Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    jademonkey is just really nice. (+1000) jademonkey is just really nice. (+1000) jademonkey is just really nice. (+1000) jademonkey is just really nice. (+1000) jademonkey is just really nice. (+1000) jademonkey is just really nice. (+1000) jademonkey is just really nice. (+1000) jademonkey is just really nice. (+1000) jademonkey is just really nice. (+1000) jademonkey is just really nice. (+1000) jademonkey is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ECGordyn View Post
    Jade, do you foam roll, or do any prehab? A belt won't prevent injury. Try things like cat/camel, windmills, TGUs, and light rotational movements.

Camaro had a QL issue last year, maybe he'll chip in.
    Originally Posted by Camarija View Post
    It really depends how and where the pain is, but this works for me:

And whichever one feels the best, do it every day, multiple times a day... forever :P

I healed up fast, but because I wasn't consistent with my stretches, and I backed off of weightlifting altogether out of fear, I developed some phantom pains and my QL was just trying to protect me from hurting myself again. What really helped was consistently stretching and working my way back up the weight, pumping blood back into the muscles. Similar philosophy to Bill Starr's muscle belly rehab protocol I guess.
    What is QL?

No foam roll. The first time I tried it years ago, the next day I had a sharp (but short lived) pain causing my to completely collapse and I was afraid to try again for years, and also never saw much point. But I did try it a couple years ago and it felt fine, but it was just a random "let's try this today" thing.

Re rotational and flexural movements, that may be something to think about. All my life I've been very active and done sports (inline skates, hockey, gymnastics, spartan race, bike racing) and it was always a given that I'd be active enough, but TBH lifting feels closer to a desk job in terms of total movement so some extra trunk movement might be good lol. I do a very quick warm up including twists, folded twists, etc but that's just like 60 seconds before a liftng sesh.

(Also if I'm not making sense my wife just gave me a bigass hit of a joint... may edit tomorrow lol)
    April 2021.................16 week cut.................168 lbs
    2020......................375 / 285 / 505..............186 lbs
    Pre-COVID..............335 / 295 / 499..............185 lbs
    July 1, 2019................9 week cut.................164 lbs
    Late April 2019.........285 / 275 / 440.............178 lbs
    Oct, 2018..............175x6 / 145x6 / 275x5......163 lbs

ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by jademonkey View Post
    What is QL?

No foam roll. The first time I tried it years ago, the next day I had a sharp (but short lived) pain causing my to completely collapse and I was afraid to try again for years, and also never saw much point. But I did try it a couple years ago and it felt fine, but it was just a random "let's try this today" thing.

Re rotational and flexural movements, that may be something to think about. All my life I've been very active and done sports (inline skates, hockey, gymnastics, spartan race, bike racing) and it was always a given that I'd be active enough, but TBH lifting feels closer to a desk job in terms of total movement so some extra trunk movement might be good lol. I do a very quick warm up including twists, folded twists, etc but that's just like 60 seconds before a liftng sesh.

(Also if I'm not making sense my wife just gave me a bigass hit of a joint... may edit tomorrow lol)
    QL = quadratus lumborum, deep lower back muscle connecting rib cage to pelvis.

lol @ joint
    2020 maxes
    Squat 185
    Bench 137
    DL 205
    above @ bw 88.5 age 43

Workout Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1630928323&viewfull=1#post1630928323

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    No movement, pattern or manual intervention is magical for rehabbing any gym tweak type issue... Outdated bio medical thinking is still far too prevenlent.

Just realising things hurt sometimes then they dont is a huge step forward in your life. Trying to micro stuff when you feel a little beat up stuff with stretches and being hyper vigilant about ouchies is not the way.

Do things you can do
    Do things that feel good
    Do them in a rom you can use
    Do them with a load you can use
    Regress Variation/load/rom to keep going

Back tweaks scare everyone.. Give it a few days and you will see it ain't really a problem. Just keep moving

My last back tweak..
    Couldnt put my shoes on to start with.
    I kept moving
    Did things I could
    No specific stretches or interventions would speed this up
    2 days later I was pulling 80% of previous from a defecit.
    4 days later squatting my expected numbers.
    6 days later, not even a tickle
    FMH crew - Couch.
    Washed up meathead

EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000)
    ^^ Not intending to compare apples to oranges as I likely wasn't truly hurt and there are real injuries that happen, but this was true of me last week.

