Registered User AccomplishCoyot's Avatar
    AccomplishCoyot is on a distinguished road. (+10) AccomplishCoyot is on a distinguished road. (+10) AccomplishCoyot is on a distinguished road. (+10) AccomplishCoyot is on a distinguished road. (+10) AccomplishCoyot is on a distinguished road. (+10) AccomplishCoyot is on a distinguished road. (+10) AccomplishCoyot is on a distinguished road. (+10) AccomplishCoyot is on a distinguished road. (+10) AccomplishCoyot is on a distinguished road. (+10) AccomplishCoyot is on a distinguished road. (+10) AccomplishCoyot is on a distinguished road. (+10)

What's the point of a Power Bar?

I was recently looking over my barbell rack, and I came to a realization; if you have at least one specialty (straight) bar, do you really need a power bar?

Think about it; a cheap deadlift bar (around $300, less if you're willing to go boneyard) will be a better pulling experience than even the best power bar. A cheap squat bar (around between 300 and 400) will be better for squatting with (stiffer, thicker, likely more aggressive knurling) than any power bar. As for pressing movements, I'm not sure but I imagine the squat bar would feel pretty nice for those too.

In my opinion, once you've bought a deadlift bar, you may as well sell your power bar and just get a squat bar, because they will take up the same amount of rack slots, but you'll get a better pressing/squatting experience with the squat bar.

I imagine the only flaw in this is if you compete in a powerlifting federation that only uses a power bar; if that's the case, then this probably won't apply. But for everyone else, this seems like the best way forward. Is there any reason I shouldn't sell my OPB for a squat bar now that I've got an Ohio DL bar?

Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You could also make the argument that a multipurpose bar like the Rogue Ohio Bar or Rogue Bar 2.0 would work for all of the above. No one really needs a bar specific to the task, but some prefer it.

radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Duplicitous View Post
    You could also make the argument that a multipurpose bar like the Rogue Ohio Bar or Rogue Bar 2.0 would work for all of the above. No one really needs a bar specific to the task, but some prefer it.
    This. A 28.5mm bar with moderate knurl, IPF and IWF knurl marks, and moderate spin will work fine for everything. Beyond that, it's personal preference and specialization.

Your examples of deadlift and squat bars don't make a lot of sense though. A 29mm power bar can comfortably replace both of these for most lifters. A 29mm power bar with aggressive knurl works great for deadlifting, squatting, and a lot of people don't mind it for pressing.

I'd say you need a multipurpose bar or a power bar. No one needs an olympic, deadlift, or a squat bar unless they specialize in those lifts.
    Last edited by radrd; 03-07-2021 at 09:40 AM.

AccomplishCoyot is on a distinguished road. (+10) AccomplishCoyot is on a distinguished road. (+10) AccomplishCoyot is on a distinguished road. (+10) AccomplishCoyot is on a distinguished road. (+10) AccomplishCoyot is on a distinguished road. (+10) AccomplishCoyot is on a distinguished road. (+10) AccomplishCoyot is on a distinguished road. (+10) AccomplishCoyot is on a distinguished road. (+10) AccomplishCoyot is on a distinguished road. (+10) AccomplishCoyot is on a distinguished road. (+10) AccomplishCoyot is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I think you misunderstood my argument; lots of powerlifters have at least one specialty barbell that has a similar form factor to a power bar (straight barbell with spinning sleeves; differs only in diameter and knurl aggressiveness/pattern/coverage). I feel that oncebv you've purchased even one of those bars, you're at the point where a power bar no longer makes sense, and you'd be better off buying the combo of a deadlift and squat specific bar for the big 3.

Could a Rogue Ohio bar/American Barbell California bar/Rep gladiator/Fringe Bomba or any other 28.5mm bar do the same thing? Probably, but once you've already bought at least one specialty bar, why not get the right tool for the right job, when it isn't taking any extra space in the bar rack.

stev123456 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stev123456 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stev123456 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stev123456 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stev123456 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stev123456 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stev123456 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stev123456 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stev123456 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stev123456 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stev123456 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you compete in a three bar federation then I agree that you might as well have a deadlift bar, as from what I have heard adjustments to technique need to be made when deadlifting on a deadlift bar vs. a power bar. However, for most people I do not see the benefit of getting a squat bar as opposed to a regular powerbar. A squat bar all else being equal will usually cost more than an equal quality/brand power bar. Yet unless you are squatting something like 800+ pounds I don't think you will see much benefit or difference when using a squat bar as opposed to a regular powerbar. The only other exception I think of is people who are really wide and/or really inflexible. They may benefit from the increased collar to collar length of the squat bar. But these represent a fairly small portion of lifters.

