. Got a super slow negative on each arm, a few partial pull ups on each arm (~1/3), then a bunch of assisted work with 30-45 lbs assist.

When you say hurt your back leaning to much.
    Were you setting hips back and moving down with vertical bar path, or was the weight shifting on you mid rep and throwing you out of position?

Driving back into bar is great, I don't think you should be avoiding lean, that's exactly the common issue Bryce talks about at the start of the video.

Day 1 of the block.
    Squats not amazing, but after 2 weeks of no low bar that's not a surprise.
    Bench starting well, hopefully trends up from here and past old PRs

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTIPl3EI...um=share_sheet

Also did a load of larsen bench 7s and high rep/static hold pallof press
    5 day full body crew

CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    August 27, 2021: Wide Grip Bench Press - 3 count pause
    165 pounds x 1 rep
    130 pounds - 3 sets x 3 reps
    This was 10 pounds less than my PR, done at around a 9 RPE. The PR was with a medium grip though. My wide grip has been much weaker than my standard medium grip, so this is fantastic progress. It's starting to feel much stronger and more natural.

August 28, 2021: Wide Grip Bench Press - 3 count pause
    285 pounds x 1 rep
    225 pounds x 3 reps
    Have primarily changed over to doing 3x3 backoff work on squats, but I needed to get through this very fast today - around 15 minutes - and didn't want to totally wipe myself out since I'm still working on boxing stuff up and moving it into my garage.

Thankfully I'm in the home stretch on moving. I close on the new house on Monday and move on Wednesday. I'm planning to do Floor Press tomorrow, and then take apart the rack and platform. Sumo Deads are after that, and I can drop some pads and plywood on the floor for those on either Monday or Tuesday depending upon my schedule. I'll end up with at least 2 or 3 days rest while the move takes place. I'll probably need it anyway, lol.
    The Flywheel Effect - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172103043

When you say hurt your back leaning to much.
    Were you setting hips back and moving down with vertical bar path, or was the weight shifting on you mid rep and throwing you out of position?

Driving back into bar is great, I don't think you should be avoiding lean, that's exactly the common issue Bryce talks about at the start of the video.

Day 1 of the block.
    Squats not amazing, but after 2 weeks of no low bar that's not a surprise.
    Bench starting well, hopefully trends up from here and past old PRs

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTIPl3EI...um=share_sheet

Also did a load of larsen bench 7s and high rep/static hold pallof press
    When I'm doing super heavy, and hit the sticking point, I find the only way I can finish the lift is keep pressing my hips up and lean forward with a slight bend in my back. I end up using my lower back to help finish. By "hurt" I mean a one rep max using lower back really fatigues lower back. I haven't tweaked or pulled anything that way yet, but I'd rather not.

I did that in the 375x1 in the above video. It's really not obvious when watching the video but I felt it.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Looks like jm's missing broad external rotation around the hip and missing the stretch in the back at its lower end. I keep that focused with the same chain of strength stemming from the neck holding the bar down to the inferior glutes to keep a neutral back.
    There's no rule that says the dog can't play.

Originally Posted by GeneralSerpant View Post
    Looks like jm's missing broad external rotation around the hip and missing the stretch in the back at its lower end. I keep that focused with the same chain of strength stemming from the neck holding the bar down to the inferior glutes to keep a neutral back.
    Can you explain? I can't follow that.

Anyone else feel like deadlifts are easier to do at higher % and less overall fatigue?
    Also is 85% the magic number where lifts start getting hard AF?

Bench day, added 10 lbs, aimed to do 29 reps (7 less reps than last time). Only managed 22 reps in the half hour at 255, vs 35 reps at 245 last week. That's 86% vs 83%
    Last squat workout 36 reps at 84% but it was tough and I anticipate a similar drop off in total reps when I add weight.
    Deadlift, however, I got all 29 reps in only 25 minutes at 435, which is 86% of all time max and much higher percent of current max.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Can you explain? I can't follow that.
    Your glute minor and minimus aren’t holding your posterior back in order to sync your glute majors with your thighs. It should be a part of your bracing, and should follow along with the slight forward lean as you descend, if I’m not mistaken. Same strength command that holds the bar up at the traps.
    There's no rule that says the dog can't play.

SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Holy chit on thursday I finally did squats again after a long time: 3 sets of 315x6, each set was really difficult

Legs/glutes/hip adductor are STILL sore, 4 days later. Up until yesterday it was legitimately painful to walk and I couldn't really sit down without having to grab something to hold my weight lol
    Best lifts:
    Bench press: 315x4, 345x1
    Squat: 465x1
    Strict press: 185x8, 195x5, 215x1
    Deadlift: 405x13 (conv tap'n'go with straps)

@Jademonkey deadlift fatigue seems to carry over to the following day, for me. The day of, it's more invigorating than anything else, IMO.

@Savior, good squats... Although I normally have DOMS for several days after heavy sets. Is that not normal for you?

--

A friend unexpectedly invited me to swim at his house Saturday with some other people so I missed that workout, and yesterday hadn't sleep well, so just benched... thought it was a good time to retest an AMRAP with two plates. Got fifteen, which I'm not too upset about for just a random tired day.

Flat Bench: 15, 8, 8, 8

Originally Posted by SaviorSelfJT View Post
    Holy chit on thursday I finally did squats again after a long time: 3 sets of 315x6, each set was really difficult

Legs/glutes/hip adductor are STILL sore, 4 days later. Up until yesterday it was legitimately painful to walk and I couldn't really sit down without having to grab something to hold my weight lol
    Sounds like you overdid it a tad xD
    Though I had double myo FFE splits 2 days ago after sumo volume and can relate
    5 day full body crew

SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    @Savior, good squats... Although I normally have DOMS for several days after heavy sets. Is that not normal for you?
    Generally I only get soreness when I do something different, like suddenly doing high rep sets when I'm used to low rep sets etc

Once I've been doing a similar type of workload for a few weeks no more soreness

Sounds like you overdid it a tad xD
    Though I had double myo FFE splits 2 days ago after sumo volume and can relate
    Yeah maybe a little

I was trying to do barbell rows after those squats, and had to stop cause my legs were shaking too much

double myo FFE split?
    Best lifts:
    Bench press: 315x4, 345x1
    Squat: 465x1
    Strict press: 185x8, 195x5, 215x1
    Deadlift: 405x13 (conv tap'n'go with straps)

Not sure why but I'm not feeling as enthusiastic about lifting as normal, even though my interest in some other things has been higher lately... reading more intently and with better comprehension, even though I'm sleeping less and feeling more awake. Kind of an odd combo, all said.

Anyway, today I wasn't feeling it, but "punched the clock" and got:

Deadlift:
    405 x 1 (final warmup set), 495 attempt (got 1" off the ground but failed), 455 x 1, 4 x 8 at 315

Glad I kept the ball rolling on this the most important of all exercises.

Originally Posted by SaviorSelfJT View Post
    Generally I only get soreness when I do something different, like suddenly doing high rep sets when I'm used to low rep sets etc

Once I've been doing a similar type of workload for a few weeks no more soreness

Yeah maybe a little

I was trying to do barbell rows after those squats, and had to stop cause my legs were shaking too much

double myo FFE split?
    Front foot elabated split squats with barbell, 1 myo set of 15 - 4@10 follower by regular rest and then another full myo of 15-4@10 lol.
    5 day full body crew

Last squat workout 36 reps at 84% but it was tough and I anticipate a similar drop off in total reps when I add weight.
    Called it, but it was bad.
    Last week, 36 reps at 315.
    Today, starting out, they felt good and I thought I'd get most of them. Then after rep 10 I was really struggling, and failed rep 14. A little less than a minute between reps, more towards the end. Backed off to 275, worked back up to 315 and back down again for 22 (I think) total reps.

Wondering if I should
    (A) keep the once per week main lift and just get what reps I can working the weight back up for the next few weeks, or
    (B) switch it up a tad by doing squat and bench both twice a week with fewer reps each time.

