Thread: STUBBORN biceps

SouthpawMF is on a distinguished road. (+10)

STUBBORN biceps

alright, so I got stubborn ass biceps. I’ve been lifting for a couple years, and over the years I’ve seen significant gains in all of my muscles except for my biceps. sure they’ve grown a little, but definitely not much. I know genetics probably play into this at least a little because I have average bicep insertions at best (can fit 2-3 fingers between the tendon), but I don’t believe that’s everything. what I notice is that when I workout biceps, I start off feeling them work and feeling the burn, but as I go and as they tire out through several sets, I lose almost all of my mind muscle connection and I think that might be the cause of it. they’re also very very rarely ever sore at all. ive tried many different ways of hitting them by changing frequency, intensity, volume, you name it, and so far nothing has worked.

what im basically asking is, have any of you guys had this problem and if you solved it, how did you go about doing that? thanks

EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by SouthpawMF View Post
    alright, so I got stubborn ass biceps. I’ve been lifting for a couple years, and over the years I’ve seen significant gains in all of my muscles except for my biceps. sure they’ve grown a little, but definitely not much. I know genetics probably play into this at least a little because I have average bicep insertions at best (can fit 2-3 fingers between the tendon), but I don’t believe that’s everything. what I notice is that when I workout biceps, I start off feeling them work and feeling the burn, but as I go and as they tire out through several sets, I lose almost all of my mind muscle connection and I think that might be the cause of it. they’re also very very rarely ever sore at all. ive tried many different ways of hitting them by changing frequency, intensity, volume, you name it, and so far nothing has worked.

what im basically asking is, have any of you guys had this problem and if you solved it, how did you go about doing that? thanks
    What do your compound pulls look like? It's going to be hard to develop good biceps if you're not rowing and doing pullups.

As long as you're working hard and not omitting anything basic and important in your training, nutrition and recovery, I wouldn't be too concerned. Imposing biceps are classic, but if you've got good all-around muscular development otherwise, as you say, then lacking big biceps is still far better than the reverse.
    Bench: 315
    Squat: 335
    Deadlift: 475

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    What is your height and weight?

SouthpawMF is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by CommitmentRulz View Post
    What is your height and weight?
    5’10” 170lbs

TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Aside from chinups and bent underhand rows, all I ever did for biceps was zottman curls. Hammer curls I did for forearms, but there's some crossover from those too. If I do standing zottmans, i'll do seated hammers or vice versa. I like to keep it simple - just a compound and an isolation for each body part I train, supersetted once or twice to failure. Seems like the body definitely responds to that. I really like those isolations cause they give you a nice coverage of key areas, never used anything but. Cool thing is you can use them on the other variations like spiders, inclines, preachers, what have you.
    Back to basics full body routine: https://pastebin.com/5BgKgrMv

Training journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178059671&p=1598034261#post1598034261

weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    hey leftie, biceps are notorious for being hard to train and progress. They probably grow at same rate but the most bitched at anyway. It is relatively small muscle, and, say 10% gain in mass, which is a few months work BTW, will be almost impossible to see. So, don't skip but do not overtrain them either.

jaxqen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaxqen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaxqen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaxqen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaxqen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaxqen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaxqen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaxqen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaxqen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaxqen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaxqen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Hammer curls (you can alternate arms, it allows you to move more weight)
    Preacher curls (single arm is better, imo - machine or dumbell, whatever you feel it's better for you)
    Incline curls at the end
    Dropsets can also help

You hit them from different angles. 1 or 2 times a week, depends on your volume and recovery.

This guy used to give good advices here (his volume is his volume, you can always adapt to)
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...4700971&page=1

Also, this guy has good advices
    https://youtu.be/8pZ2lS__qQQ

Also, SST for biceps can also help
    https://youtu.be/N8pbxfW8eiI

Originally Posted by EliKoehn View Post
    What do your compound pulls look like? It's going to be hard to develop good biceps if you're not rowing and doing pullups.
    It's going to be hard to develop good biceps if he doesn't curl.
    Vertical and horizontal pull compounds may be good for beginners, but you don't get good bis from those. Especially since you are supposed to not involve the bis as much as you can and pull with your elbows.
    "Reminds me of the good ol' days back in 03-04 when ripptoes/5 by 5/hit/doggcrap reigned supreme and you did not need direct arm work for big biceps. Rows and chins were it. "Ever see a guy rowing 300+lbs with chicken arms?". Ah yes those were the days. God bless amusclehead and his twisted one dimensional views along with the rest of the former flock."

EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by jaxqen View Post
    It's going to be hard to develop good biceps if he doesn't curl.
    Vertical and horizontal pull compounds may be good for beginners, but you don't get good bis from those. Especially since you are supposed to not involve the bis as much as you can and pull with your elbows.
    Ironic sig
    Bench: 315
    Squat: 335
    Deadlift: 475

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"