Since it was Saturday I ditched my plans and spent the day in bed, stretching and icing it every few hours and the pain eventually went away. As of today it's still completely gone and it didn't even start talking to me with the deadlifts and squats on Monday.

Also definitely broached some new territory with that 355 x 3. Legs have a glowing, almost pleasant ache underneath the DOMS and sleep and appetite are both spiked. The erectors at the thoracic spinal region are also sore; interesting echo of having to keep tight there.
    Bench: 320
    Squat: 375
    Deadlift: 495

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

jademonkey is just really nice. (+1000) jademonkey is just really nice. (+1000) jademonkey is just really nice. (+1000) jademonkey is just really nice. (+1000) jademonkey is just really nice. (+1000) jademonkey is just really nice. (+1000) jademonkey is just really nice. (+1000) jademonkey is just really nice. (+1000) jademonkey is just really nice. (+1000) jademonkey is just really nice. (+1000) jademonkey is just really nice. (+1000)
    Idk if I was clear or not, I'm not concerned about an actual muscle strain rn. I did get one once, took it easy for a couple weeks and it was gone. More just neverending lower back DOMS. I added some back extensions in today and they definitely need work. Only used 60 lbs for sets of 10.

Originally Posted by MyEgoProblem View Post
    No movement, pattern or manual intervention is magical for rehabbing any gym tweak type issue... Outdated bio medical thinking is still far too prevenlent.

Just realising things hurt sometimes then they dont is a huge step forward in your life. Trying to micro stuff when you feel a little beat up stuff with stretches and being hyper vigilant about ouchies is not the way.

Do things you can do
    Do things that feel good
    Do them in a rom you can use
    Do them with a load you can use
    Regress Variation/load/rom to keep going

Back tweaks scare everyone.. Give it a few days and you will see it ain't really a problem. Just keep moving

My last back tweak..
    Couldnt put my shoes on to start with.
    I kept moving
    Did things I could
    No specific stretches or interventions would speed this up
    2 days later I was pulling 80% of previous from a defecit.
    4 days later squatting my expected numbers.
    6 days later, not even a tickle
    Nothing magic about physical therapy. A PT (is supposed to) know how the body mechanics work and what causes pain and how to resolve it. Asking a PT if one is available is faster than spending 8 hours online trying to learn exactly how the shoulder joint works, for example.
    A couple years ago maybe a few months after I started lifting, I was having shoulder pain every time I did dumbbell rows with my left arm. I spent sooo long online before discovering it was probably a tendon getting pinched in the subacromial space due to rolling the shoulder forward and insufficient upper trap work. I added a couple exercises (I and Y, external shoulder rotations) while working on improving form and never had the pain come back. I discovered afterwards that exact problem is known to tear bicep tendons (my brother had a 50% tear from pull ups, my other brother had the same issue with pull ups but caught it before tearing a tendon).

Later I had hip pain while squatting. We had a physical therapist in the gym so I just asked her and she spent a few minutes and said I probably just need to work hip abduction to balance all the squatting and sumo deadlift. I added banded monster walks and banded hip abductions and lo and behold the pain went away within a month.

Endurance athletes typically do recovery rides/runs to get a lot of blood flowing and improve recovery. That's one thing that seems like it would help with sore lower back, especially since the lower back tends to take a while to recover anyway.

Today:

Paused Bench:
    (270x1)x5 / 260x2 / 245x3 / 225x5
    Weighted chins:
    +45x5 / +45x5 / +45x6
    Paused, explosive squats:
    185x10 / 200x10
    Accessories:
    overhead shrugs, Y raise, back extensions, machine flys, tricep press down, abs

EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000)
    ^^ Good lifts

I don't mean to spam the thread, but I came across this fan tribute and this is awesome. Incredible movie IMO and gets the test flowing. Cannot wait to bench in a few hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qIrMuqy33U

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Idk if I was clear or not, I'm not concerned about an actual muscle strain rn. I did get one once, took it easy for a couple weeks and it was gone. More just neverending lower back DOMS. I added some back extensions in today and they definitely need work. Only used 60 lbs for sets of 10.

Nothing magic about physical therapy. A PT (is supposed to) know how the body mechanics work and what causes pain and how to resolve it. Asking a PT if one is available is faster than spending 8 hours online trying to learn exactly how the shoulder joint works, for example.
    A couple years ago maybe a few months after I started lifting, I was having shoulder pain every time I did dumbbell rows with my left arm. I spent sooo long online before discovering it was probably a tendon getting pinched in the subacromial space due to rolling the shoulder forward and insufficient upper trap work. I added a couple exercises (I and Y, external shoulder rotations) while working on improving form and never had the pain come back. I discovered afterwards that exact problem is known to tear bicep tendons (my brother had a 50% tear from pull ups, my other brother had the same issue with pull ups but caught it before tearing a tendon).

