djhumvee is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Reoccurring headache from lifting?

Didn't know where else to post.. Anyways I have been currently lifting since September 2020, never got headaches before and in general its rare that I have a headache.. So a few nights ago I was doing bench presses and I got a headache on maybe the second set, weird spot where I usually don't get headaches, kind of on top toward the rear of my head.. I had to stop, I took some alieve which is what I typically ill take on the rare occurrence I get headache and tried to continue working out a couple hours later and the headache immediately came back, came back mildly on the first set and more severe on the second set and then I stopped. The next night I tried again and I felt it creep up after the first set so I quit for the night. Tonight, the third night, I attempted to workout again and on the second set it came back, same exact spot.. I'm well hydrated so I know it isn't that.. I guess my question is that has anyone else ever experienced this before? I know getting a headache is possible from physical exertion but what worries me is it is continuing to come back in the same location and comes rather quickly. Could I have ruptured a blood vessel and it just needs time to heal? I'm not like a power lifter or anything but I am exerting as much force as I can by the end of every set. I'm a 39 year old male, 190lbs 6' tall probably about 16-18% fat, healthy as far as I know, drink plenty of fluids and eat mostly clean.

tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If you're concerned about rupturing a blood vessel or anything requiring a doctor's attention, please see a doc.
    Thats said, I had the same issue many years ago and a chiropractor suggested I put a rolled up towel under my neck when I'm lifting on a bench to support my neck (the strain on the neck muscles, even if unaware of it, can cause headaches). Problem was immediately solved. After a few weeks of doing that, I didn't need the towel anymore. Also, make sure you are using proper form with your shoulders back and down to take the strain off your neck and squarely on your chest. Good luck

xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Sounds like an abnormal strain.

Are you taking pre-workout?

Amateur boxer turned bodybuilder...

Hit me up on Sherdog.. TeTe

Road to 190@15% bf

June 2020 = 185 @20.5% bf
    June 2021 = 183 @18.2% bf

snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Sometimes it can be blood pressure. I don’t know if your intensity has changed or my maybe dehydration? When I started powerlifting for about 2 months I would get headaches from lifting and was just told they were deload headaches from pring/maxing out with weights. They were pretty bad and sometimes became migraines
    SuperHercules crew
    cancer survivor crew
    Dyslexic crew
    Friend of Mr.Wilson crew
    Ugly and old cell crew
    Cat crew
    Insomniac crew

Originally Posted by xTeTe View Post
    Sounds like an abnormal strain.

Are you taking pre-workout?
    Nope, no pre-workout, I have in the past I just don't like the way they can make me feel.

xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xTeTe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by djhumvee View Post
    Nope, no pre-workout, I have in the past I just don't like the way they can make me feel.
    That's good. I know it's given me headaches from time to time if I don't drink enough water before the gym.

Dehydration is always an issue regardless, as was mentioned.

Amateur boxer turned bodybuilder...

Hit me up on Sherdog.. TeTe

Road to 190@15% bf

June 2020 = 185 @20.5% bf
    June 2021 = 183 @18.2% bf

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Are you getting enough water?

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    Are you getting enough water?
    Yeah definitely, I drink a good amount of water

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    It's either the exertion headache (Grubman) or the muscle tension (tkdnj) or a doctor issue

Did you try the towel suggestion tkdnj gave? Did it help?

Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    Did you try the towel suggestion tkdnj gave? Did it help?
    No, I haven't even tried bench presses again, it happened the second day with lat pulldowns, and I still feel some pressure that comes and goes, nothing that is painful or anything but I just feel a little pressure randomly, so no sense in even trying to lift again until that's gone..

brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000)
    I've been getting headaches from neck problems recently, comes and goes. You should go get it checked out though if it continues.

x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Mask and restricted breathing or are you straining/pushing/grunting really intensely?
    There is an unspoken thing, we are iron brothers and sisters, we are to support each other and...It is our duty to support our brothers and sisters in the iron game!

Originally Posted by x-trainer ben View Post
    Mask and restricted breathing or are you straining/pushing/grunting really intensely?
    No mask.. Pushing intense yes, lifting until failure by the 8th-12th rep

x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    No mask.. Pushing intense yes, lifting until failure by the 8th-12th rep
    Failure, that sounds like a crazy high BP spike at rep 8 and then you prolong it until rep 12.
    Try a different styl and see if the head issue returns, focus on breathing and lower weight/ intensity.
    Compare the styles and your head.
    There is an unspoken thing, we are iron brothers and sisters, we are to support each other and...It is our duty to support our brothers and sisters in the iron game!

Originally Posted by x-trainer ben View Post
    Failure, that sounds like a crazy high BP spike at rep 8 and then you prolong it until rep 12.
    Try a different styl and see if the head issue returns, focus on breathing and lower weight/ intensity.
    Compare the styles and your head.
    When I say until failure I mean that I stop, I don't fail at 8 and then somehow manage to push out 4 more reps I'm not sure if that's what you were thinking I did or not? I lift a weight until I can't lift it anymore and I pick a weight that I know for sure I can lift 8 times but not more than 12. Once I can't follow through with the exercise I'm performing I stop and rest a minute or 2 and then perform the next set..

I haven't worked out in a couple weeks now but last night I woke up and had to pick up my kids that fell asleep on my bed and the headache returned, more like pressure not quite a headache, didn't really bother me much and went away quickly but this tells me it will just return next time I work out.. Came across some info that said these types of headaches can take up to 6 months to completely go away!

I haven't worked out in a couple weeks now but last night I woke up and had to pick up my kids that fell asleep on my bed and the headache returned, more like pressure not quite a headache, didn't really bother me much and went away quickly but this tells me it will just return next time I work out.. Came across some info that said these types of headaches can take up to 6 months to completely go away!
    Ok, any mention of the causes or suggestions like supplemental Magnesium?