Thread: Help

danny382 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Help

Hey guys, I’ve been training for about 2 years now, I would consider my body fat to be on the higher side, I’ve never measured it or anything like that but I would like some advice as to how I can just tighten up my body in general without necessarily losing weight, I’ve come to the realization that I’d probably have to weigh around 180 to be decently cut, I wouldn’t like to drop down that low as I’d probably just look too skinny given my height (6’2) i currently weigh 196, my diet is decent, during the week at least, lots of chicken, eggs, fish, canned tuna, protein shakes etc. (also I wanted to post pics to give you guys a better idea but I’m not sure how?)

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    You don't have to diet all the way to a lean state you can zig zag.

It is true that most people would look too skinny if they do this without having built a good base of muscle first - but it's not like you are only allowed to do one mass gain and one fat loss phase...

General advice is in the sticky threads at the top of the page. If there is anything not clear, let us know.

Registered User jackedbyscience's Avatar
    jackedbyscience will become famous soon enough. (+50) jackedbyscience will become famous soon enough. (+50) jackedbyscience will become famous soon enough. (+50) jackedbyscience will become famous soon enough. (+50) jackedbyscience will become famous soon enough. (+50) jackedbyscience will become famous soon enough. (+50) jackedbyscience will become famous soon enough. (+50) jackedbyscience will become famous soon enough. (+50) jackedbyscience will become famous soon enough. (+50) jackedbyscience will become famous soon enough. (+50) jackedbyscience will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by danny382 View Post
    Hey guys, I’ve been training for about 2 years now, I would consider my body fat to be on the higher side, I’ve never measured it or anything like that but I would like some advice as to how I can just tighten up my body in general without necessarily losing weight, I’ve come to the realization that I’d probably have to weigh around 180 to be decently cut, I wouldn’t like to drop down that low as I’d probably just look too skinny given my height (6’2) i currently weigh 196, my diet is decent, during the week at least, lots of chicken, eggs, fish, canned tuna, protein shakes etc. (also I wanted to post pics to give you guys a better idea but I’m not sure how?)
    It is a bit difficult to asses without seeing pictures and knowing more about your current body composition, training history, etc. However, I'll try to provide you some general advices giving the fact you ideally want to loose some body fat without loosing to much weight.

What you're trying to accomplish is called "body recomposition" which is basically adding muscle mass and loosing body fat at the same time. You can search online about this topic or even on this forum and website, you could find good information. Body recomposition is specially a good idea for individuals that are either overweight or have high amount of body fat and that are new to training or that haven't trained for a while.

My advices will be:

1) Learn to count and track your calories and macros, no matter if you’d like to loose, gain or maintain your weight. Use an app like MyFitnessPal for a while and try to adhere to your plans... It could sound like a pain in the ass at the beginning, but trust me you get used to it and it's not a big deal and it's one of the few ways I've seen is effective to learn about what we're actually eating and to manipulate as needed or nutrition (in order to be on maintenance or gaining/loosing weight).
    2) Once you understand how to calculate your calories (either using myfitnesspal or an online calorie calculator, there are plenty of them), put yourself in a small caloric deficit for some time (no more than 300 calories daily) and track your weight/body composition.
    3) Incorporate immediately (if you are not doing it already), weight/strength training in your daily routine. This step is crucial, because it would be almost impossible for you to loose fat, without loosing body weight if you're not lifting weights and adding lean muscle mass.
    4) Use a low impact form of cardio to help accelerating the process of loosing body fat. Your priority should always be strength training, however incorporating low impact cardio like walking, also helps.
    5) Invest most of your training time on compound movements.

I hope it helps.

Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Without a pic it’s impossible to give you accurate advice. You may need to either concentrate on adding muscle or losing fat rather than chasing a recomp which you may have very limited success with
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
    -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

jackedbyscience will become famous soon enough. (+50) jackedbyscience will become famous soon enough. (+50) jackedbyscience will become famous soon enough. (+50) jackedbyscience will become famous soon enough. (+50) jackedbyscience will become famous soon enough. (+50) jackedbyscience will become famous soon enough. (+50) jackedbyscience will become famous soon enough. (+50) jackedbyscience will become famous soon enough. (+50) jackedbyscience will become famous soon enough. (+50) jackedbyscience will become famous soon enough. (+50) jackedbyscience will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    Without a pic it’s impossible to give you accurate advice. You may need to either concentrate on adding muscle or losing fat rather than chasing a recomp which you may have very limited success with
    It's true it's impossible to provide accurate advice without pics and more information. Just curious about your thoughts on recomp... It seems you don't see it's worth it in any case?

I believe it is a good approach if certain conditions are met... for example, an overweight individual who is new to training or who hasn't trained for years.

Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by jackedbyscience View Post
    It's true it's impossible to provide accurate advice without pics and more information. Just curious about your thoughts on recomp... It seems you don't see it's worth it in any case?

I believe it is a good approach if certain conditions are met... for example, an overweight individual who is new to training or who hasn't trained for years.
    an overweight individual is better served concentrating on fatloss unless their fat is held in the stomach area and they’re considered skinny fat. These guys even though they may technically have high bodyfat may very well need to concentrate an muscle gain that’s why a photo is essential rather than just saying they’re at a certain BF percent.
    It can be very difficult to get the diet and training right. To recomp you also need the genes that will allow it. The best candidates are those that in the past built a decent amount of muscle and are returning to training and know how to structure their diet properly.
    Last edited by Tommy W.; 03-03-2021 at 09:13 AM.

