Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Best skipping rope for uncoordinated idiot?

OK, imagine you are poorly coordinated, never skipped and fitness has taken a terrible turn for the worse in last 12 months... Googling the subject of best beginners skipping rope gives entirely contradictory advice
    Rogue has a page with a million different skipping ropes and they're all expensive and none have name like "beginners".

What is the best thing for a total beginner to get started - a bit of heavy old rope, speed skipping rope, one from the Dollar (pound) store, or what?
    Faith in Jesus first and faith in squats second.
    Then other details will start to slot themselves into place.
    Bodyweight 69kg (08/Apr/2021)

In Witness Protection mtpockets's Avatar
    mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    OK, imagine you are poorly coordinated, never skipped and fitness has taken a terrible turn for the worse in last 12 months... Googling the subject of best beginners skipping rope gives entirely contradictory advice
    Rogue has a page with a million different skipping ropes and they're all expensive and none have name like "beginners".

What is the best thing for a total beginner to get started - a bit of heavy old rope, speed skipping rope, one from the Dollar (pound) store, or what?
    Just jump up and down and pretend you have a rope, less coordination required, you'll save a couple of bucks and wont trip...
    Air Force Veteran 1976 - 1999

Do your part, don't be a #maskhole

7Seconds has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 7Seconds has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 7Seconds has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 7Seconds has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 7Seconds has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 7Seconds has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 7Seconds has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 7Seconds has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 7Seconds has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 7Seconds has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 7Seconds has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

You're going to want carbon fiber grips. Sleep Number type adjustability. Glow in the dark silk core with poly-carbon mantle equalling no more than 30% of the ropes weight. 4 stage adjustable hand guards and that's just the rope. We also need to discuss the, 3 piece, titanium rimmed, polished oak jumping platform you're going to need.
    As you go the way of life, you will see a great chasm. Jump. It is not as wide as you think.

OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by 7Seconds View Post
    You're going to want carbon fiber grips. Sleep Number type adjustability. Glow in the dark silk core with poly-carbon mantle equalling no more than 30% of the ropes weight. 4 stage adjustable hand guards and that's just the rope. We also need to discuss the, 3 piece, titanium rimmed, polished oak jumping platform you're going to need.
    So you've been on the Rogue site too. Even narrowing it down to something endorsed by Rich Froning (obviously that's essential for a beginner) it's still a bewildering array. Is there a particular finish of titanium needed for it to be classed as "functional" and is it true the more I spend the fitter it will make me?

7Seconds has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 7Seconds has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 7Seconds has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 7Seconds has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 7Seconds has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 7Seconds has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 7Seconds has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 7Seconds has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 7Seconds has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 7Seconds has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 7Seconds has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    So you've been on the Rogue site too. Even narrowing it down to something endorsed by Rich Froning (obviously that's essential for a beginner) it's still a bewildering array. Is there a particular finish of titanium needed for it to be classed as "functional" and is it true the more I spend the fitter it will make me?

Don’t remember the site but I was looking last year around the start of Covid and was a bit surprised with all that was involved. From what I remember being told by others is if you’re serious about your rope jumping, get an Rx Rope. Weighted ropes improve your wrist and forearm strength. You'll get the best cardio results from speed rope or a normal rope. I just wanted it for a warmup a couple of times a week. I bought a $2 Golds Gym rope at Walmart. I hated that one. Upgraded to the $10-12 model and have used it a couple of times a week for almost a year. Works great for what I need.
    As you go the way of life, you will see a great chasm. Jump. It is not as wide as you think.

ajdahlheimer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ajdahlheimer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ajdahlheimer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ajdahlheimer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ajdahlheimer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ajdahlheimer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ajdahlheimer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ajdahlheimer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ajdahlheimer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ajdahlheimer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ajdahlheimer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Hey man, I've been regularly skipping rope for ~5 years now. www.crossrope.com definitely has the best quality ropes IMO. I've bought 4 different ones from them. A little more expensive, but worth it. For your first rope, I'd recommend a 1/4 pound rope.

