JohnnyRiptide has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How to work towards doing a front squat?

Hi everyone

I have been on my weight loss journey for 7 months. So far 76 pounds lost! Originally was morbidly obese.

The question - I am having quite a bit of difficulty achieving the correct form for the front squat. I know for the front squat your back is supposed to be straight and not arched. Everytime I try to do the front squat my back rounds in order to stabalise the move. If I try to do the front squat I would most likely fall on the floor. Another issue I found is if I bend down to do the front squat without arching my back, I can only do it with my heels off of the floor. I know this is probably a common issue and I wondered what stretches/exercises I could do to build towards the front squat? I heard its a mobility issue with the ankle or hip flexors? Could my weight be affecting it? I am about 35 pounds away from a healthy weight.

One more question - is it normal that I have only progressed by 4KG on my 7 month cut? I am relatively new to lifting (although have my noob gains back when I lifted in my late teens) I am at around 1000 cal deficit and losing 2 pounds a week. I train with 12KG dumbells. I eat a decent pre-workout meal of carbs and protein. My protein intake is not 1.0 it is most likely 0.8. I think my fat intake is a little lower than my macro suggests too. I have taken monthly photos and haven't noticed any muscle gains but I do see a lot of fat loss. I just wondered if this progression is normal or is something going very wrong? I do weightlifting followed by a boxing or cardio session.

Thank you!
    Last edited by JohnnyRiptide; 02-19-2021 at 05:26 PM.

ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by JohnnyRiptide View Post
    Hi everyone

I have been on my weight loss journey for 7 months. So far 76 pounds lost! Originally was morbidly obese.

The question - I am having quite a bit of difficulty achieving the correct form for the front squat. I know for the front squat your back is supposed to be straight and not arched. Everytime I try to do the front squat my back rounds in order to stabalise the move. If I try to do the front squat I would most likely fall on the floor. Another issue I found is if I bend down to do the front squat without arching my back, I can only do it with my heels off of the floor. I know this is probably a common issue and I wondered what stretches/exercises I could do to build towards the front squat? I heard its a mobility issue with the ankle or hip flexors? Could my weight be affecting it? I am about 35 pounds away from a healthy weight.

One more question - is it normal that I have only progressed by 4KG on my 7 month cut? I am relatively new to lifting (although have my noob gains back when I lifted in my late teens) I am at around 1000 cal deficit and losing 2 pounds a week. I train with 12KG dumbells. I eat a decent pre-workout meal of carbs and protein. My protein intake is not 1.0 it is most likely 0.8. I think my fat intake is a little lower than my macro suggests too. I have taken monthly photos and haven't noticed any muscle gains but I do see a lot of fat loss. I just wondered if this progression is normal or is something going very wrong? I do weightlifting followed by a boxing or cardio session.

Thank you!
    Post a vid of your front squat. People will give advice.

You should have progressed more than 4 kg in 7 months. What's your complete program? That might be the main problem.
    Once upon a time (maxes 2020) ...
    Squat 185, Bench 137, DL 205, @ bw 88.5 age 43

Workout Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1630928323&viewfull=1#post1630928323

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    You may need to simply elevate your heels for the squats.

If 4 kg progress means lifting strength then that is fine as you are in a big deficit and have lost >70 pounds. You probably could make progress faster, but I wouldn't beat yourself up too much about it if you've at least been maintaining your strength while losing all the fat.
    My 100% free website: healthierwithscience.com
    My YouTube channel: youtube.com/@benjaminlevinsonmd17

Originally Posted by ECGordyn View Post
    Post a vid of your front squat. People will give advice.

You should have progressed more than 4 kg in 7 months. What's your complete program? That might be the main problem.
    Sorry not 4 KG it is 8 KG. I use dumbell weights only.

I do 3 reps of 10.

Upper Body

Dumbell curls, shoulder press, tricep extentions, dumbell row, lying flys, vertical raises/alternate then skull crushers with plank spiderman crunch at the end ( I do 7 sets of 15 or until failure on ab finisher). I then finish my weightlifting session with about 6 rounds of 3 minute boxing. My goal is also cardiovascular/boxing fitness.

Lower Body

Sumo Squat, Plank leg raises, Front squat (the failed attempt) calf raises, glute bridge, alternate lunges, boxer squat, then finish off with 30 minutes on the bike.

I alternate between Upper and Lower body with rest days inbetween and a HIIT cardio workout/with 30 minutes of boxing at the end. So 4 days a week and I spend around 1.5 hours in the garage doing it per day. I've been extremely consistent. I haven't missed one protein shake or even had a cheat meal once. The issue I have is I have to do my gym sessions because if I miss one I end up losing months of progress. I am doing advanced HIIT of high intensity/high impact for 30 minutes.

