View Poll Results: Shall I continue the cut?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Continue the cut another 2 weeks

2 28.57%
  • Stop the cut and bulk slowly

5 71.43%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    FallingBridge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FallingBridge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FallingBridge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FallingBridge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FallingBridge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FallingBridge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FallingBridge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FallingBridge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FallingBridge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FallingBridge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FallingBridge has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Stop the cut or go for another couple of weeks? Pic inside

Hi all,
    Long journey since I started, thanks to this forum (couple of years on Fierce 5 Novice, then different programs, only last year 100% effort on bodybuilding, as my volleyball activity is stopped due to COVID).
    40 days ago I started my first cut, I wanted to get rid of bloody love handles, and I must say I'm quite satisfied.

In 40 days I lost 5 kgs (70 to 65), body fat self estimated with a caliper down from 17% to 12% (which is the status on the picture).

Now I don't know what to do: shall I cut another bit, knowing that I'm already happy of my condition, or shall I start a long and steady bulk? Obviously I'm not competing, also I want to look athletic, not a powerlifter (no risks there eh?)

FallingBridge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FallingBridge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FallingBridge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FallingBridge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FallingBridge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FallingBridge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FallingBridge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FallingBridge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FallingBridge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FallingBridge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FallingBridge has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Can you post a picture in bodyspace? link is dodgy
    Somehow still managing to avoid getting 'too big'

Non-CEO, 0.1235K per day

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I see zero reason to continue cutting further. I would start a long and slow bulk. Gaining ~1 to 1.5 pounds per month, not more.

Good job on the cut. 5 kg in 40 days is quite impressive. Did you maintain all your strength?

Originally Posted by AlexSays View Post
    Will do, weird for me it works!

Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post
    I see zero reason to continue cutting further. I would start a long and slow bulk. Gaining ~1 to 1.5 pounds per month, not more.

Good job on the cut. 5 kg in 40 days is quite impressive. Did you maintain all your strength?
    My big fear is seeing those hated love handles appear again. I wonder if cutting further would "kill" the adipocytes? Just thinking lol I'm not qualified for this 😅

AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thanks for posting the picture. I agree that you could probably move over to strength gain now. I would however start at maintenance and only up calories a small amount if progress stalls. Great job on the weight loss

Just a note, callipers tend to be a fairly inaccurate method of determining bodyfat. If you want an estimate from experience you can post in the 'estimate my bodyfat' thread in the fat loss forum. I'd place you closer to 15%

These are however just numbers and shouldn't bother you as long as you are happy with how you look. If you seriously seriously hate the 'love handles' it might be worth losing another couple of kg because although you are approaching lean in your current state, you won't have too much weight gain 'space' before fat will likely start reappearing on your hips
    Somehow still managing to avoid getting 'too big'

Non-CEO, 0.1235K per day

It's done.

Thanks for posting the picture. I agree that you could probably move over to strength gain now. I would however start at maintenance and only up calories a small amount if progress stalls. Great job on the weight loss

Just a note, callipers tend to be a fairly inaccurate method of determining bodyfat. If you want an estimate from experience you can post in the 'estimate my bodyfat' thread in the fat loss forum. I'd place you closer to 15%

These are however just numbers and shouldn't bother you as long as you are happy with how you look. If you seriously seriously hate the 'love handles' it might be worth losing another couple of kg because although you are approaching lean in your current state, you won't have too much weight gain 'space' before fat will likely start reappearing on your hips
    Thanks mate for the reply. I've posted 3 pictures to let you assess better.

I was thinking to stop, go back to maintenance as you suggested and maybe redo a minicut in June for the summer season.

Now I know I'm able to lose weight very fast and with little to none strength loss, gives me confidence for the future!

How do you suggest to build back? 200 cal increase each week?

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by FallingBridge View Post
    My big fear is seeing those hated love handles appear again. I wonder if cutting further would "kill" the adipocytes? Just thinking lol I'm not qualified for this ������
    No that's not how it works. In fact one could argue that cutting further than this sets you up to gain fat back quicker.

