OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50)

beginner soreness - push through? or allow the body to rest/regenerate?

After a few weeks of doing kinda stupid waste-of-time exercises because I didn't know any better I tried my first modified Fierce 5 routine yesterday. I substituted pull-ups for the face-pulls because I don't have any kind of cable machine (only completed 4 before I was too weak to get in another one.) but got through complete sets of everything else on the list... er sorta, I mean I only have dumbbells to use but maxed out the weight I have available for them and did each of the exercises through all the sets and my entire body is sore... i mean everything.

I had a plan of trying to go for a jog on the rest days just for mental routine purposes (plan on exercise every day and train the brain that's the daily routine) - do any of you more experienced guys do this? I assume the soreness level declines substantially as the body becomes acclimated but I'm totally new to this stuff. I DO want to push myself, but I don't want to hurt myself and I'm pretty weak overall. any advice? If not a jog, are there other low-impact exercises you suggest for "rest day" so the heart rate still gets up and it's not a waste of the day without overtaxing the muscles which are healing from the previous day?

Thanks for any advice!

ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Do cardio or a VERY light full body work out to facilitate the blood pumping. The purpose is to increase blood flow which will facilitate healing.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Jog or ab/core exercises should be fine. But you have to judge soreness for yourself and you’re correct, it will improve over time as you get used to it. Maybe for the first week or two just rest on rest days so you get the most out of your workouts.

BTW you can do db face pulls bent over facing the ground.

xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If you're a beginner don't won't about pushing yourself to the max. Take a day off in between workouts for a bit and use those days to stretch.

I'm sure it'll only take a week or two where you won't feel too beat up.

Amateur boxer turned bodybuilder...

Hit me up on Sherdog.. TeTe

Road to 190@15% bf

June 2020 = 185 @20.5% bf
    June 2021 = 183 @18.2% bf

OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldManNoob will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    thanks for the advice, guys. Did a light jog... I put in about 2.5 miles just under 30 minutes. just fast enough to sweat and breathe harder. feels good!

MIKES3 is a name known to all. (+5000) MIKES3 is a name known to all. (+5000) MIKES3 is a name known to all. (+5000) MIKES3 is a name known to all. (+5000) MIKES3 is a name known to all. (+5000) MIKES3 is a name known to all. (+5000) MIKES3 is a name known to all. (+5000) MIKES3 is a name known to all. (+5000) MIKES3 is a name known to all. (+5000) MIKES3 is a name known to all. (+5000) MIKES3 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I just got done with a 2 week break because of injury. I've been at it for about 2 weeks now. I'm stronger now but I also paid the price of being sore all over again like it was my first time.
    Chicago Crew

"ITS OK MIKE"

Originally Posted by MIKES3 View Post
    I just got done with a 2 week break because of injury. I've been at it for about 2 weeks now. I'm stronger now but I also paid the price of being sore all over again like it was my first time.
    but it feels good, right?

I've made it past the super-noob soreness now and just feel that "good sore" vibe now... that "you used your muscles like you're supposed to" pain. it's my new high. (assume it's an old high for most here)

I can't believe I wasted my young tons-of-testosterone-years not working out. better late than never I guess.

pondus_levo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pondus_levo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pondus_levo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pondus_levo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pondus_levo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pondus_levo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pondus_levo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pondus_levo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pondus_levo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pondus_levo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pondus_levo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If you are a newb I'd say take it easy and do cardio and stretch.

Stretching is always the key, but you don't want to do it cold.
    Forever alone? Attraction and keeping the girl chasing you - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=131498033

You will never know your limits, unless you push yourself past the imaginary lines you have drawn in the sand.

Knee Dragger - '06 GSX-R750

Originally Posted by pondus_levo View Post
    If you are a newb I'd say take it easy and do cardio and stretch.

Stretching is always the key, but you don't want to do it cold.
    Good suggestion. I've been kind of a "hippie" for 3 decades so I've always stretched every morning... and I walk a couple very energetic dogs before sun-up each morning to "warm up" a bit before I hit the basement for the first set. In just 3.5 weeks I can feel and even see a tremendous difference in my biceps and obliques and can feel the legs, back and abs for about 24 hours after working them... but I'm not trying to lift big weight or anything, just getting started with this stuff. currently here's my list:

Deads - 176lb 3x5
    squats - 155lb 3x5
    rows - 132lb 3x10
    bench - 132lb - 2, 4, 6, 6, 4, 2
    (my barbell weight plates are kg instead of lb, so that's why the numbers aren't round figures - dumbbells are lbs)
    dumbell curls - 30lb - 3, 5, 7, 7, 5, 3
    calf raises w/ 2 40lb dumbbells 3x15
    farmers carry w/ 2 40lb dumbbells up and down the stairs - 3 times up, 3 times down.
    pull-ups/chin-ups - as many as I can bang-out... usually 2-3 per "set" - getting in 8-10 total of each over the course of the day on the days I do them.