Later I had hip pain while squatting. We had a physical therapist in the gym so I just asked her and she spent a few minutes and said I probably just need to work hip abduction to balance all the squatting and sumo deadlift. I added banded monster walks and banded hip abductions and lo and behold the pain went away within a month.

Endurance athletes typically do recovery rides/runs to get a lot of blood flowing and improve recovery. That's one thing that seems like it would help with sore lower back, especially since the lower back tends to take a while to recover anyway.
    Most pt's are like mcgill.. Outdated as **** on pain and Injury science.

As for the shoulder...
    https://www.barbellmedicine.com/blog...lardyskinesis/ 4 parts to slog thru.

But I digress. Won't derail. Stay healthy.
    FMH crew - Couch.
    Washed up meathead

C6W Week 5, Wednesday

Flat Bench:
    305 x 1-4 (3 achieved @10)

Pendlay Row:
    245 x 8, 255 x 6, 255 x 6

Lateral Raise:
    35s x 8, 40s x 6, 40s x 6

Lat Pulldown:
    190 x 8, 210 x 6, 210 x 6

A.S.
    Optional Exercise 1 (Incline DB Press):
    3 x 8 w/ 75s

Optional Exercise 2 (Supinated DB Curl):
    3 x 12 w/ 35s

That bench felt awesome, even though the ideal four reps as per the program would have been better of course. That will have me attempting 320 next week and I'm looking forward to it. Also uploaded some heavier rows since I have not provided any video evidence of this up to this point.

ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by EliKoehn View Post
    C6W Week 5, Wednesday

Flat Bench:
    305 x 1-4 (3 achieved @10)

Pendlay Row:
    245 x 8, 255 x 6, 255 x 6

Lateral Raise:
    35s x 8, 40s x 6, 40s x 6

Lat Pulldown:
    190 x 8, 210 x 6, 210 x 6

A.S.
    Optional Exercise 1 (Incline DB Press):
    3 x 8 w/ 75s

Optional Exercise 2 (Supinated DB Curl):
    3 x 12 w/ 35s

That bench felt awesome, even though the ideal four reps as per the program would have been better of course. That will have me attempting 320 next week and I'm looking forward to it. Also uploaded some heavier rows since I have not provided any video evidence of this up to this point.
    Great stuff Eli, you really can grind a bench. That's a nice strict back angle on Pendlay, too.

What program will you run next? I think you mentioned before that you were considering the Calgary, or something else?
    2020 maxes
    Squat 185
    Bench 137
    DL 205
    above @ bw 88.5 age 43

Workout Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1630928323&viewfull=1#post1630928323

Great stuff Eli, you really can grind a bench. That's a nice strict back angle on Pendlay, too.

What program will you run next? I think you mentioned before that you were considering the Calgary, or something else?
    Thanks! And also thanks for recommending this one - even though maxes are next week, it's already been quite a success in such a short time.

Actually I'm thinking my next agenda will be to cut fairly aggressively for about two months. I'm now a few pounds above the 110KG weight class, and I'd like to log my final numbers in October in that range with no worry that I'm bumping the ceiling of it. Shedding 15-20 pounds in that time frame so I can land there hopefully will do no long-term damage to my strength, but I'll want to approach my training carefully to protect it in a sustainable way on a deficit with a higher overall activity level.

After all I've said against them, feel free to make fun of me if you want... I finally bought myself some straps for tomorrow's deadlifting. 450 slipped out of my hands at the top of the second rep but I think I had at least 1 RIR at that point on that deadlift, and don't want the same thing to happen again.

Am I likely to lose strength pulling double overhand with straps because of the technical difference from what I'm used to? Would doing reverse grip with straps for this reason necessarily be a bad idea?

Going to be pulling 465 for 1-4 tomorrow.

I'm actually weaker pulling strapped positioning sucks for me.

I could doh 5pps in the past! and as a guy who gets air at the top... I'm. Probably 10% down strapped.