I would ease back in to maintenance and then adjust calories when you need it to make progress.

No that's not how it works. In fact one could argue that cutting further than this sets you up to gain fat back quicker.

I would ease back in to maintenance and then adjust calories when you need it to make progress.
    Thanks! I will add 200 cal per week and back to 2400 which I believe is my maintenance

Thanks! I will add 200 cal per week and back to 2400 which I believe is my maintenance
    That seems rather slow.

At how many calories are you now?

snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Just an fyi it’s unlikely in 40 days your body fat went down 5% even with that much weight coming off. That’s a decent weekly weight drop at 1.5 lbs a week though. But, to lose that much weight while maintaining strength is surprising because your fairly lean/low weight at 143lbs. What is your height? What are your current lifts?

I would bulk as above says
    SuperHercules crew
    cancer survivor crew
    Dyslexic crew
    Friend of Mr.Wilson crew
    Ugly and old cell crew
    Cat crew
    Insomniac crew

That seems rather slow.

At how many calories are you now?
    I'm at 2000, I don't really know what my maintenance is, years ago it was 2400, maybe it's increased now... On the other hand due to COVID and home working I don't walk a lot during the day...

Originally Posted by snailsrus View Post
    Just an fyi it’s unlikely in 40 days your body fat went down 5% even with that much weight coming off. That’s a decent weekly weight drop at 1.5 lbs a week though. But, to lose that much weight while maintaining strength is surprising because your fairly lean/low weight at 143lbs. What is your height? What are your current lifts?

I would bulk as above says
    It's very probable that my measurements are inaccurate! Although I was very happy of the appearance result, which is enough 😅.
    I'm 1.78m, always been thin (in my early 29s I was 55kg...).
    Squat 80x6, bench 60x6, pull up +10kg x 8q

I'm at 2000, I don't really know what my maintenance is, years ago it was 2400, maybe it's increased now... On the other hand due to COVID and home working I don't walk a lot during the day...
    I expect you can go straight back to 2300 and then slowly increase to reach maintenance.

GetFlackedFoo is just really nice. (+1000) GetFlackedFoo is just really nice. (+1000) GetFlackedFoo is just really nice. (+1000) GetFlackedFoo is just really nice. (+1000) GetFlackedFoo is just really nice. (+1000) GetFlackedFoo is just really nice. (+1000) GetFlackedFoo is just really nice. (+1000) GetFlackedFoo is just really nice. (+1000) GetFlackedFoo is just really nice. (+1000) GetFlackedFoo is just really nice. (+1000) GetFlackedFoo is just really nice. (+1000)
    Start hitting them legs hard mane, good work

These are my measurements with caliper (self measured... not easy for the back lol). I hope it's readable

Date Chest Abdominal Thigh Bicep Tricep Subscapular Suprailiac Lower Back Calf Weight Body Fat
    20/1/2021 7 16 15 3 10 10 8 18 8 69.7 16.69244591
    14/2/2021 6 11 12 3 7 8 7 14 7 67.3 13.64819911
    3/3/2021 5 8.5 10 2.5 5 7 8.5 10 6.5 65 11.87015372

Originally Posted by GetFlackedFoo View Post
    Start hitting them legs hard mane, good work
    Thanks mate.
    Hard to hit legs properly without a leg press (and I can't do leg extension, I get knee pain). I mainly do back squat, leg curl and lunges and bulgarian split squat.

It's very probable that my measurements are inaccurate! Although I was very happy of the appearance result, which is enough 😅.
    I'm 1.78m, always been thin (in my early 29s I was 55kg...).
    Squat 80x6, bench 60x6, pull up +10kg x 8q
    Your pull up is quite good but your bench press is lacking. What happened?

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    how is the 2000 affecting your loss on a weekly basis? You can work backwards from there math wise and figure your maintenance. Years ago maintenance will not be valid as your NEAT most likely changed and your body weight is different so best to work off the current 2000 number.

