Swing4daFence is on a distinguished road. (+10)

54 Year Old Hardgainer needs Workout Program Ideas

Only been back to the gym for a few months after a several decade sabbatical. I have a very typical ectomorph frame. A bit skinny fat (a few extra pounds around gut and love handles). 150 pounds at 5'9" and 54 years of age. Very skinny legs and long skinny arms.

My goal is to train typically for hypertrophy. I can hit the weights in a decent gym up to 5 times a week. I'd like to bulk up at least with 20 pounds of muscle and lose my gut and love handles (and willing to do what I have to to achieve that six pack). I've been working legs pretty hard and they're starting to look better. I guess I used up my newbie gains many months ago and seem to have stagnated severely.

Could I please get some input from some of you experienced guys/gals who understand my body shape struggles and at 54 years of age, not sure if I can push it like a 25 year old. Any workout program ideas/days/sets/reps would be great.

paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Start with the Fierce 5 up there in the stickies. It's a 3x/week Full Body program. Eventually you can advance the Fierce 5 Push Pull Legs rest Upper Lower rest.

air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I suggest acknowledging to yourself that your body is what it is not because you're 54, a hardgainer, a supposed ectomorph, done with newbie gains, etc. - but because you took a several decade sabbatical and have only been back in the gym for a few months.

This way you can focus on making progress instead of reasons why you can't. As suggested above, F5 or the other novice routines in the stickies will be a good start. See the stickies in the Nutrition forum to adjust your diet to suit your goals.

paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I used to be 5'8" and weighed 160 when I was 23. Could bench 225 for about 8 reps. I don't think I ever did more than 8 reps in any set back then. 5-8 with heavy weight was the norm. Took a 30 year break from lifting. Now I'm 53. I don't do any less than 12 nor any more than 20 reps in a set with lighter weight. Your joints will tell you if it's too heavy. Take this advice from someone that had frozen pipes in his house and for his pre workout coffee had to use water from the toilet. That is representative of how every day of mine is like.