sokaman is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Calorie deficit and strength gains

Hi all,

I'm a newbie and around 5 months into my training routine (3 times a week of compound movements). My strength gains continue while maintaining a small calorie deficit. I've lost about 1 kg (2.2lbs) in a month. I have 2 questions:

1. Can I assume that it is all fat loss?
    2. If I continue like this, will it eventually result in lower body fat % and an increase in lean mass?

TIA

faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    1. i would say a lot of it is fat loss, not sure if literally every gram though
    2. yes, assuming you can keep doing it

Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    1. Can I assume that it is all fat loss?
    2. If I continue like this, will it eventually result in lower body fat % and an increase in lean mass?
    Maybe.

Not all "Strength gains" come from having increased muscle mass. Some of it comes from improving your form with the lift as well as having increased the central nervous system's "mind/muscle" connection for the exercise which allows you to more fully utilize the muscle tissue that you already have.
    ~ Like Tae-Kwon-Leap, my goals are not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Originally Posted by faithbrah View Post
    1. i would say a lot of it is fat loss, not sure if literally every gram though
    2. yes, assuming you can keep doing it
    Thanks

Originally Posted by Luclin999 View Post
    Maybe.

Not all "Strength gains" come from having increased muscle mass. Some of it comes from improving your form with the lift as well as having increased the central nervous system's "mind/muscle" connection for the exercise which allows you to more fully utilize the muscle tissue that you already have.
    Is that also true 5 months in?

Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by sokaman View Post
    Is that also true 5 months in?
    It can be true at really any point in time.

If for example, if you've been doing something wrong for months and finally corrected it, or haven't really been pushing yourself as hard as was really possible until recently.

Since we only have what you tell us to go by, it's impossible for people on the internet to know how good or badly you are actually doing in the gym.
    ~ Like Tae-Kwon-Leap, my goals are not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Originally Posted by Luclin999 View Post
    It can be true at really any point in time.

If for example, if you've been doing something wrong for months and finally corrected it, or haven't really been pushing yourself as hard as was really possible until recently.

Since we only have what you tell us to go by, it's impossible for people on the internet to know how good or badly you are actually doing in the gym.
    \

What you're saying is very plausible. Also plausible are strength gains, an increase in lean mass and a decrease in fat. Or a combination of both.