hutchh is on a distinguished road. (+10)

First time cut diet

Hey guys,
    I've been working out 5-6 days a week consistently for a year as of next week, I've made really good strength and muscle gains and am in the best shape of my life, but did not start to focus on diet until about a month and a half ago. I decided to start cutting, my initial weight was around 191 Lbs. and I am 6'0". I figured that a good deficit would put me at 2200 calories and I have been extremely consistent with it and have lost around 8 Lbs. I have mostly been eating grilled skinless chicken breasts for my protein macro (180g-200g / Day) and haven't been super great at monitoring my other macros, but have steered clear from fast food and bad fats. I'm curious if this is a good diet for my cut that will go another 6 weeks, I'm starting to be able to see some vein lines but not popping out, more of just green trails under the skin and want them to be popping out by the end of next month!

Also not sure why it says I'm 51, I turn 21 in 3 weeks.

ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by hutchh View Post
    Hey guys,
    I've been working out 5-6 days a week consistently for a year as of next week, I've made really good strength and muscle gains and am in the best shape of my life, but did not start to focus on diet until about a month and a half ago. I decided to start cutting, my initial weight was around 191 Lbs. and I am 6'0". I figured that a good deficit would put me at 2200 calories and I have been extremely consistent with it and have lost around 8 Lbs. I have mostly been eating grilled skinless chicken breasts for my protein macro (180g-200g / Day) and haven't been super great at monitoring my other macros, but have steered clear from fast food and bad fats. I'm curious if this is a good diet for my cut that will go another 6 weeks, I'm starting to be able to see some vein lines but not popping out, more of just green trails under the skin and want them to be popping out by the end of next month!

Also not sure why it says I'm 51, I turn 21 in 3 weeks.
    Monitor your macros for the best results, but if you're happy with your progress then keep on.

This bodyweight planner is a good guideline for setting total calories. Link, or google "bodyweight planner," it's the one from the NIH.

https://www.niddk.nih.gov/bwp
    Once upon a time (maxes 2020) ...
    Squat 185, Bench 137, DL 205, @ bw 88.5 age 43

Workout Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1630928323&viewfull=1#post1630928323

Lreithm2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If just tracking protein is where you are comfortable right now then there is no need to set numbers for fat and carbs (assuming you’re eating mostly balanced). I would advise tracking these macros though and taking your time to learn your body. Some of us prefer and thrive off a higher carbohydrate ratio and others do well on high fat.

My very first cut was done just tracking protein and calories and it was just as successful as the three I’ve done after that. What’s best for you is what works for you and what you find easiest to be consistent with.

smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Both great advice above^^

After, I don't know how many now, bulk/cut cycles, I too only track cals and protein. I just fill the rest with fats and carbs and always consistantly lose 1 lb per week. It's like clockwork.

Obviously, calories are the end-all to weight gain or loss, so as long as you have this covered, the others can slide a little if you want. As Lreithm2 said, it doesn't hurt to learn more about your body and other aspects of the other macros too though; it's just not nesessary in order to have a successful cut.

It's more important, as ECGordyn said, if you're happy with your progress, to keep on keepin' on.

Just keep training like you were on bulk but reduce your cals so you lose about 1lb per week and you'll be fine.
    2017 OCB Men's Physique Open 4th place
    17 MP Novice 4th
    18 MP Novice 5th
    18 MP 40+ 3rd
    18 MP Open 5'10" & under 1st
    18 MP 40+ 1st & Overall..Pro Card Won
    19 Classic Phys Open 3rd
    19 CP 40+ 3rd
    19 BB open 3rd
    19 BB 40+ 1st..2nd Pro Card
    19 BB 40+1st..50+1st...3rd Pro Card
    21 BB 40+1st..50+1st..Open 5th..4th Card

AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I rarely actually monitor any of my macros and just try to eat a varied diet which is protein heavy. Fats tend to take care of themselves and carbs are unimportant except on a personal level anyway.

One comment that concerns me is that you are 'avoiding' fats. If you mean trans/saturated fats in junk food then fair enough. If you mean all fats then you have a problem as your hormonal health will take a dip if you aren't getting a reasonable amount of fat in your diet. Whether this be from fish, nuts, seeds, oils, dairy, meat etc doesn't really matter (again for health it might be worth keeping your consumption of saturated fat under control) but make sure you aren't eating too 'lean'.

Also I would say that after several more weeks grilled chicken breast will become pretty old. For sustainability's sake I would recommend eating food that actually tastes good. If you are inventive you can make fantastic and satiating meals during a cut without breaking the calorie bank. You can and should eat food you enjoy and there's no reason you can't fit moderate amounts of treats into your diet just to stop yourself going crazy. In my first cuts when the motivation was strong I could literally live off chicken and leaves but retrospectively a lot of my failures were down to thinking that was the answer longer term. Eventually your mind will not be able to continue without some stimulation from your food and your hunger/cravings will lead to slipups which will eventually slow or even halt your progress even if most of the time you have good adherence
    Somehow still managing to avoid getting 'too big'

Non-CEO, 0.1235K per day