If you suck in air at the bottom you will 120% pull more strapped.. Facts.
    FMH crew - Couch.
    Washed up meathead

SaviorSelfJT has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SaviorSelfJT has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SaviorSelfJT has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SaviorSelfJT has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SaviorSelfJT has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SaviorSelfJT has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SaviorSelfJT has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SaviorSelfJT has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SaviorSelfJT has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SaviorSelfJT has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SaviorSelfJT has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    195x5 strict press: https://streamable.com/41zjfe

The 5th was really hard, took about 8 seconds from the bottom to the top

Because I use stretch reflex on subsequent reps, I think this is stronger than my previous 185x8

I'm actually weaker pulling strapped ������ positioning sucks for me.
    I think I do too now, I think the amount of time I have to spend bent down tires out or relaxes my muscles enough to make a difference.

@Eli, didn't you say you didn't use chalk? I would 100% try that before straps. It's hard to ween yourself off of straps once you get used to them IME
    Best lifts:
    Bench press: 315x4, 345x1
    Squat: 465x1
    Strict press: 185x8, 195x5
    Deadlift: 405x10, 445x5 (dead stop w/ straps)

Originally Posted by SaviorSelfJT View Post
    195x5 strict press: https://streamable.com/41zjfe

The 5th was really hard, took about 8 seconds from the bottom to the top

Because I use stretch reflex on subsequent reps, I think this is stronger than my previous 185x8

I think I do too now, I think the amount of time I have to spend bent down tires out or relaxes my muscles enough to make a difference.

@Eli, didn't you say you didn't use chalk? I would 100% try that before straps. It's hard to ween yourself off of straps once you get used to them IME
    That's a f*kin fight man. Grinding up an OHP is one of the hardest tests of strength and will. It's so easy to just rerack the bar, but when you're set on making it it's the hardest thing to finish. Respect.

Eli, I don't thing DOH with straps would throw you off. Just do some warmups that way before the big pull.

I agree straps can become a bad habit. But sometimes they're the right choice IMO.
    2020 maxes
    Squat 185
    Bench 137
    DL 205
    above @ bw 88.5 age 43

SaviorSelfJT has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SaviorSelfJT has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SaviorSelfJT has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SaviorSelfJT has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SaviorSelfJT has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SaviorSelfJT has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SaviorSelfJT has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SaviorSelfJT has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SaviorSelfJT has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SaviorSelfJT has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SaviorSelfJT has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    That's a f*kin fight man. Grinding up an OHP is one of the hardest tests of strength and will. It's so easy to just rerack the bar, but when you're set on making it it's the hardest thing to finish. Respect.

Eli, I don't thing DOH with straps would throw you off. Just do some warmups that way before the big pull.

I agree straps can become a bad habit. But sometimes they're the right choice IMO.
    Thanks, it was a grind for sure. Once it was past the sticking point I knew I had it but I was so tired by that point it was moving like an inch per second lol

Whole workout since I just finished (counting these bolded lifts as PRs of sorts):

Press-
    up to 195x5

Paused Squat-
    up to 405x3

Calf raises from board-
    315x6
    315x6
    315x6
    315x6
    315x6

Pullups (BW)-
    Best lifts:
    Bench press: 315x4, 345x1
    Squat: 465x1
    Strict press: 185x8, 195x5
    Deadlift: 405x10, 445x5 (dead stop w/ straps)

CW47 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CW47 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CW47 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CW47 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CW47 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CW47 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CW47 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CW47 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CW47 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CW47 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CW47 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Jade, Eli, Savior, DoMore (apologies if I missed someone else that's posted in the last few days) - Excellent work! Crushing it in here.
    @Savior - I ended up buying a Pioneer Cut 3 inch belt. Never even realized they existed before. Probably will help with both squats and deads because the 4 incher is definitely a little too wide for me. No idea when it's coming, but hopefully won't have to wait too long to test it out...

Did my Dynamic Lower workout today. Primary lift was Pin Squat, where I was planning to do 5x3 with a wide stance. Ended up having to change that plan midway through...

Pin Squat
    Wide Stance: 135 pounds - 3 sets x 3 reps
    Medium Stance: 145 pounds - 3 sets x 3 reps
    The wide stance squats ruined me. Was planning to do all six sets with a wide stance, but I would've gone to total failure at some point if I had done that. I need to incorporate more wide stance squatting I think. Helps build up the hips obviously, but I also never really realized how much it shortens the range of motion. Had to move the pins up 2 notches from where they are with my normal stance width.