Furthermore having a deadlift bar and powerbar combo would also allow you to compete in both 3 and 1 bar feds. So honestly i think a powerbar is a much better investment for most people than a squat bar.

radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by AccomplishCoyot View Post
    Could a Rogue Ohio bar/American Barbell California bar/Rep gladiator/Fringe Bomba or any other 28.5mm bar do the same thing? Probably, but once you've already bought at least one specialty bar, why not get the right tool for the right job, when it isn't taking any extra space in the bar rack.
    Is a squat bar the right tool for pressing? I've often thought it might be, but I bet most would argue that a power bar is the right tool.

ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I use my power bar for more than just bench and squats and I'd rather do things like barbell rows with it vs a squat bar. Unless you have a monster squat I don't really see the point in getting that to be your other bar besides a deadlift bar.

Originally Posted by ncsuLuke View Post
    I use my power bar for more than just bench and squats and I'd rather do things like barbell rows with it vs a squat bar. Unless you have a monster squat I don't really see the point in getting that to be your other bar besides a deadlift bar.
    A deadlift bar would likely be better for barbell rows; thinner and easier to grab, and with no center knurl to scrape you up. I was pointing out that a deadlift+squat bar makes more sense than does either of those in combination with a power bar.

Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    Is a squat bar the right tool for pressing? I've often thought it might be, but I bet most would argue that a power bar is the right tool.
    I feel like this is likely the biggest potential flaw; I personally prefer a thicker bar to press with, and many people I know do as well. However, there are some outliers who prefer a thinner bar for presses, so this is really subjective.

TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I feel like this is likely the biggest potential flaw; I personally prefer a thicker bar to press with, and many people I know do as well.
    I love my 2" solid bar that I got from Big Hess Strength (the one Donnie Thompson recommends).

80 pounds and with proper knurling.

I never press with my Rogue Ohio Power Bar or Olympic weightlifting bar any more.

ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    A deadlift bar would likely be better for barbell rows; thinner and easier to grab, and with no center knurl to scrape you up. I was pointing out that a deadlift+squat bar makes more sense than does either of those in combination with a power bar.
    I still disagree. I'd much rather have a deadlift bar and power bar as I see no real benefits to a squat bar because I am not squatting 800 lbs or anywhere close to it and a power bar is more than adequate for squats and a more versatile bar. Plus, if I decide to compete no one is going to be pressing with a squat bar.

I also wouldn't want to use a deadlift bar for rows or things like rack pulls. Unless you have an elite level squat this just doesn't make any sense IMO. Get whatever you want though, my opinion shouldn't matter for what you have in your home gym.

MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MGM711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I actually think this is a really interesting topic for debate as I completely agree with you that you're better of having multiple specialty bars for training than any single PB. And, if one is competing in a fed where only one bar type is used for all 3 lifts, I'm not sold that 29mm makes the most sense, if anything 28.5mm makes more sense because squats and bench will be minimally impacted and deadlifts would greatly benefit from the smaller diameter, or if PL really has Olympic aspirations, they should just move to 28mm because the squat would never be allowed in Olympic competition anyway, then you have a two lift Push/Pull meet where 28mm makes the most sense.

TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by ncsuLuke View Post
    I still disagree. I'd much rather have a deadlift bar and power bar as I see no real benefits to a squat bar because I am not squatting 800 lbs or anywhere close to it and a power bar is more than adequate for squats and a more versatile bar. Plus, if I decide to compete no one is going to be pressing with a squat bar.

I also wouldn't want to use a deadlift bar for rows or things like rack pulls. Unless you have an elite level squat this just doesn't make any sense IMO. Get whatever you want though, my opinion shouldn't matter for what you have in your home gym.
    I used to only use whatever bar was in whatever gym I happened to be at (for a long time Metroflex).

