bokeron11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Just turned 39/OMAD/can’t lose fat, nor build muscle

Hello everyone,

As the subject reads I just turned 39. I work out four days a week, M-Th. basically I fast all day long and hit the gym at the peak of my fasting after having not consumed a single for the last 20h. After my work out I have a protein power with good quality frozen fruits(kiwi, mango, blueberries, pineapple and and a spoon of organic peanut butter.

After I take a shower and have dinner. I hit my macros pretty well; for fat an avocado, for carbs brown rice or quinoa and for protein really good quality foods such as organic chicken, filet mignon, wild caught seabass. Stuff like that.

On Friday night and Saturday throughout the day I cheat but with quality food; organic pizza, grass bed bison burguer, home made cheesecake, stuff like that. I don’t do any fast processed food.

However I though I would get leaner and build muscle but I’m not achieving either.

What do you guys think I’m doing wrong.

Thanks a lot

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    OMAD, cheating, poor tracking and possibly your workout program too.

You’re focused too much on the “quality” of your food rather than the nutrients/cals.

bokeron11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    OMAD, cheating, poor tracking and possibly your workout program too.

You’re focused too much on the “quality” of your food rather than the nutrients/cals.
    A2F,

Thanks for your response.

I’m definitely on a calorie deficit at least five days a week. The food I eat are full of nutrients. I forgot to mention that I eat beans most days with dinner; I usually have lentils and some days I do chickpeas.

I think my work out routine is pretty solid. I have been doing one muscle group a day but recently I switched to pull/push. Additionally when I’m done lifting I do yoga for about 15min. I don’t believe I cardio so I don’t do any. Every now then I do intervals on the treadmill but that’s about it.

Advices are more than welcome 🙏

taking March-No-Post pilz weiss1967's Avatar
    weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    bokeron, you definitely need to try tracking calories. The fact that you fast all day doesn't mean you don't overeat "quality food" at the end of the day. It is that easy. You can also way overcheat on your cheat days with "quality" and "natural" organic pizza. So much that no amount of starving weekdays will help.

Also, for muscle building you need calorific surplus, or at least being close to maintenance calories. Debatable topic of course, but lets say it is easier to built muscle if you eat more. And yet, you are trying to do both, lean out and build muscle, at the same time. Lets stick to leaning out maybe? And this is when it boils down to calories, no ifs or buts but calorific deficit. Like air2fakie mentioned, and you brushed off, so I though to mention again.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You asked what you're doing wrong and for advice, so I'll try another time in case it helps.

Originally Posted by bokeron11 View Post
    I’m definitely on a calorie deficit at least five days a week.
    By definition if you're not losing weight, you're not.

The food I eat are full of nutrients. I forgot to mention that I eat beans most days with dinner; I usually have lentils and some days I do chickpeas.
    If what you're doing isn't working, track everything instead of making general statements about a definite calorie deficit, quality food and full of nutrients. See stickies in the Nutrition forum.

I think my work out routine is pretty solid. I have been doing one muscle group a day but recently I switched to pull/push. Additionally when I’m done lifting I do yoga for about 15min. I don’t believe I cardio so I don’t do any. Every now then I do intervals on the treadmill but that’s about it.
    Can't advise about your "solid" workout routine since you gave no info, but based on your approach to nutrition/cals I'd imagine it could use improvement. See the stickies in the Workout forum for more info.

Formerly grouchyjarhead GrouchyUSMC's Avatar
    GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    To lose a pound a week you need roughly a 3500 calorie deficit over that week. If you're not losing any weight, you're not eating in a deficit. Try sticking with one meal a day on Saturdays as well.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I was going to type out a response but OP is saying so many of the wrong things that it's hard to imagine he's doing anything right except by accident.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    I was going to type out a response but OP is saying so many of the wrong things that it's hard to imagine he's doing anything right except by accident.
    Was going to say the exact same thing.

