msunurse12 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Hip abduction exercises

I was curious if people think these movements are a good idea to add to a lower body day. Has anyone programmed hip abduction exercises into their workout routine and actually seen results? What’s the best way to do them? (standing, lying...)

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Absolutely.

They train the upper glute which is not well trained by a lot of other exercises. It has also helped me with lower back issues especially when squatting.

A leg abduction machine is good. If you don't have one, weighted leg raises can work. Bret Contreras shows how you can extend the ROM of these in an article I've seen (should be an easy google). I also do them standing using a band around my ankle.

Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I started using the abduction machine along with band work as part of my pre squat and deadlift routine. Big fan of it.
    Bench: 365
    Squat: 495
    Deadlift: 535

air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You can also do db lateral/side lunges, which is more similar to sports movements.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Absolutely.

They train the upper glute which is not well trained by a lot of other exercises. It has also helped me with lower back issues especially when squatting.

A leg abduction machine is good. If you don't have one, weighted leg raises can work. Bret Contreras shows how you can extend the ROM of these in an article I've seen (should be an easy google). I also do them standing using a band around my ankle.
    I’ve seen people do them standing using a dumbbell on their hip, do you think this is a good variation?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by msunurse12 View Post
    I’ve seen people do them standing using a dumbbell on their hip, do you think this is a good variation?
    You mean holding the DB at arms length on your thigh? It could work I guess. Lying on your side might be better (so most of the movement is against gravity). You'd need a heavier weight because it's less far down the lever (your leg).

Ultimately the test is: do you feel the target muscle starting to tire after 15 reps or less?

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    You mean holding the DB at arms length on your thigh? It could work I guess. Lying on your side might be better (so most of the movement is against gravity). You'd need a heavier weight because it's less far down the lever (your leg).

Ultimately the test is: do you feel the target muscle starting to tire after 15 reps or less?
    Yeah, I wasn’t sure if that would be a good idea. It seems like you would get a better range of motion but then again you really have nothing to fight against so it might be pointless. I haven’t ever done the exercise except with a machine, and my current gym doesn’t have one

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The "clam shell"exercise is good easier bodyweight movement for abductors.
    Lying on your side legs bent,raise the top leg as high as you can with slow movement back and forth.
    High reps are the best this one and you will probably feel it good if you can do reps in the 30-50 range per set.
    roll to the other side and do the same.

weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I think I am the only man in our gym who train hip abductors. As far as results go, I raised the weight, but I am far from seeing the difference in the mirror.