When I went home gym only, I started out only using a power bar and Olympic bar.

Over time I've come to really prefer specialty bars.

Duffalo bar is my go to for squats the past several years. Sooo much better than a regular power bar.

Heck, even Mark Rippetoe admits to squatting with what is basically a Buffalo/Duffalo type bar in that the bar is bent.

Marrs bar is in my rotation, but mainly just for front squats right now as it is the best for front squats I've ever tried (e.g., different grips with Olympic bar, front squat harness, black widow front squat bar, Crepinsek SSB, etc).

Once you go specialty bars, you basically will never go back to just one bar for everything. Unless, of course, you are forced to because of economic or space limitations.

Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by TunaGill View Post
    I love my 2" solid bar that I got from Big Hess Strength (the one Donnie Thompson recommends).

80 pounds and with proper knurling.

I never press with my Rogue Ohio Power Bar or Olympic weightlifting bar any more.
    I agree with this. I have 3 bars I press with. 1-1/4" (32mm), 1-1/2" and 2". Haven't used my power bar in years unless it's with a slingshot or reverse band.
    ▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #61 ▪█──█▪

Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I think you misunderstood my argument; lots of powerlifters have at least one specialty barbell that has a similar form factor to a power bar (straight barbell with spinning sleeves; differs only in diameter and knurl aggressiveness/pattern/coverage). I feel that oncebv you've purchased even one of those bars, you're at the point where a power bar no longer makes sense, and you'd be better off buying the combo of a deadlift and squat specific bar for the big 3.

No, I understood your argument. My point was that you could make a similar argument for a multipurpose bar as well, but despite having one some people still opt to get one or more other bars that they feel are better suited to a specific lift for a variety of individual reasons (bar diameter, length, distance between sleeves, weight, etc.). In other words, it's an individual choice. Does Madhouse Gym in GA need 45 leg presses/hack squats? Of course not. It's just an individual choice.

EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000) EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000) EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000) EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000) EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000) EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000) EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000) EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000) EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000) EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000) EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000)
    No, I understood your argument. My point was that you could make a similar argument for a multipurpose bar as well, but despite having one some people still opt to get one or more other bars that they feel are better suited to a specific lift for a variety of individual reasons (bar diameter, length, distance between sleeves, weight, etc.). In other words, it's an individual choice. Does Madhouse Gym in GA need 45 leg presses/hack squats? Of course not. It's just an individual choice.
    Madhouse is now in a single location, have not checked it out yet but hope to soon. I did get to one of the locations just before the pandemic and Mark took me around to show me all of the equipment. Had some awesome back pieces, then he let me do a work out. Probably has more equipment than the Kai Jax (?sp] in NC.
    I quote with pics. ()---() York Barbell Club #78 (DD) ()---()
    My gym walk thru: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=1629553623#post1629553623

Old Man Yelling at Cloud -=FLEX=-'s Avatar
    -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    My point was that you could make a similar argument for a multipurpose bar as well, but despite having one some people still opt to get one or more other bars that they feel are better suited to a specific lift for a variety of individual reasons (bar diameter, length, distance between sleeves, weight, etc.). In other words, it's an individual choice.
    Exactly.

Also it's going to depend on how big your lifts are. I bought Mrs Flex an Ohio bar and she uses it for everything. She benches 125ish and squats and deads low 200s (225 on a good day). There would literally be no benefit to her to get a super whippy deadlift bar or a super stiff squat bar. The bar is just not going to matter at her level.

Pre-covid I was squatting and deadlifting 600+. I have a 32mm bar for squats with no whip and a Texas Deadlift Bar. I wouldn't want to do deadlifts with a stiff bar nor would I want to squat with a whippy bar. I have before and it's not fun. Dude at my gym had a cerakote Rogue bar and he offered to let me use it. It was OK for bench, but when I had 6 plates/side on that bad boy for squats it was flopping around on my back like a fish in boat.

So yeah; personal preference and individual reasons.
    Insta: flexjs

Perseverance, Inc.

Spring Supremacy 2018 - 620/345/615 @ 50 yrs old

RIP Gene Rychlak