ipoody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ipoody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ipoody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ipoody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ipoody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ipoody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ipoody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ipoody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ipoody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ipoody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ipoody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

My first cut, help please!

Hey guys, I started my first cut 4 weeks ago at 86kg and 22% body fat.
    I am now at 82.5kg and 20%-21% body fat, is that a slow fat burn rate? I’m concerned as my strength has dipped a fair bit in this time and I’m scared it’s burning more muscle than fat

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    I expect you dropped 1 or 2kg in the first few days? That was mostly water weight.

If you have a complete set of weigh-ins, you can post them here and I can estimate your calorie deficit and decide if it's too high or not.

Generally, if you are dropping 0.5kg per week of actual fat (not water) then that's good going and you probably shouldn't trying to do it much faster than that.

BTW, I ignored the BF% estimates since most methods of measuring this (which don't involve very expensive lab equipment) can be WAY off.

safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Increase calories a little bit and carry on. You're cutting too quick if you're losing a lot of strength

ipoody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ipoody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ipoody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ipoody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ipoody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ipoody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ipoody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ipoody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ipoody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ipoody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ipoody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    I expect you dropped 1 or 2kg in the first few days? That was mostly water weight.

If you have a complete set of weigh-ins, you can post them here and I can estimate your calorie deficit and decide if it's too high or not.

Generally, if you are dropping 0.5kg per week of actual fat (not water) then that's good going and you probably shouldn't trying to do it much faster than that.

BTW, I ignored the BF% estimates since most methods of measuring this (which don't involve very expensive lab equipment) can be WAY off.
    It was actually more steady at the start, 0.1kg-0.15kg per day but now it’s going down 0.2kg-0.3kg. I was at 1,850cal but am upping it to 1,950cal as it’s coming off to quick with minimal body fat loss. Could it be that I’m losing visceral fat now before the subcutaneous fat?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by ipoody View Post
    It was actually more steady at the start, 0.1kg-0.15kg per day but now it’s going down 0.2kg-0.3kg. I was at 1,850cal but am upping it to 1,950cal as it’s coming off to quick with minimal body fat loss. Could it be that I’m losing visceral fat now before the subcutaneous fat?
    No, you are probably losing body fat - that was why I wrote the sentence trashing the BF% readings... because if you are using BIA device, it can lead you to think you aren't losing fat when you probably are.

Of course, it's not good if you are losing strength - muscle gives up its mass more cheaply than fat does so that could explain the numbers - you are probably losing a little of each. Yes, up your calories, keep protein above about 150g per day and keep training hard with weights.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    No, you are probably losing body fat - that was why I wrote the sentence trashing the BF% readings... because if you are using BIA device, it can lead you to think you aren't losing fat when you probably are.

Of course, it's not good if you are losing strength - muscle gives up its mass more cheaply than fat does so that could explain the numbers - you are probably losing a little of each. Yes, up your calories, keep protein above about 150g per day and keep training hard with weights.
    I have recently started training my back and shoulders (you actually helped with my bench press plateau question a few weeks ago) is there a way I may actually gain weight from training these muscle that were untrained before whilst cutting still? I start panicking when I see the scales go up and think I need to cut more

Hopefully you are training all major muscle groups - any that you miss out may suffer muscle loss if you don't train them during a cut.

Yes, it's possible to gain muscle during a cut but the calorie deficit has to be a lot smaller than what you have now, you would probably only be able to lose about 0.4kg a week or less. There is no real secret to it, just follow a good program that has progressive overload and keep your protein intake high enough.