Sometimes I get cramps in the strangest places. My rear delts starting cramping up near the end of these sets. Suppose I'm not used to keeping them tight for that long, and they just weren't having it, lol.

Also did 3 sets of 20 Meadows Rows with 35 pounds - these are my favorite upper back exercise currently, and this was the first time I've done them in over a month I think. Felt good.
    The Flywheel Effect - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172103043

Good work, CW. Do you normally find rear-delt tightness with regular squats or was this variation the first time you noticed it with them?

@Savior, unfortunately the video doesn't work on my browser but that is an insane lift. Excellent job.

And I've decided forget the straps for now. If I can't hold it I'm too weak. That will change at some point but beneath 5 it shouldn't be a question as a feasible possibility. This is amusingly the only day of the entire program where not only do I deadlift without also squatting, but also start with the deadlift. Hands will not be sweaty or taxed going into it; legs won't already be fatigued. Perhaps everything will come together and I will have immense unfound strength, perhaps not. We'll see.

I'll ask for chalk if they have it but if not am going to pull raw. Eager and excited.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good work, CW. Do you normally find rear-delt tightness with regular squats or was this variation the first time you noticed it with them?

@Savior, unfortunately the video doesn't work on my browser but that is an insane lift. Excellent job.
    And I've decided forget the straps for now. If I can't hold it I'm too weak. That will change at some point but beneath 5 it shouldn't be a question as a feasible possibility. This is amusingly the only day of the entire program where not only do I deadlift without also squatting, but also start with the deadlift. Hands will not be sweaty or taxed going into it; legs won't already be fatigued. Perhaps everything will come together and I will have immense unfound strength, perhaps not. We'll see.

I'll ask for chalk if they have it but if not am going to pull raw. Eager and excited.
    Just buy a chalk ball man XD it's like 4 quid.
    Lifting without chalk is like anal without lube

Also hey guys, went on holiday so my training went to ****. Was final week off dev block anyway, 2 week pivot now and then hopefully a nice consistent block of progress after thst
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

I think that is the weirdest comparison I've ever read on this forum.. Coincidentally I went and bought liquid chalk lol.

Is it any more or less effective than the block? I assume it's the same active ingredient either way once it dries onto your hands.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think that is the weirdest comparison I've ever read on this forum.. Coincidentally I went and bought liquid chalk lol.

Is it any more or less effective than the block? I assume it's the same active ingredient either way once it dries onto your hands.
    It's not far off, it last longer but the permanent sticky hands until you soap n wash can be a bit more annoying.
    Also you don't really wanna liquid chalk your t shirt for squats like you would with actual chalk haha
    5 day full body crew

I prefer liquid chalk tbh... Far less messy.
    I don't even bother with reg chalk at home.
    Liquid all the way.

I even put liquid it on commercial benches and my gym Tshirts (just wipe bench after, don't be that guy) when I'm out of the house just like i Would with regular Chalk

But ideally I'll put liquid on my hands first.. Then still dunk my hands in a chalk bowl in summer.

I will say that straps definitely have their place and avoiding them cos you feel weak having to use them is a missed opportunity really..
    FMH crew - Couch.
    Washed up meathead

I prefer liquid chalk tbh... Far less messy.
    I don't even bother with reg chalk at home.
    Liquid all the way.

I even put liquid it on commercial benches and my gym Tshirts (just wipe bench after, don't be that guy) when I'm out of the house just like i Would with regular Chalk

But ideally I'll put liquid on my hands first.. Then still dunk my hands in a chalk bowl in summer.

I will say that straps definitely have their place and avoiding them cos you feel weak having to use them is a missed opportunity really..
    What makes the difference then in your earlier post where positioning seems to matter?

How do you mean missed opportunity, exactly? There's a point where they become necessary but surely you agree grip should be part of the game

What makes the difference then in your earlier post where positioning seems to matter?

How do you mean missed opportunity, exactly? There's a point where they become necessary but surely you agree grip should be part of the game
    Positioning issues for me is cos I'm absolutely not built to deadlift.. (short arms, long shins, kinda Bloaty atm)
    I have to get my air at the top to be fully braced
    And the time it takes me to wrap em means I'm almost dead before I pull or I have to rebreath me sacrifice tightness.

Does not apply to everyone ofc.. And didn't used to apply as much to me when I was leaner.

Missed opportunity?
    Limiting your back and pc gains cos of a slipping bar..