Here is a vid of me w/the 1/4 pound rope. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PWe...ature=youtu.be

Keep in mind when I first started, I couldn't even keep a basic rhythm. Takes consistent practice, but it becomes second nature after a while.

-AJ
    Epic Beard Man crew

My Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=164109201&page=61

sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by mtpockets View Post
    Just jump up and down and pretend you have a rope, less coordination required, you'll save a couple of bucks and wont trip...
    Chit, you beat me to it...
    Follow my 2018 competition prep here:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175566421&p=1547462721#post1547462721

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I know one of the main former trainers for George Foreman and jump-rope is one of the staples fr cardio. They are pros.

I haven't searched, but try "Jump rope for boxers." Boxers also use weighted ropes. Some are very weighted and thick.
    Helping one person may not change the world, but it could change the world for one person.

Misc Blood Drive: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175220881

Originally Posted by ajdahlheimer View Post
    Hey man, I've been regularly skipping rope for ~5 years now. www.crossrope.com definitely has the best quality ropes IMO. I've bought 4 different ones from them. A little more expensive, but worth it. For your first rope, I'd recommend a 1/4 pound rope.

Here is a vid of me w/the 1/4 pound rope. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PWe...ature=youtu.be

Keep in mind when I first started, I couldn't even keep a basic rhythm. Takes consistent practice, but it becomes second nature after a while.

-AJ
    Thanks, what I did get from your video was that you were jumping on a mat and the skip rope was striking it. I'm going to be on wooden decking, probably should grab a mat then...

So a lighter choice of a weighted rope. Right.. will see what I can get in the £10 range. But not sure I'm ready to pay big bucks for crossrope at this stage!

ajdahlheimer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ajdahlheimer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ajdahlheimer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ajdahlheimer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ajdahlheimer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ajdahlheimer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ajdahlheimer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ajdahlheimer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ajdahlheimer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ajdahlheimer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ajdahlheimer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks, what I did get from your video was that you were jumping on a mat and the skip rope was striking it. I'm going to be on wooden decking, probably should grab a mat then...

So a lighter choice of a weighted rope. Right.. will see what I can get in the £10 range. But not sure I'm ready to pay big bucks for crossrope at this stage!
    The mat is 100% to preserve the rope. When I was just skipping on concrete--it chewed through my first rope in about a year. Need to get more than a year out of a $65 rope. So the mat is a necessity. I've had the three ropes I currently own for years now and they are in great shape.
    Epic Beard Man crew

My Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=164109201&page=61

Got this, waiting for it to arrive https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274710323033

My plan is 3 mins every weekday, increasing by 1 minute each week. I'm expecting 3 minutes of stumbling and swearing for the entire session in first week rather than skipping. At what point that will transform into minutes of fluid coordinated exercise I don't yet know. Once I can actually skip I'll look into ropes with specific weights etc (noting the 1/4lb suggestion above)

Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I have a RX smart gear rope, when I was doing crossfit it was kind of a standard item. I am thinking I have had it for 4-5 years now...rope just now needs to be replaced.

Start with a heavier gauge rope to give "feedback"
    Please record my time/reps if I pass out

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If you really want to torture yourself at a slower more easily coordinated pace, look at weighted ropes. They are like thicker rubber material an you skip rope slower, and it is easier to not get tangled up, but will make your shoulders scream along with getting winded. We used to use them for wrestling and I HATED them lol. Jumping rope is no joke, I get winded quick when I bust out the jump rope. I have a few cheap "everlast" rubber ropes that work just fine for $5-7. Heavy bag is another great/fun garage type cardio option if you are moving around.

weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Walmart or Winners or alike all would carry quality speed rope in their sport’s section. It has to have “speed” in its name. The other thing you need is Time. Skipping is a very specific move, put in time and you will get better.