czjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) czjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) czjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Getting back into working out problem with weight gain

I’ve been out of lifting for a year pretty much a beginner again so I’m doing a full body spilt.
    Biggest problem I had lifting before was I wasn’t eating enough. I was not gaining as much as I could’ve
    Ironically now I think I’m eating too much
    I was:
    12/02 79.05kg
    14/02 79.35
    17/02 79.55
    19/02 80.45
    I’ve gained 1.4kg in a week
    I’m eating around 3000 calories
    How long should I stick to this diet until it’s accurate that I’m gaining too much eg 2 weeks? Or a month?

Thanks

czjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) czjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) czjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by czjs View Post
    I’ve been out of lifting for a year pretty much a beginner again so I’m doing a full body spilt.
    Biggest problem I had lifting before was I wasn’t eating enough. I was not gaining as much as I could’ve
    Ironically now I think I’m eating too much
    I was:
    12/02 79.05kg
    14/02 79.35
    17/02 79.55
    19/02 80.45
    I’ve gained 1.4kg in a week
    I’m eating around 3000 calories
    How long should I stick to this diet until it’s accurate that I’m gaining too much eg 2 weeks? Or a month?

Thanks
    And I’m not 51 I’m 19 😂

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    It's probably just increased levels of inflammation and glycogen uptake in to the muscles... It will most likely settle down next week. One week is nothing.

It may be that 3000 is too many. I would start conservatively at what you think your maintenance level is - and make tactical increases of 1-200 calories only if your progress in the gym is slowing down.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    It's probably just increased levels of inflammation and glycogen uptake in to the muscles... It will most likely settle down next week. One week is nothing.

It may be that 3000 is too many. I would start conservatively at what you think your maintenance level is - and make tactical increases of 1-200 calories only if your progress in the gym is slowing down.
    Just put my figure into the calorie calculator on bodybuilding
    ****ing hellll that was eye opening
    My maintenance would be 2000
    And bulking would be 2500
    I put in the most sedentary lifestyle because of lockdown but even then I did not think it would be so low.
    I’ll try and drop down to 2700 and see if I can progress on that.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by czjs View Post
    Just put my figure into the calorie calculator on bodybuilding
    ****ing hellll that was eye opening
    My maintenance would be 2000
    And bulking would be 2500
    I put in the most sedentary lifestyle because of lockdown but even then I did not think it would be so low.
    I’ll try and drop down to 2500 and see if I can progress on that.
    Be careful with calculators. They can give you a false sense of precision when really they only making guesses. They tend to overestimate TDEE for fat people and underestimate for slim people (ironically).

2500 is reasonable though. Stick with it for at least 2 weeks otherwise it will muddy the waters when trying to decide if your estimate of your TDEE is about right or not.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Be careful with calculators. They can give you a false sense of precision when really they only making guesses. They tend to overestimate TDEE for fat people and underestimate for slim people (ironically).

2500 is reasonable though. Stick with it for at least 2 weeks otherwise it will muddy the waters when trying to decide if your estimate of your TDEE is about right or not.
    Thanks man last question is I don’t want to create a new post, my fat ratios are pretty high it’s usually 40 fat/ 30 carb /30 protein
    Cheese is a big part of my diet,

will eating that much fat but staying in my calories increase my visceral fat?

Generally speaking, eating fat doesn't lead to more stored fat compared to any other diet with the same calorie total.

If you are exercising and not eating an excessive number of calories, I would not be worried about it personally. You may have to lose some weight to get a lean muscular look at some point but I think it's good to focus on muscle gain for now (which is always the longest and most difficult part of the process).