But yes I certainly agree grip is part of the game.
    Which is trainable outside of your main deadlift movement.. Arguably better trained too. I use an eddy coan style suitcase 1" rack pull type lift for grip.

I'm more than happy for anyone to pull strapped if they don't powerlift, or for power lifters to pull their volume work strapped (especially hook grip crew) Its never caused problems at all.
    FMH crew - Couch.
    Washed up meathead

I'm having grip issues in the upper 400s. I think my finger that I dislocated last year should be full strength by now. I never used to have grip issues at my old gym, but they had a thin deadlift bar with nice knurling and supplied chalk. Now I haven't bought chalk and the gym has normal bars with s***ty knurling. May buy some chalk. Been putting on grips when the bar starts slipping.

Today:
    Squats:
    5 singles at tree fiddy / 320x3 / 295x5
    OHP:
    felt weak after that squatting. 120x3 / 130x3 / 140x3 / 150x2 / 160 fail :'(
    Paused bench for speed:
    (175x10)x3
    Pull ups:
    2 sets of 15 wide grip

I wonder if I'm not doing enough leg work.
    I do squats twice a week, sumo DL once a week, and a hip hinge once a week.

Possible.. Sounds enough for some and not for others.
    5 day full body crew

Lay it out bro.
    Let's see your lower days 👌

Need a bit more info (working atm can't sit and search for too long lol)
    FMH crew - Couch.
    Washed up meathead

C6W Week 5, Friday

Deadlift:
    1 x 1-4 at 465 (3 achieved @9.5)

Optional Lower Body 1 (Pin Squats):
    1 x 5 at 225

Optional Lower Body 2 (Pause Squats):
    1 x 5 at 225 (5 second count at bottom)

Liquid chalk worked like a charm and the bar was locked to my hand. Ugly grind on that fourth rep which ultimately resulted in failure. Clearly hit @9.5 on the third rep but there's no sense not giving it my all even if it I didn't end up making it. Was cajoled into attempting 5 plates after this and broke the floor by about three of four inches but failed, also.

Pin squats were significantly harder than I thought, even at that weight. Set the pins at 6 on the power rack, which for me is as anatomically low as I can possibly go down with my back locked and tight and my shoulders beneath parallel to the pins. Even harder were the pause squats. Had a friend watch my form and count to five at the bottom as I stayed locked and tight. He said there was some breakdown at the sticking point of rep 4 and rep 5 turned into a squatmorning. Those were evenly hard with the heavy squat sets last week, but hopefully will do me good.
    Last edited by EliKoehn; 06-11-2021 at 06:51 PM.

C6W Week 5, Friday

Deadlift:
    1 x 1-4 at 465 (3 achieved @9.5)

Optional Lower Body 1 (Pin Squats):
    1 x 5 at 225

Optional Lower Body 2 (Pause Squats):
    1 x 5 at 225 (5 second count at bottom)

Liquid chalk worked like a charm and the bar was locked to my hand. Ugly grind on that fourth rep which ultimately resulted in failure. Clearly hit @9.5 on the third rep but there's no sense not giving it my all even if it I didn't end up making it. Was cajoled into attempting 5 plates after this and broke the floor by about three of four inches but failed, also.

Pin squats were significantly harder than I thought, even at that weight. Set the pins at 6 on the power rack, which for me is as anatomically low as I can possibly go down with my back locked and tight and my shoulders beneath parallel to the pins. Even harder were the pause squats. Had a friend watch my form and count to five at the bottom as I stayed locked and tight. He said there was some breakdown at the sticking point of rep 4 and rep 5 turned into a squatmorning. Those were evenly hard with the heavy squat sets last week, but hopefully will do me good.
    Man, I wish you'd filmed those squats. On your max test day you could some warmups with light pause/pin squats to feel positioning. But OTOH it isn't really ideal to change something on meet day/test day.

DL looks rounded to me. I think you'd be more powerful with a flatter back, hips farther back, lats tighter and chest up at the bottom. I still see your spine uncurling at the top to lock out the lift, when what you want is glutes to punch through at the top. A rounded lumbar puts the glutes in a disadvantageous position and forces the erectors to work harder. But see what others say.

Here's my programming for next block, please anyone take a look and comment. 6 weeks going a little heavier for a few sets on the big 3, putting a bit more emphasis on OHP, continuing the same programming with bench until I need to switch to something else.

Wks 1-4

Wks 5-6
    2020 maxes
    Squat 185
    Bench 137
    DL 205
    above @ bw 88.5 age 43