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

an overweight individual is better served concentrating on fatloss unless their fat is held in the stomach area and they’re considered skinny fat. These guys even though they may technically have high bodyfat may very well need to concentrate an muscle gain that’s why a photo is essential rather than just saying they’re at a certain BF percent.
    It can be very difficult to get the diet and training right. To recomp you also need the genes that will allow it. The best candidates are those that in the past built a decent amount of muscle and are returning to training and know how to structure their diet properly.
    Fair enough, it makes sense. I actually probably fit in that category (built a decent amount of muscle in my twenties, then got obese, then recomp at 36 and worked wonderful)... it worked for me, but it doesn't mean it'll work for everyone.

Fair enough, it makes sense. I actually probably fit in that category (built a decent amount of muscle in my twenties, then got obese, then recomp at 36 and worked wonderful)... it worked for me, but it doesn't mean it'll work for everyone.
    Well in many cases like yours you really didn't recomp but what you did was strip off the fat to expose your existing muscle which gives the illusion of gaining muscle.

Well in many cases like yours you really didn't recomp but what you did was strip off the fat to expose your existing muscle which gives the illusion of gaining muscle.
    haha bro, I doubt there was much remaining muscle under that fat, considering I completely stopped training for more than 10 years and my nutrition was really bad, but I get your point. Either way for an overweight individual the strategy should be the same IMO: a caloric deficit and prioritizing strength training and adding some some form of cardio (not required, but it helps).

It is a bit difficult to asses without seeing pictures and knowing more about your current body composition, training history, etc. However, I'll try to provide you some general advices giving the fact you ideally want to loose some body fat without loosing to much weight.

What you're trying to accomplish is called "body recomposition" which is basically adding muscle mass and loosing body fat at the same time. You can search online about this topic or even on this forum and website, you could find good information. Body recomposition is specially a good idea for individuals that are either overweight or have high amount of body fat and that are new to training or that haven't trained for a while.

My advices will be:

1) Learn to count and track your calories and macros, no matter if you’d like to loose, gain or maintain your weight. Use an app like MyFitnessPal for a while and try to adhere to your plans... It could sound like a pain in the ass at the beginning, but trust me you get used to it and it's not a big deal and it's one of the few ways I've seen is effective to learn about what we're actually eating and to manipulate as needed or nutrition (in order to be on maintenance or gaining/loosing weight).
    2) Once you understand how to calculate your calories (either using myfitnesspal or an online calorie calculator, there are plenty of them), put yourself in a small caloric deficit for some time (no more than 300 calories daily) and track your weight/body composition.
    3) Incorporate immediately (if you are not doing it already), weight/strength training in your daily routine. This step is crucial, because it would be almost impossible for you to loose fat, without loosing body weight if you're not lifting weights and adding lean muscle mass.
    4) Use a low impact form of cardio to help accelerating the process of loosing body fat. Your priority should always be strength training, however incorporating low impact cardio like walking, also helps.
    5) Invest most of your training time on compound movements.

I hope it helps.

Posted pics on my dashboard!! Any feed back is appreciated!

Tommy! I posted pics on the my body space! Constructive criticism is appreciated!

Posted pics on my dashboard!! Any feed back is appreciated!
    My opinion is that you're decently build and just need to continue working and be patience. It is hard to tell for sure, but based on your structure I think you shouldn't have problem to pack additional muscle mass with the required work.

If I were you, I'd stick to eating at or close to your caloric maintenance level and focus on getting stronger and continue adding muscle mass.

The key thing here in order for you to have the control and be able to manipulate the strategy based on your goals is learning to count calories. Just start using myfitnesspal and see how it goes.

Tommy! I posted pics on the my body space! Constructive criticism is appreciated!
    It looks like you have a decent base. If I were you and I've been about where you are in the past, Id Lift with intensity in a calorie deficit and maintain the muscle you have which looks like it's pretty good under the fat layer and eat in a 500 per day deficit and drop 15 to 20 lbs and then re assess where you are. At that point once you've leaned out you can go into a slight calorie surplus and add more muscle while watching the fat gain. Keep measurements at your navel and when that number grows by 1" to 1.5" diet back down and stay in that fat % range at all times then you're always in striking distance of your lean BF%

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Keep in mind OP most people (we're talking naturals here) aren't going to be lean and muscular at 6'2" and 196 lbs. If you want to maintain your weight then thats fine, but don't expect to maintain that weight AND be very lean.

You're probably around 20% bodyfat now, you don't look bad at all and have a decent base of muscle. If you want to tighten up then as suggested above you just need to eat in a small deficit and continue training. If you do it slowly enough you could see some significant changes just dropping 15 lbs. There is an optical illusion that takes place the leaner and more defined you get, you'll actually end up looking bigger (at least without a shirt on) at a lower bodyweight.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Originally Posted by xsquid99 View Post
    Keep in mind OP most people (we're talking naturals here) aren't going to be lean and muscular at 6'2" and 196 lbs. If you want to maintain your weight then thats fine, but don't expect to maintain that weight AND be very lean.

You're probably around 20% bodyfat now, you don't look bad at all and have a decent base of muscle. If you want to tighten up then as suggested above you just need to eat in a small deficit and continue training. If you do it slowly enough you could see some significant changes just dropping 15 lbs. There is an optical illusion that takes place the leaner and more defined you get, you'll actually end up looking bigger (at least without a shirt on) at a lower bodyweight.
    makes sense! I think I’d rather maintain and accept the layer of fat , I don’t think I’d want to lose 15lbs haha

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    makes sense! I think I’d rather maintain and accept the layer of fat , I don’t think I’d want to lose 15lbs haha
    Nothing wrong with that, whatever works for you personally is always the right answer.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.