Registered User serviljohnpadiz's Avatar
    serviljohnpadiz is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Can I diet like this without losing muscle?

Hi my weight is 90kg (198 lbs), I’m planning to cut with only 90g of protein because I weigh 90kg. I only intend to drink 4 scoops of protein shakes a day and that is 400 calories a day. I hit enough protein for a day but 400 calories is a bit too low, will I lose muscle in the long run because I only consume 400 calories a day? Sorry this question might be really stupid

Thank you in advance

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Yes, you'll probably lose muscle. I wouldn't recommend a deficit of more than 1000 calories a day.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Yes, you'll probably lose muscle. I wouldn't recommend a deficit of more than 1000 calories a day.
    You mean for me to consume -1000 calories deficit a day?? (Maintenance calories - 1000 calories)

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by serviljohnpadiz View Post
    You mean for me to consume -1000 calories deficit a day?? (Maintenance calories - 1000 calories)
    Yes

And you need to meet not just protein needs but minimums for dietary fat, vitamins, minerals etc. Using myfitnesspal might help with working these numbers out

Registered User AlphaMentality4's Avatar
    AlphaMentality4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlphaMentality4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlphaMentality4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlphaMentality4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlphaMentality4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlphaMentality4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlphaMentality4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlphaMentality4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlphaMentality4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlphaMentality4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlphaMentality4 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Maybe i misunderstood but if you said “will I lose muscle if I only eat a total of 400 calories a day”
    If that’s what you said then yeah you will definitely lose muscle, if you don’t mind me asking why are you wanting to eat only 400 calories a day?

Originally Posted by AlphaMentality4 View Post
    Maybe i misunderstood but if you said “will I lose muscle if I only eat a total of 400 calories a day”
    If that’s what you said then yeah you will definitely lose muscle, if you don’t mind me asking why are you wanting to eat only 400 calories a day?
    I just wanna lose weight fast but I got no knowledge in dieting or bodybuilding whatsoever so I thought I keep my muscle as long as I hit 90kg = 90g of protein (I know it’s really stupid of me lol)

Registered User AlphaMentality4's Avatar
    AlphaMentality4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlphaMentality4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlphaMentality4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlphaMentality4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlphaMentality4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlphaMentality4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlphaMentality4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlphaMentality4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlphaMentality4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlphaMentality4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlphaMentality4 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I just wanna lose weight fast but I got no knowledge in dieting or bodybuilding whatsoever so I thought I keep my muscle as long as I hit 90kg = 90g of protein (I know it’s really stupid of me lol)
    In my opinion if I was you what I would do is figure out how many calories I roughly need to maintain my current body weight and slowly deduct a few hundred calories from there at a slow pace until you start seeing noticeable results. Keep protein high and eat quality carbohydrates around your workouts for energy and recovery purposes and of course don’t forget your healthy fats. Also make sure your trying to maintain your lifts in the gym don’t start lifting light weights keep lifting heavy and maybe incorporate high intensity interval training into your routine such as sprints they’re great for fat loss. This is just my advice you don’t have to take it, good luck,

faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    rule number 1: never, and i mean never, say you want to lose weight (or gain muscle) fast

i'd understand eating something like 1500 calories even though it's very low too, but literally 400 calories and only from shakes? this is VERY extreme

LittleIronGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) LittleIronGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) LittleIronGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) LittleIronGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) LittleIronGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) LittleIronGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) LittleIronGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) LittleIronGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) LittleIronGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) LittleIronGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) LittleIronGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    No, it is inevitable that you will lose muscle on a very severe calorie deficit. Not just that, but it is detrimental to your health long term.

Also, up your protein to 0.7g per lb of bodyweight. That's roughly 140g. But it's not the only nutrient you need.

Aim for FAT loss, not WEIGHT loss. That means eating at a reasonable calorie deficit.

Originally Posted by faithbrah View Post
    rule number 1: never, and i mean never, say you want to lose weight (or gain muscle) fast

i'd understand eating something like 1500 calories even though it's very low too, but literally 400 calories and only from shakes? this is VERY extreme
    Ok, yes I figured already it’s very stupid , I’ve been noting down all what you guys are saying / replies on my thread thanks a lot

Originally Posted by LittleIronGirl View Post
    No, it is inevitable that you will lose muscle on a very severe calorie deficit. Not just that, but it is detrimental to your health long term.

Also, up your protein to 0.7g per lb of bodyweight. That's roughly 140g. But it's not the only nutrient you need.

Aim for FAT loss, not WEIGHT loss. That means eating at a reasonable calorie deficit.
    Ok. I’ve learned something new so I’d follow that protein intak e

Originally Posted by AlphaMentality4 View Post
    In my opinion if I was you what I would do is figure out how many calories I roughly need to maintain my current body weight and slowly deduct a few hundred calories from there at a slow pace until you start seeing noticeable results. Keep protein high and eat quality carbohydrates around your workouts for energy and recovery purposes and of course don’t forget your healthy fats. Also make sure your trying to maintain your lifts in the gym don’t start lifting light weights keep lifting heavy and maybe incorporate high intensity interval training into your routine such as sprints they’re great for fat loss. This is just my advice you don’t have to take it, good luck,
    I’ve been taking all advice including yo u thank alot

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I’ve been taking all advice including yo u thank alot
    The stickies explain the answers to all your questions. Look at the one about calculating calories.