---

So at the gym today these 3 "kids" (who knows how old they are, I've lost the ability to tell somewhere in my 30s) started doing squats at the rack next to me. 2 guys one girl. Seemed pretty beginner, one guy was hitting depth, one guy was way above, and the girl was just barely above parallel. Seemed nuts to me that she was banging out reps at 245 with the guys though especially considering their obvious beginner-ness (despite not hitting depth).

Anyway, I overheard them telling the dude that was squatting way high to go lower, then saw him air squatting to try and figure out depth, so I butted in and mentioned that when I had that problem I got a medicine ball, put it on a plate and checked whether it was the correct depth in the mirror, then used it as a guide when squatting. I was worried they'd be offended at me butting in, but no they went and grabbed a medicine ball, all checked depth on it, asked me if depth looked good, dropped the weight considerably and proceeded to squat with the lower weight and the ball.

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Just did an arm session for a disgusting pump after doing paused deads... Couldnt touch my face.. Measured in at 19" and rock solid.

Worked up to a 220kg 1ct low pause (1") deadlift.
    Certainly Had 240 in me but what's the point doing that in training for the fatigue cost.
    120*3
    140*3
    180*1
    200*1
    210*1@6
    220*1@7 (put my soft belt, not comp belt on for this)
    A great opener weight

May bench & squat some harder self limiting variations tomo see where they are at..
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.

Originally Posted by MyEgoProblem View Post
    Just did an arm session for a disgusting pump after doing paused deads... Couldnt touch my face.. Measured in at 19" and rock solid.

Worked up to a 220kg 1ct low pause (1") deadlift.
    Certainly Had 240 in me but what's the point doing that in training for the fatigue cost.
    120*3
    140*3
    180*1
    200*1
    210*1@6
    220*1@7 (put my soft belt, not comp belt on for this)
    A great opener weight

May bench & squat some harder self limiting variations tomo see where they are at..
    Good to hear. Did you take any pics?

Maybe you should update your avi...

Higher volume, bodybuilding style workout today.

Upper Body:

A.S.
    Flat Bench:
    5 x 8 at 225
    Pull Ups
    5 x 8 at bodyweight

A.S.
    Dips:
    4 x 10 at bodyweight
    BOR:
    4 x 8 at 205

A.S.
    Standing OHP:
    3 x 12 at 85
    Rear Delt Fly (scapulae reset and fully retracted at beginning of every rep)
    3 x 12 at 55

A.S.
    Dumbbell Hammer Curl:
    1 x 12 w/ 35s, 2 x 12 w/ 30s (reduction on account of fatigue)
    Dumbbell Lateral Raise:
    1 x 12 w/ 25s, 2 x 12 w/ 20s (sic)

30 working sets - medium-ish intensity. A good change of pace.

I don't know what it is guys, but I'm losing some of my eagerness to lift lately... I guess it happens from time to time but I'm slightly concerned.

ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I don't know what it is guys, but I'm losing some of my eagerness to lift lately... I guess it happens from time to time but I'm slightly concerned.
    Yeah man the same thing happened to me and I couldn't or didn't fix it. Didn't lift at all for almost all of August. I think I know my own reasons why but no need to put them out here.

Could extend the deadline for this comp. to late December, give some time to step away from the frontline. I can't promise I'll join then but for sure I won't join late September/early October, at least not with anything better than last year's total.
    Once upon a time (maxes 2020) ...
    Squat 185, Bench 137, DL 205, @ bw 88.5 age 43

Workout Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1630928323&viewfull=1#post1630928323

Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I wish I could motivate you bros

I lost steam back around April, the thing that got me to bounce back was just changing to a different program that actually excited me. Watching youtube videos of Mike Israetel lectures just put me in a good mood and motivated me to do it, dude is funny.

I'm trying to coordinate most of my days to lift with gym bros so there's some hype comraderie in the gym, and that helped out a lot too.

I hope eventually I won't need a reason to get motivated, just accept that training is a part of who I am and what I do and get on with it. Until then, I'll keep the hype alive!