OP has watched far too much Dr. Oz

I don't even know where to begin....
    2017 OCB Men's Physique Open 4th place
    17 MP Novice 4th
    18 MP Novice 5th
    18 MP 40+ 3rd
    18 MP Open 5'10" & under 1st
    18 MP 40+ 1st & Overall..Pro Card Won
    19 Classic Phys Open 3rd
    19 CP 40+ 3rd
    19 BB open 3rd
    19 BB 40+ 1st..2nd Pro Card
    19 BB 40+1st..50+1st...3rd Pro Card
    21 BB 40+1st..50+1st..Open 5th..4th Card

HomeGym70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HomeGym70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HomeGym70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HomeGym70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HomeGym70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HomeGym70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HomeGym70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HomeGym70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HomeGym70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HomeGym70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HomeGym70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    We probably need more info from you. Like height, weight, how long you’ve been working out, what your routine is, and how much you’re lifting.

In general, trying to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time can be frustrating. You have to consistently be in a caloric deficit to lose fat but have to consistently be in a caloric surplus to pack on any substantial muscle. Depending on your goals it can be more rewarding/get quicker results if you just focus on one or the other.

And you really need to track your calories. It’s the only way to really know what you’re burning on a daily basis and then be able to adjust your intake to help you achieve your goals.

Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Your weekends are clearly defeating any weekly deficit you’re creating during the week if there’s a deficit there at all.

You may not be eating a “lot” of food; however, I would wager you’re subconsciously compensating for less food by moving less.

I also just think you’re eating more than you think.

But having 1 avocado for fat and then maybe a few trace fats from protein is not much fat at all.

Your whole methodology is off.

If you’re trying to lose fat, Goodluck building a ton of muscle.

If you’re trying to build muscle you MUST gain fat.

Recomps take forever and require meticulous tracking if your hope is to build muscle and lose fat at the same time.

Majurbludd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Majurbludd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Majurbludd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Majurbludd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Majurbludd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Majurbludd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Majurbludd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Majurbludd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Majurbludd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Majurbludd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Majurbludd has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You sound like someone who just started working out. Eat 3 normal meals a day high it protein. When you get better at the fitness game you can move on to 5 or 7 meals or whatever fad diet is cool nowadays.

There is no way you are hitting your real macros with you rice and fish dinner and 1 protein drink. For now, **** macros. Keep **** simple. Lift upper body, lower body, upper body, lower body. mon, tues, wendes, thursday. 3 good exercises per bodypart, reps 8-10. Every set to failure. Failure=impossible to do 1 more rep with the 8-10 reps. train back/chest/bis mon, quads/calves tues, shoulders/tris wendes, back/chest/bis or another leg day thursday.

Your old, if it hurts dont do that exercise.

Jog 3 times a week for 20 mins. If your still fat a month later. bump it up to 30 mins. Try to mentally track protein intake a day. Do 1 gram per pound of current bodyweight.

Ive trained for fighting, Ive trained for military, Ive trained for powerlifting, ive trained for bodybuilding. There is all sorts of plans and diets that work. Ive told you general guidance that will work. Listen to me or dont; I dont honestly care.
    **New Jersey Crew 732**

Registered User Vanilla-Gorilla's Avatar
    Vanilla-Gorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vanilla-Gorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vanilla-Gorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vanilla-Gorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vanilla-Gorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vanilla-Gorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vanilla-Gorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vanilla-Gorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vanilla-Gorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vanilla-Gorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vanilla-Gorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Hello everyone,

As the subject reads I just turned 39. I work out four days a week, M-Th. basically I fast all day long and hit the gym at the peak of my fasting after having not consumed a single for the last 20h. After my work out I have a protein power with good quality frozen fruits(kiwi, mango, blueberries, pineapple and and a spoon of organic peanut butter.

After I take a shower and have dinner. I hit my macros pretty well; for fat an avocado, for carbs brown rice or quinoa and for protein really good quality foods such as organic chicken, filet mignon, wild caught seabass. Stuff like that.

On Friday night and Saturday throughout the day I cheat but with quality food; organic pizza, grass bed bison burguer, home made cheesecake, stuff like that. I don’t do any fast processed food.

However I though I would get leaner and build muscle but I’m not achieving either.

What do you guys think I’m doing wrong.

Thanks a lot
    Also, with no gains positively in weight loss and or muscle gain...

What does your blood-work look like?

I might go see an endo to start looking at my levels to make sure I'm able to build and lose.

I know I did and was shocked when the Doc said I was a level of 139...he was amazed I was able to get out of bed, let alone workout then.
    Pssst, Hey Buddy, your back is not that big, and your arms don't normally hang that way.