iostream71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) iostream71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) iostream71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) iostream71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) iostream71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) iostream71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) iostream71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) iostream71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) iostream71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) iostream71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) iostream71 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

50M/5'10.5"/148lb Struggling with chest/stomach fat (pics)

I've always been skinny, and several years ago started getting more chest/stomach fat. I've worked out(weights and elliptical for cardio) for a number of years, but haven't progressed much because a spinal fusion and rod don't allow me to lift heavy. My diet is fairly decent, but could be better.

I'm concerned I have developed some gyno since it feels a bit lumpy at the bottom of my chest and not all fat. Endocrinologist said they couldn't determine without an ultrasound, and to monitor. I've been trying to cut back calories to a couple of hundred under my tdee(1845), but don't see much change. Should I eat more or keep trying to lose a bit? I feel like I'll be a skeleton if I drop much more.

I can give more details on diet/workout if necessary. Thanks
    Attached Images

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Didn't review your pics. Not discussing gyno as you already have doc working with you on that and I'm not a doc. Except to look at the side pic, looked like an average middle aged man, nothing unusual at all. Most people have some fat and not much muscle. Sadly, people with good physique in middle age are very rare (this site isn't population normal).

Fat loss is depressingly slow. Some areas of the body the under skin fat is thinner and as you lose a little weight you easily see a change (with me... my face). Some areas it is much thicker and as you lose a little weight, this looks like nothing has happened (for me.. my waist). This is just because if you take a little off an area that has a lot you don't see it.

There's no magic trick, you just need to keep going. Also calorie counting is very difficult especially getting portion sizes right. You need to measure/weigh some portions to get experience of just how crazy small they are to get the calorie numbers quoted, you'd be amazed what a portion looks like of some products. Their measure of portion is way smaller than my idea, so measure it.

Good luck, keep going, and follow the advice of your docs. Sensible controlled diet and sensible controlled exercise.

Also, have a read of this... https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=168581133
    Last edited by OldFartTom; 03-20-2021 at 01:41 AM.

iostream71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) iostream71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) iostream71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) iostream71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) iostream71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) iostream71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) iostream71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) iostream71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) iostream71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) iostream71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) iostream71 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for the advice. Still, I'm just trying to decide....should I try to cut more or add a little weight on? As far as the doc, there is no real advice. They literally just said keep an eye on it and see if it gets worse. Honestly kind of useless advice from them

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    While you are under muscled and have too much fat you can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time.

Unfortunately that becomes progressively more difficult as you get into shape and once people are in very good shape it is close to impossible, but when you are starting out... make the most of it while it's still possible!

Opinions will vary... Often people are advised to gain muscle first and cut later. That's good advice for many people but since you have concerns about fat distribution, it's probably a good idea to eat at slightly below maintenance (so you lose weight at a very slight/slow rate but no crash diets!!!) and at the same time start a structured exercise/weights program. Links to all this in my first post.

Good luck, and don't make this into some kind of exercise self punishment, make sure you enjoy it or you won't be able to stick to it.

Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    While you are under muscled and have too much fat you can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time.

Unfortunately that becomes progressively more difficult as you get into shape and once people are in very good shape it is close to impossible, but when you are starting out... make the most of it while it's still possible!

Opinions will vary... Often people are advised to gain muscle first and cut later. That's good advice for many people but since you have concerns about fat distribution, it's probably a good idea to eat at slightly below maintenance (so you lose weight at a very slight/slow rate but no crash diets!!!) and at the same time start a structured exercise/weights program. Links to all this in my first post.

Good luck, and don't make this into some kind of exercise self punishment, make sure you enjoy it or you won't be able to stick to it.
    Sounds good. I've been doing weights for many years using various programs(ppl at the moment). It just doesn't look like it because I can't lift heavy

MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by iostream71 View Post
    Sounds good. I've been doing weights for many years using various programs(ppl at the moment). It just doesn't look like it because I can't lift heavy
    Can you still do max effort high reps? 15-20? You can build muscle and improve your physique in that rep range. You can make exercises more challenging, by decreasing rest periods, adding reps, adding sets, slowing down the negative, pausing at different parts of the lift, increasing range of motion.

If you've been consistently eating less and less, it may be helpful to bring calories up a bit and stay there for 5-6 weeks then slowly lower them again. You may want to reduce the cardio too for that 5-6 weeks.

Also make sure you honestly and accurately tracking everything.
    WBFF Pro Muscle Model | Questions? Send me a private message.

Online Training/Coaching Application: https://www.gettfit.com/online-coaching/

Google Reviews of GettFit Online Coaching: https://g.page/r/CeuQw8grjXrzEAE

Instagram: mike.gettier

Join the ******** Group - Build Muscle, Lose Fat, and Become Stronger: https://www.********.com/groups/buildmusclelosefat

Registered User Vanilla-Gorilla's Avatar
    Vanilla-Gorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vanilla-Gorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vanilla-Gorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vanilla-Gorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vanilla-Gorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vanilla-Gorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vanilla-Gorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vanilla-Gorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vanilla-Gorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vanilla-Gorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vanilla-Gorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by iostream71 View Post
    My diet is fairly decent, but could be better.
    I stopped reading there.

If the workout is an issue due to surgery and injury then the diet needs to be on point even more.

I think also you need to maybe work with a trainer that can coach you around your injuries where you can adjust workouts in order to A. burn more energy and B. gain more muscle to help with the fat and weight.
    Pssst, Hey Buddy, your back is not that big, and your arms don't normally hang that way.

mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by MG5 View Post
    Can you still do max effort high reps? 15-20? You can build muscle and improve your physique in that rep range. You can make exercises more challenging, by decreasing rest periods, adding reps, adding sets, slowing down the negative, pausing at different parts of the lift, increasing range of motion.

If you've been consistently eating less and less, it may be helpful to bring calories up a bit and stay there for 5-6 weeks then slowly lower them again. You may want to reduce the cardio too for that 5-6 weeks.

Also make sure you honestly and accurately tracking everything.

^^^^ Yep

Put some muscle on OP, up the calories for a spell, you will see a difference. then re evaluate

Good luck
    Air Force Veteran 1976 - 1999 - Cannabis Enthusiast since the 1960's

Retired at 40 Crew - Social distancing expert - Living the Dream

I use the gender neutral pronouns "Fukker/Fukkers" a lot.

****** I don't always agree with the memes I post ******

I tell it like it is, if you want smoke blown up your ass or something sugar coated. I suggest you get a Hooker and a powdered donut.

Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If you are skinny but still have a belly, you're under muscled and need to build more overall muscle.

Losing weight doesn't help.