kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Flat Bench (w/ or w/o slight incline)

Hello,

I've heard some people mention benching with a slight incline and I'm wondering about people's knowledge and/or experience with this because I am considering it. I'm going to be following a program that includes only flat bench barbell pressing in terms of chest exercises (also overhead press, but I'm unsure if this really does anything for the upper chest).

In the past I have noticed that the upper and inner portions of my chest have been harder to fill out and I'm hoping to avoid this problem, thinking maybe a slight incline might help.

I've been doing both 45 degree incline pressing as well as flat bench pressing (with dumbbells) and I've liked the way my chest has begun filling out evenly, although I'm unable to pinpoint the causes of this.

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Flat bench is flat
    Slight incline is slight incline.
    They are separate lifts and should really be logged as such. Nothing to say you can't do low incline as your main press tho.

That out of the way. I really like it, it takes out some of the lat stretch you get and increases the rom a little. I ran it solely during my rehab after I tore my upper lat and teres, it stopped the deep stretch and severe pain of flat.

I do mine at 6-7' (head of bench on a pair of bumpers)
    I also do my decline the same heigh on the very rare occasion I'll do it.

Ohp certainly hits your upper chest. Anyone saying it doesn't can't press properly or has no tspine mobility to get Into extention.

My opinion. Fixed angle Commercial incline and decline Benches suck ass
    FMH crew - Couch.
    Washed up meathead

air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by kharneth View Post
    I've been doing both 45 degree incline pressing as well as flat bench pressing (with dumbbells) and I've liked the way my chest has begun filling out evenly, although I'm unable to pinpoint the causes of this.
    SL doesn't have 45 degree incline pressing.

TheResistance has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheResistance has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheResistance has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheResistance has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheResistance has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheResistance has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheResistance has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheResistance has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheResistance has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheResistance has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheResistance has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I do a slight incline with dumbbells.

It's easy to get the dumbbells up and the pressing is easy on the Shoulders.

kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    MyEgoProblem, I'd definitely log it as something identifiable, probably by including the incline degree (~10-15). I guess I'll give it a go and see what happens. I've never tried it and I can always revert back to flat. My bench has weird increments, like it doesn't have a 45 degree increment but instead it has like 41 or 43 degrees and then like 48 degrees, and it also doesn't go up to 90 degrees. But whatever, it's good enough.

I have heard that OHP hits the upper chest, it just never felt like something that I've noticed myself either in the muscle during the lift or watching my muscles grow over time. It's possible I haven't been doing them correctly. I'm hoping to get even better at my form this time around.

air2fakie, I haven't been doing SL. I've been doing my own dumbbell exercises at the gym. My squat rack is en route, though, and I'll be starting SL on Monday. I think I'll be doing it with a slight incline on the bench and seeing what that does.

The Resistance, thanks did you replace your flat bench with a slight incline? I'm assuming you don't do both flat and a slight incline.

TheResistance has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheResistance has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheResistance has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheResistance has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheResistance has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheResistance has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheResistance has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheResistance has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheResistance has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheResistance has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheResistance has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    MyEgoProblem, I'd definitely log it as something identifiable, probably by including the incline degree (~10-15). I guess I'll give it a go and see what happens. I've never tried it and I can always revert back to flat. My bench has weird increments, like it doesn't have a 45 degree increment but instead it has like 41 or 43 degrees and then like 48 degrees, and it also doesn't go up to 90 degrees. But whatever, it's good enough.

I have heard that OHP hits the upper chest, it just never felt like something that I've noticed myself either in the muscle during the lift or watching my muscles grow over time. It's possible I haven't been doing them correctly. I'm hoping to get even better at my form this time around.

air2fakie, I haven't been doing SL. I've been doing my own dumbbell exercises at the gym. My squat rack is en route, though, and I'll be starting SL on Monday. I think I'll be doing it with a slight incline on the bench and seeing what that does.

The Resistance, thanks did you replace your flat bench with a slight incline? I'm assuming you don't do both flat and a slight incline.
    Yes, no more flat.

I do Hammer Strength Decline and weighted dips too. Not all on the same day.

air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Sounds fine, just don't jump back and forth constantly - stick with it for a while even if you're going to revert back.

jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I very much prefer a low incline for all my main pressings. With the exception of a converging machine press (and CG for triceps) i haven't used a flat press in well over 3 years

Ironface is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ironface is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ironface is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ironface is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ironface is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ironface is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ironface is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ironface is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ironface is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ironface is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ironface is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Yes OHP hits upper chest.

That said, either flat or incline is fine for chest. Flat is going to hit more sternal fibers, incline is going to hit more clavicular and delt fibers

The higher the incline the more delt you work, so if you want to work chest you’d want no more than a 15-30 degree incline. Most commercial gym incline benches are set at 45 degrees which is going to work more delt
    *Deadlifts pants after taking a chit crew*
    *Typos can go fucl themselves crew*
    *Nice miscer crew*
    *Loves reps, hates negs crew*
    *Faps before workout crew*
    *12+ hours of sleep crew*
    *Faps during workout crew*
    *Hates onions crew*
    *Faps after workout crew*
    *No fap crew*

Originally Posted by Ironface View Post
    Yes OHP hits upper chest.

That said, either flat or incline is fine for chest. Flat is going to hit more sternal fibers, incline is going to hit more clavicular and delt fibers

The higher the incline the more delt you work, so if you want to work chest you’d want no more than a 15-30 degree incline. Most commercial gym incline benches are set at 45 degrees which is going to work more delt
    Thank you for that. I lift from home and the lowest incline my bench offers is 19 degrees so I'm thinking I'll try that on Friday and if it feels fine I'll stick with that for a 8-12 weeks and see what happens.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    A favorite of mine with dumbbells.
    It shifts leverage slightly to upper chest and shoulders.
    You should explore different angles and see feels best for you on what your trying to build or accomplish.
    There is no "must do"angle.

EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by MyEgoProblem View Post
    My opinion. Fixed angle Commercial incline and decline Benches suck ass
    Woah dude, what's wrong with them? Lol

A good ol' 45 degree press with dumbbells is classic. (But you might just mean the equipment since you can't adjust them.)
    Bench: 315
    Squat: 335
    Deadlift: 475

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"