I would upload it but literally I cannot go down without my back rounding/arching. If I went down with a straight back Id just fall to the floor. So in order for my hips to balance my back arches. It seems there is no strength in my hip flexors/ankels.

My goals are to start white collar boxing eventually once its allowed after covid.
    Last edited by JohnnyRiptide; 02-20-2021 at 09:51 AM.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Upper Body

Dumbell curls, tricep extentions, dumbell row, lying flys, vertical raises/alternate then skull crushers with plank spiderman crunch at the end ( I do 7 sets of 15 or until failure). I then finish my weightlifting session with about 6 rounds of 3 minute boxing. My goal is also cardiovascular/boxing fitness.

Lower Body

Sumo Squat, Plank leg raises, Front squat (the failed attempt) calf raises, glute bridge, alternate lunges, boxer squat, then finish off with 30 minutes on the bike.
    Your exercise selection and order looks a bit odd even if your end goal is "boxing fitness" rather than strength or hypertrophy. But if weight loss and cardio is the true priority, it doesn't matter as much.

The issue I have is I have to do my gym sessions because if I miss one I end up losing months of progress.
    This is mental, you don't lose months of progress by missing one gym session.

I would upload it but literally I cannot go down without my back rounding/arching. If I went down with a straight back Id just fall to the floor. So in order for my hips to balance my back arches. It seems there is no strength in my hip flexors/ankels.

My goals are to start white collar boxing.
    It's hard to give any useful feedback on db front squats without seeing a video of you doing them. I suggest doing them with just bodyweight holding your arms in the same position you hold the dbs until you feel you can do them with proper form, then add tiny weights gradually. I get the feeling straight back and arched back might mean something diff to you.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I would advise working a "face the wall squat"(do a search)first and get proficient with it right now.
    Then you can transition into a goblet squat.
    The goblet squat is similar but different in that your holding a DB or kettle bell between your hands close to the chest in front of the body like a front squat.
    You are not though resting the weight on your shoulders as in a barbell front squat but the leverage is similar and you can stay more upright as you can move the weight away from your body to counter balance yourself from falling.
    Do these flat footed and go as far down as you can in good form.
    Do a search if your interested.
    Eventually you can transition into the front squat with a barbell.
    Also as mentioned a video would be helpful for more constructive comments.

Originally Posted by Garage Rat View Post
    I would advise working a "face the wall squat"(do a search)first and get proficient with it right now.
    Then you can transition into a goblet squat.
    The goblet squat is similar but different in that your holding a DB or kettle bell between your hands close to the chest in front of the body like a front squat.
    You are not though resting the weight on your shoulders as in a barbell front squat but the leverage is similar and you can stay more upright as you can move the weight away from your body to counter balance yourself from falling.
    Do these flat footed and go as far down as you can in good form.
    Do a search if your interested.
    Eventually you can transition into the front squat with a barbell.
    Also as mentioned a video would be helpful for more constructive comments.
    Thank you for this. I tried to do it on the easiest setting (further back from wall) and I keep falling backwards and lose balance. I will stick with it and see if I can get closer to the wall.

I know advice is limited due to lack of visuals, i think i would probably become a video meme if i put it up lol.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thank you for this. I tried to do it on the easiest setting (further back from wall) and I keep falling backwards and lose balance. I will stick with it and see if I can get closer to the wall.

I know advice is limited due to lack of visuals, i think i would probably become a video meme if i put it up lol.
    There are editing software where you can blur out your face. Or wear a face diaper like every other person does in their vids these days.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

Markype is a complete loser! (-2000) Markype is a complete loser! (-2000) Markype is a complete loser! (-2000) Markype is a complete loser! (-2000) Markype is a complete loser! (-2000) Markype is a complete loser! (-2000) Markype is a complete loser! (-2000) Markype is a complete loser! (-2000) Markype is a complete loser! (-2000) Markype is a complete loser! (-2000) Markype is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Hi everyone

Thank you!
    In terms of squat, forcing a particuliar variant is not the best way to go in my opinion. I have mobility issues as well, for me it's mostly caused by glutes, harmstrings, calves and lower back. Doing regular "touch your toes", touching the floor with the palm of the hand helped a lot to gain mobility. I still need to use squat shoes for an acceptable back squat.

But I can't do front squat, my form is not good at all.

STRYDG will become famous soon enough. (+50) STRYDG will become famous soon enough. (+50) STRYDG will become famous soon enough. (+50) STRYDG will become famous soon enough. (+50) STRYDG will become famous soon enough. (+50) STRYDG will become famous soon enough. (+50) STRYDG will become famous soon enough. (+50) STRYDG will become famous soon enough. (+50) STRYDG will become famous soon enough. (+50) STRYDG will become famous soon enough. (+50) STRYDG will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Would zercher squats work for you? I find these keep me relatively upright