Mattfers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mattfers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mattfers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mattfers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mattfers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mattfers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mattfers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mattfers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mattfers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mattfers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mattfers will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Keep on breaking PRs?

Hi guys I've kept on breaking rep PRs each and every workout for the last few months(5-10+ reps sets and even 15-20 reps sets) on big exercises which I perform in a way that redirects tension on the desired tissue (I.E. I don't bench press with the exact form that allows me to move the most weight but with the form that hits my chest hard, same goes for rows, pulls, squats, presses etc. And obviously Isos exercises)

Everything looks great so far... But
    My goal is hypertrophy and the volume I am using is very low (each muscle gets 2-3 hard sets every 5th day) and I wonder if the routine itself is then good for hypertrophy (while many argue that progressing overload is the be all end all, actually as far as I known, research states that volume is the key driver of hypertrophy)

Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you want advice on your program then you should post the program, exercises, sets,reps , progression model. Including how your body weight has changed the last few months will help too.
    Bench: 365
    Squat: 495
    Deadlift: 535

Refrigerator Lover

TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    All the research on volume works with progressive tension overload already built in. Adding weight to the bar in a moderate rep range with sufficient volume overtime is the main driver.
    Last edited by TAWS6; 02-24-2021 at 10:24 AM. Reason: spelling

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Doing the right amount of hard ish work over time is all that matters really. Progressive overload is just a side effect.
    As you get bigger you get stronger, as you get stronger the old weight is no longer challenging.
    The idea that you have to add lbs weekly or even monthly for hypertrophy hasn't ever had any concrete support that I know of.
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

Mattfers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mattfers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mattfers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mattfers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mattfers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mattfers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mattfers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mattfers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mattfers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mattfers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mattfers will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Ghawk21 View Post
    If you want advice on your program then you should post the program, exercises, sets,reps , progression model. Including how your body weight has changed the last few months will help too.
    I train 3xweek M,W,F and alternate between A and B workout

Day A
    Bench press 3x5+
    Bent over row 3x5+
    Back Squat 3x5+
    Alternate curl 50% set
    Lying extension 50% set
    Weighted crunch 2x20

Day B
    Seated press 3x5+
    Chinup 3x5+
    Stiff leg trap bar DL: 3x5+
    Lateral raise 50% sets
    Haney Shrugs 50% sets
    Calf raise 2x20

- 3x5+ means: two sets of 5, the third one is an AMRAP. If I get (5-10) reps I add 2.5 lbs to that exercise the next workout if it is an upper body exercise, and 5 lbs to squats and pulls.

If I get 11+ reps I double that amount.

If I stall on 2 consecutive workouts (not happened yet) I deload 10% weight and climb back up

-50% sets is just: first set to failure (generally 12-17 reps), rest 60 seconds, go to failure again. Add the minimum amount of weight possible once I hit 20 total reps over the 2 sets.

Bodyweight has not changed significantly (-5 lbs on average) over last 8-12 weeks (didn't track the first month very accurately) BUT I came after a looooong 1 year off the gym and I'm defo recomping (visual assessment with photos in similar conditions and tape measures) , so at the moment that's ok to me, that's what I was planning since I put on quite some fat during last year. But as soon as I lose a bit more fat, I'll go over a slow bulk (like +0.5-1lbs/week on average)
    Last edited by Mattfers; 02-24-2021 at 10:32 AM.

Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Mattfers View Post
    I train 3xweek M,W,F and alternate between A and B workout

Day A
    Bench press 3x5+
    Bent over row 3x5+
    Back Squat 3x5+
    Alternate curl 50% set
    Lying extension 50% set
    Weighted crunch 2x20

Day B
    Seated press 3x5+
    Chinup 3x5+
    Stiff leg trap bar DL: 3x5+
    Lateral raise 50% sets
    Haney Shrugs 50% sets
    Calf raise 2x20

- 3x5+ means: two sets of 5, the third one is an AMRAP. If I get (5-10) reps I add 2.5 lbs to that exercise the next workout if it is an upper body exercise, and 5 lbs to squats and pulls.

If I get 11+ reps I double that amount.

If I stall on 2 consecutive workouts (not happened yet) I deload 10% weight and climb back up

-50% sets is just: first set to failure (generally 12-17 reps), rest 60 seconds, go to failure again. Add the minimum amount of weight possible once I hit 20 total reps over the 2 sets.

Bodyweight has not changed significantly (-5 lbs on average) over last 8-12 weeks (didn't track the first month very accurately) BUT I came after a looooong 1 year off the gym and I'm defo recomping (visual assessment with photos in similar conditions and tape measures) , so at the moment that's ok to me, that's what I was planning since I put on quite some fat during last year. But as soon as I lose a bit more fat, I'll go over a slow bulk (like +0.5-1lbs/week on average)
    I would stick with it if you're hitting PRs and dropping weight, that's about best case scenario. You'll see better growth when you switch over to bulking.
    Bench: 365
    Squat: 495
    Deadlift: 535

Refrigerator Lover

Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post
    Doing the right amount of hard ish work over time is all that matters really. Progressive overload is just a side effect.
    As you get bigger you get stronger, as you get stronger the old weight is no longer challenging.
    The idea that you have to add lbs weekly or even monthly for hypertrophy hasn't ever had any concrete support that I know of.
    I'm simply getting stronger workout-by-workout. Progressive overload model accommodates that

Originally Posted by TAWS6 View Post
    All the research on volume works with progressive tension overload already built in. Adding weight to the bar in a moderate rep range with sufficient volume overtime is the main driver.
    Thanks

Animal2692 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Animal2692 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Animal2692 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Animal2692 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Animal2692 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Animal2692 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Animal2692 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Animal2692 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Animal2692 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Animal2692 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Animal2692 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I'd say that actually each muscle is getting 2-3 hard sets ~every other day instead of every 5th day as far as your pressing and pulling movements are concerned.

Volume is the key driver of hypertrophy only if it's quality volume that's ensuring progressive overload over time. It's also very individualistic and depends on how close you take sets to failure.
    "The first human who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization." -Sigmund Freud
    "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -Leonardo da Vinci

TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you guys have a study where they don't add weight at some point please send it to me.

Originally Posted by Animal2692 View Post
    I'd say that actually each muscle is getting 2-3 hard sets ~every other day instead of every 5th day as far as your pressing and pulling movements are concerned.

Volume is the key driver of hypertrophy only if it's quality volume that's ensuring progressive overload over time. It's also very individualistic and depends on how close you take sets to failure.
    I mean, if you count one set as a "hard set" for a muscle even though it's not the prime mover then yes (let's say triceps/chest on seated press vs shoulders)

sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    well, according to your OP it says you were breaking PRs for months

surely having run your own routine for a couple months you would know whether you have built some actual muscle?
    positivity brah crew
    powerlifting crew
    dont take my posts too srs crew srs
    JFL @ everything crew
    lol @ tradies srs crew
    indian crew
    living in clown world crew so fuk it crew