KittyHasher is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Smile 45 and learning new stuff

These forums don't seem to be used much, and that might be good for me. I'm not much for an audience, but somewhere to keep track of things is probably a good idea.

I'm 45 and currently in the National Guard. I was active Army once upon a time, but had to leave when I got divorced. The Army isn't a fan of single custodial parents, but the Guard isn't super concerned. So here we are, a long time later, about 3 years from retirement, and the Army decides to implement a whole new physical fitness test. Because why not? I haven't passed an APFT in about 2 years, as I've been on what we call a "temporary profile" on and off until they completed my permanent profile. I'm not allowed to do pushups any more, because of the bad things that the Army has done to my shoulders over 17 years of service. I can still do the hanging leg tucks, however, as long as it's not a lot of them in a row (the requirement is 3, I hope to be able to complete 5 eventually). So now my permanent profile is in order, and I was fully prepared to do a ton of sit-ups and run 2 miles really fast, I run marathons sometimes, so even with my pandemic laziness I'm not too far gone on those two exercises. But no, now I have to take the AFCT instead of the APFT. The ACFT consists of: the deadlift (minimum 140lbs on a trap bar, 3 reps); the standing power throw (a 10lb medicine ball must be thrown overhead at lest 4.5 meters from the start line); the hand release pushup (this I never have to do as I have a profile that precludes me from doing push-ups); the sprint-drag-carry (possibly the dumbest exercise ever: from a prone position Soldier must sprint 25m, cross the line with both feet, and sprint back, then pull a weighted sled 25m, cross the line with both feet and sled, then pull it back beyond the start, then lateral shuffle 25m touch the line with both foot and hand, lateral shuffle back, then carry two 40lb kettlebells 25m and back, then sprint again); the hanging leg tuck (alternating grip, thighs or knees must come in contact with elbows); the 2 mile run (self explanatory, run 2 miles in under 21minutes).

So I've started the Body Fit Combat Fit program. I'm at the end of week 1, and feeling pretty good. I've had to modify a couple of the exercises as the gym in my building doesn't have a pull-up bar, medicine ball, or exercise ball and I didn't have them at home either. I also had to skip the second strength workout because the app that we have to use to reserve the gym failed and I couldn't hang out to make sure I had one because of work (thanks COVID). I'm able to do the conditioning exercises at home though, so no need to try those at the gym. I received a shiny new pull-up bar yesterday and used it this morning in my conditioning workout. I couldn't perform the chin up, so instead I did reverse crunches, then hung from the bar until failure. I would like it if they made those for short people, but my step stool helped me out with that. My new medicine ball and exercise ball will arrive Monday, so I won't need to modify those from now on, although I'm a bit concerned about throwing the medicine ball over my head in my home, we'll see how that goes.

Tomorrow is my rest day, so I'm just going to have a nice easy 2 mile jog. Next week I plan to incorporate running into the workout days and just take walks on rest days, but I haven't run in a while and I need it. My next goal, after passing the ACFT, is running the Dopey at Walt Disney World in January. It's a bit more running than I've done before:. Thursday is a 5k, Friday a 10k, Saturday a half marathon, and Sunday a marathon. I've run the marathon by itself, and the other races together before, but not all 4 in 4 days, should be fun.

I posted a picture of myself after my workout this morning as my "before" photo. Hopefully in a few months I'll have better pictures to post. I'd like to lose a few lbs and tone up some areas while I'm doing this, so I can maintain a fitness level with a bit less effort than I'm exerting now. It's been tough, as I've gone from 90lb weakling to 115lbs of muscle to 150lbs of chub over the last 20 years, and I'm not loving it. I have no illusions that I'm ever going to get back down to 115, but I'd like to at least get stronger and leaner.

Today was "rest day" I went for a very slow (30 minute) 2 mile run, then did some body weight squats, glute bridges, and leg raises after. Back in the gym tomorrow for strength training, and really looking forward to it. I'm going to try to do an easy run after the workout as long as it's not raining. My gym reservation is at 5 and I'm not interested in being out in the rain in the evening. Morning runs in the rain are great fine, but for some reason I can't do it in the evening. Now if I can remember to make the gym reservation early I'll be able to get a morning slot.

Day 11 is in the books. I had to do less modifying today, as all of the equipment needed was in my gym. We don't have a landmine, so I just used the corner of the room to stabilize the bar. I don't do pushups (permanent profile as the repetitive and quick motion required for pushups in the APFT aggravates my old shoulder injuries), so the banded pushup exercise became a plank, but everything else was as instructed in the plan. I feel pretty good today, all things considered. I have lots of sore muscles in areas that I've been neglecting up until now, but that recedes a little with every workout. Tomorrow is a well deserved rest day, which will come with a nice slow jog again. Once I get through one iteration of the Combat Fit plan I'm going to add marathon training into the mix. I'd like to knock out at least one marathon before the end of this year so I'll know I'm fully prepared for Dopey in January.