ARod310 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thumbs up Start Of My Journey

Hey all,

I’m a 6’ tall 38 y/o male. I’ve spent the last 20 years of my life sitting in front of a computer for both work and play. Drinking 3-4 days a week, eating poorly, and exercising little. Fast forward to October 2020 and I was at my heaviest weight of 255 lbs and a big ass beer belly. I decided to get my ass into shape. Figured I’d share my progress here and would like to get suggestions for improvement. My goal is to keep losing weight until I can see an ab for the first time in my life, then I’ll consider bulking.

I’ve been eating on a calorie deficit (avg 1639 cal/day), low carbs, and intermittent fasting (eating 12-8pm only). As of now I weigh 226 (down 29 lbs) but unfortunately I didn’t start tracking my nutrition until 4 weeks ago when I weighed 232.

The advanced measurements (Body & Muscle %, etc) are from a home Omron scale. Not exactly sure how accurate it is, but its at least a reference point. I think I’ve had some inconsistencies with it due to irregular water consumption, which I will adjust.

In week 3 I started taking Orange Triad (only supplement I’ve taken) and started drinking a lot more water. This week I plan to start taking creatine.

Strength training days I mainly do kettlebell squats, swings, rows, and push-ups. Cardio days has just been about 50 minutes on an exercise bike.

Please check out my attached log and let me know if you have any suggestions. Few of my own questions:

Is my calorie intake okay or am I going too low?
    Okay to keep with the low cab or should I balance macros more?
    Okay to keep with the intermittent fasting or should I eat throughout the day?
    Any other supplements to recommend besides creatine?

Thanks for the input, much appreciated!
    Attached Images

bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Welcome! Nice progress so far.

Initially, I'll say that 1600 calories is pretty low for someone at your height and weight. You should be melting fat off at that point, so there may be an issue with your tracking. Also, if intermittent fasting works for you, then great--but keep in mind that there aren't any actual inherent benefits to it. It's by no means a bad thing, just be careful not to fall for the fad diet "turn your body into a fat-burning MACHINE" stuff early on. It's a means to control calorie intake; no more, no less.

Definitely a fan of creatine. It'll probably cause water retention, so don't be surprised or alarmed if you seem to gain a few pounds out of nowhere.

There are some good novice programs in the Stickies that could be helpful, there's a surprising amount of stuff you can do with limited equipment.

For the questions (purely my opinion, others might have different input):
    1. I think that 1600 is too low, but given your weight loss pattern you're probably eating more than that--which isn't a bad thing necessarily, since your weight loss is at a healthy, normal pace. But it could be worth it to look at what might be going on that's affecting your tracking.
    2. Low carb is fine, but that does seem VERY low carb. Could very easily be affecting your performance. Personally, I'd cut back on your fats (shoot for ~0.4-0.6g fat per pound of bodyweight) and replace those calories with carbs. Could be helpful to bump up your protein a bit, but again neither change is, like, necessary.
    3. I'd eat throughout the day, but that's just because I don't like being hungry in the mornings. Up to you--might mess around with eating at different times and see what feels better.
    4. Creatine's the only one that I'd say is absolutely worth it all the time. I also take D3 and fish oil.
    BP: 275
    SQ: 405
    DL: 500
    Bodyweight 180

ARod310 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks!

Yea I agree, I would expect more weight loss at my tracked calorie amounts. I'm going to reevaluate and make sure I'm being precise. I also started drinking way more water in weeks 3 and 4 and I weigh myself and the end of the day. So I suspect I lost more fat than my weigh-ins show since I have more water weight. I'm going to start weighing myself in the mornings to be more consistent.

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Concur with what Blink said above, at ~1600 calories you would (1) be losing weight at a much faster clip and (2) you would probably feel absolutely drained/dead all the time. Comparisons aren't always equal person-to-person but I'm a 6'5", 202 lb guy and I can comfortably cut on about 2500 calories a day losing about 1.5-2.0 lbs per week.

I would also read the first post in this thread, and ensure you're hitting your minimums of 0.7g of protein and 0.4g of fats per lb of bodyweight daily (or target BW if you prefer):

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=173439001
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ARod310 View Post
    Thanks!

Yea I agree, I would expect more weight loss at my tracked calorie amounts. I'm going to reevaluate and make sure I'm being precise. I also started drinking way more water in weeks 3 and 4 and I weigh myself and the end of the day. So I suspect I lost more fat than my weigh-ins show since I have more water weight. I'm going to start weighing myself in the mornings to be more consistent.
    Yeah, I would definitely do weigh-ins in the morning. Wake up, take a piss, get on the scale. No water or anything beforehand--if you're weighing at the end of the day, you could actually be throwing off your weight logs considerably.

For example, my dinner last night was a pound of sweet potato, 5 ounces of chicken breast, and a salad with fat-free dressing. Low calorie, but that's a lot of weight if I'd hopped on the scale right after. Add in the gallon of water I drink throughout the day, plus my other high-volume meals, and you're looking at quite a few pounds gained. Morning weigh-ins will be more accurate and keep conditions more consistent
    BP: 275
    SQ: 405
    DL: 500
    Bodyweight 180