If you get leaner before going into a Mass adding stage there is a potential of your body wanting some fat back on before muscle so best to move forward with zee mossles
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Your pull up is quite good but your bench press is lacking. What happened?
    Partly I had to reduce the push compared to the pull based on doctor recommendation, but also I stall much quicker on press than pull... I don't have access to machine like chest fly, maybe that's also limiting my gains?

Also chin up + 15kg (arms fully extended likewise in pull up).

What do you think of my squat?

Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    how is the 2000 affecting your loss on a weekly basis? You can work backwards from there math wise and figure your maintenance. Years ago maintenance will not be valid as your NEAT most likely changed and your body weight is different so best to work off the current 2000 number.

If you get leaner before going into a Mass adding stage there is a potential of your body wanting some fat back on before muscle so best to move forward with zee mossles
    On a 40 days basis maybe it's hard to tell, I lost almost 5kg.

Anyway I'm convinced, I up my calories till maintenance and try to progress in lifts. If stall, I up the calories more. My priority is the fxxxxx love handles OUT.

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    On a 40 days basis maybe it's hard to tell, I lost almost 5kg.

Anyway I'm convinced, I up my calories till maintenance and try to progress in lifts. If stall, I up the calories more. My priority is the fxxxxx love handles OUT.
    So that means you had a big deficit and about 1.75 lbs a week loss so your maintenance is about 2,800 a day. Don't add those calories back in all at once. Don't add calories just because a lift stalls. Keep an eye in your waist measurement and if that starts growing too much cut back on calories however if it doesn't grow at all you probably need to eat a bit more.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Partly I had to reduce the push compared to the pull based on doctor recommendation
    Why? Did you have any problem?

I don't have access to machine like chest fly, maybe that's also limiting my gains?
    Not necessarily. Bench press alone can be fine but you'll need to do enough volume.

You also don't need leg press for bigger legs. Squats alone can be enough.

Also chin up + 15kg (arms fully extended likewise in pull up).
    Good work.

What do you think of my squat?
    Moving in the right direction.

Why? Did you have any problem?

Not necessarily. Bench press alone can be fine but you'll need to do enough volume.

You also don't need leg press for bigger legs. Squats alone can be enough.

Good work.

Moving in the right direction.
    I had a front shoulder pain (disappeared after a month so no big issue, but I explained to the doctor that I was also playing volleyball so he told me to reduce push and increase pull. Now since a year I do equally push/pull (and stopped Volley for COVID).

How high volume in your opinion? Should I sacrifice proximity to failure?

Thanks for all the help and the positive spirit, gives me will to continue and improve! You guys are great. Not like in the italian dumbass ******** group.

I had a front shoulder pain (disappeared after a month so no big issue, but I explained to the doctor that I was also playing volleyball so he told me to reduce push and increase pull. Now since a year I do equally push/pull (and stopped Volley for COVID).
    Ah. Was it in the shoulder that you serve and smash with?

How high volume in your opinion? Should I sacrifice proximity to failure?
    Enough volume to make progress. Achieving 6x70 shouldn't be hard for you, in theory.

If you can improve your bench with 2 x 4 sets per week that's great. If not, you could try 2 x 5 sets or 3 x 3 sets. (with 2x 4 I mean 2 separate days with 4 sets each)

Basically you want to use enough volume so that you're getting stronger in the medium rep ranges. Same for your squat.

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    My big fear is seeing those hated love handles appear again. I wonder if cutting further would "kill" the adipocytes? Just thinking lol I'm not qualified for this 😅
    If you lost fat once, u can do it again.
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

Should I sacrifice proximity to failure?
    You never have to lift with more than RPE 8-9 in my opinion. Especially with a shoulder that's prone to injury.

You never have to lift with more than RPE 8-9 in my opinion. Especially with a shoulder that's prone to injury.
    Thanks, that means 1 rep reserve on a 6 rep series and roughly 2 reps left on 12, right?
    For the record, it was the other shoulder (the left). I'm stronger with the left, so I tend to be unbalanced; for about a year a did almost only dumbbell bench press to balance left/side but I stalled quite quickly.