Cheers Bros!!
    ► Intermediate Bodybuilding Classic Physique ► Renaissance Periodization Programming
    ► https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180349883
    ► Progress Pictures
    ► https://i.ibb.co/r6RKF4p/Progress-Pictures.png

Stay hungry lads.

Keeping both short and long term goals in mind can help.

Finished up week 1 of the new block with a tough but fun session

Banded sumo deadlift 3s n 2s
    TnG Bench 10s
    Myo Good Morning
    Neutral grip chins 8-12s
    High rep banded face pulls

Triceps were a bit dead for bench so almost died on my last set of 10 when the bar stopped at 85% extension.
    5 day full body crew

Originally Posted by ECGordyn View Post
    Yeah man the same thing happened to me and I couldn't or didn't fix it. Didn't lift at all for almost all of August. I think I know my own reasons why but no need to put them out here.

Could extend the deadline for this comp. to late December, give some time to step away from the frontline. I can't promise I'll join then but for sure I won't join late September/early October, at least not with anything better than last year's total.
    Extending the deadline is an idea, but I'd want to make sure everyone currently involved is cool with that because we still have a few guys who AFAIK have been mindfully prepping for October 4th and I don't want to sell them short.

Hope you're alright man and good to hear from you again.

Originally Posted by Camarija View Post
    I wish I could motivate you bros

I lost steam back around April, the thing that got me to bounce back was just changing to a different program that actually excited me. Watching youtube videos of Mike Israetel lectures just put me in a good mood and motivated me to do it, dude is funny.

I'm trying to coordinate most of my days to lift with gym bros so there's some hype comraderie in the gym, and that helped out a lot too.

I hope eventually I won't need a reason to get motivated, just accept that training is a part of who I am and what I do and get on with it. Until then, I'll keep the hype alive!

Cheers Bros!!
    Thanks for the encouragement. Never seen anything from Israeltel but maybe I'm due to watch. I know he has a mixed reputation here, or maybe it was just MEP who didn't like him.

What differences in the program yielded a boost in morale, I wonder?

Stay hungry lads.

Keeping both short and long term goals in mind can help.

Finished up week 1 of the new block with a tough but fun session

Banded sumo deadlift 3s n 2s
    TnG Bench 10s
    Myo Good Morning
    Neutral grip chins 8-12s
    High rep banded face pulls

Triceps were a bit dead for bench so almost died on my last set of 10 when the bar stopped at 85% extension.
    Glad you're having fun lol. Looks like a good upper day.

--

Regarding the motivation, one thought that's interesting is the cyclical aspect of human psychology - I've observed that I often have a dip in interest in lifting around the beginning of fall, for whatever reason is not entirely clear.

Initially I started lifting seriously as an escape after my brother died and my serious girlfriend dumped me unexpectedly out of the clear blue after we had long intended marriage and as I was about to propose, in short succession of one another. I was in despair, and it was my last semester of college as well, so lifting was an outlet to export some of my distress.

Then with covid shutting so many things down for most of last year, once the gyms were back open it was sort of an anchor to normalcy in lieu of other life activities. But now that more time has passed and things seem to be truly resuming their former shape I wonder if some of that fire and rote has subsided somewhat on account of that...

I'm 25 tomorrow so maybe I'm just leaving some small part of it with the end of adolescence. Who knows?

I don't think any of us dislike Mike I.
    He's just a little over invested in some of his theories. Particularly volume ramping.

Also. Upper!? My legs doth protest that statement sir
    5 day full body crew

ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    @Eli, In college I used to get a mid-semester slump every term, right after mid-term exams. Just a dip in energy and focus, couldn't maintain those straight through for 4 months. I still see it in uni. students now, same rhythm. Just a natural rhythm that happens in long-term life endeavors.

Happy birthday man. But adolescence ends at 18 years old. Sh*t, I'll be 45 in 9 months.
    Once upon a time (maxes 2020) ...
    Squat 185, Bench 137, DL 205, @ bw 88.5 age 43

Workout Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1630928323&viewfull=1#post1630928323