Thread: Pistol squats

safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Pistol squats

A little goal of mine I want to do. Best way to progress to them? I did one leg squats while holding onto something today and thinking of increasing the reps until I feel comfortable doing them without holding onto something. Is this a good way of approaching it?

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Could be beneficial to stand on a box while holding on..
    Its a much better position until mobility is there.

Cool goal. Circus lifts can be hella impressive when done well!
    Pistols, strict muscle ups, zerchers from floor and steinbornes ect
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.

kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by MyEgoProblem View Post

While we're on the topic, since I've read criticisms elsewhere in reference to Pistol Squats being mostly "for show" opposed to being beneficial from a function or form perspective.

Are weighted pistol squats a thing? And, would such an activity be useful as a strength and balance exercise? For example, if I'm looking to improve my one-legged balance, as well as strength and endurance on one leg, wouldn't pistol squats be a useful way to go? Or, would regular squats, perhaps lunges, be a more useful way for developing strength? And then utilizing that strength for the purposes of balance?

I'm specifically interested in increasing my performance in certain yoga balance poses, although I'm unsure if this forum is the right place for that specificity.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm sure I've seen holding on to it as a progression technique. The most optimal I think would be like a TRX band that you can hold at your centerline in order to keep your upper core symmetrical. You have to have pretty balanced posture from your hips to your traps to get to the bottom smoothly.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The straps are a good idea to get the right areas working.
    I would try doing them to a box or bench and decrease the range once your good at one.
    Balance can be tricky so with the straps i would try not to balance with them unless absolutely necessary.
    Years ago i got a great DVD from Steve Cotter on doing the pistol squat that may still be available.
    Good luck.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by kharneth View Post
    While we're on the topic, since I've read criticisms elsewhere in reference to Pistol Squats being mostly "for show" opposed to being beneficial from a function or form perspective.
    I think that way because I don't find myself in athletic situations where I bend one leg with the other leg out in front.

Are weighted pistol squats a thing? And, would such an activity be useful as a strength and balance exercise?
    You have to be careful. A full rom pistol squat require a flexed spine.

For example, if I'm looking to improve my one-legged balance, as well as strength and endurance on one leg, wouldn't pistol squats be a useful way to go? Or, would regular squats, perhaps lunges, be a more useful way for developing strength? And then utilizing that strength for the purposes of balance?
    I would go with a shrimp squat or skater squat for that purpose.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kharneth has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    I think that way because I don't find myself in athletic situations where I bend one leg with the other leg out in front.
    Meh, I don't find myself in athletic situations, period, outside of the gym or when doing yoga.

TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Meh, I don't find myself in athletic situations, period, outside of the gym or when doing yoga.
    So why did you ask?

safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Box could be a good idea. As long as I'm not the clown of the circus, I'm happy

So why did you ask?
    Looking to improve strength, endurance, and balance on a single leg. What's it matter if the lifted leg is going forward or backward?

Originally Posted by GeneralSerpant View Post
    I'm sure I've seen holding on to it as a progression technique. The most optimal I think would be like a TRX band that you can hold at your centerline in order to keep your upper core symmetrical. You have to have pretty balanced posture from your hips to your traps to get to the bottom smoothly.
    Yeah I've seen them trx bands. They would be great. I wouldn't know where to attach them though. I'm currently holding onto a cot as it's the best thing in my house that allows me to maintain good form lol

Originally Posted by Garage Rat View Post
    The straps are a good idea to get the right areas working.
    I would try doing them to a box or bench and decrease the range once your good at one.
    Balance can be tricky so with the straps i would try not to balance with them unless absolutely necessary.
    Years ago i got a great DVD from Steve Cotter on doing the pistol squat that may still be available.
    Good luck.
    I've got a few things in the house I could use in the house to squat to different depths so I'll give that a go. I'll also see if I can find that dvd online. Thanks mate

You have to be careful. A full rom pistol squat require a flexed spine.
    I'm doing them to just below parallel while maintaining a neutral spine. Is that incorrect technique for a pistol mate?

Looking to improve strength, endurance, and balance on a single leg. What's it matter if the lifted leg is going forward or backward?
    Changes your center of balance and forcing you to flex your spine to maintain balance. For "functional" purposes, I don't see the point of increasing leg strength past a certain point if I can't increase my ability to load my back.

Originally Posted by safcpaul View Post
    I'm doing them to just below parallel while maintaining a neutral spine. Is that incorrect technique for a pistol mate?
    Unloaded it would be fine. Just have to be careful if you start adding weight.

Unloaded it would be fine. Just have to be careful if you start adding weight.
    Thanks mate. On spread

Changes your center of balance and forcing you to flex your spine to maintain balance. For "functional" purposes, I don't see the point of increasing leg strength past a certain point if I can't increase my ability to load my back.
    I don't think I'd ever be able to increase the load on a pistol squat to the point where I'd be risking my spine, but maybe? "Functional" is a contextual term. Pistol squatting compared to resting my leg on a bench behind me seems to be a more balance-intensive alternative to a squat, but honestly I'm not sure I'd personally care which way I go.

I don't think I'd ever be able to increase the load on a pistol squat to the point where I'd be risking my spine, but maybe? "Functional" is a contextual term. Pistol squatting compared to resting my leg on a bench behind me seems to be a more balance-intensive alternative to a squat, but honestly I'm not sure I'd personally care which way I go.
    That's part of what I mean. You're more likely to need balance on one foot with the unloaded foot behind you than in front.

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I know he is hella cringe.. And has some weird ideas.
    But his calisthenics content is pretty solid. Plus it lines up here with my personal views xD

https://youtu.be/swLGZmTHOfQ
    5:45s in..
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.

But his calisthenics content is pretty solid. Plus it lines up here with my personal views xD

Oh, I do like that a lot. I don't have a box, but by the time I'm looking to do pistol squats I could have one, or just do the one-legged ones with my bench. But that's really clever!

That's part of what I mean. You're more likely to need balance on one foot with the unloaded foot behind you than in front.
    I suppose you are right, almost all of the yoga poses I have in mind involve holding the lifted leg behind me. The only one with the leg forward is more of a stretch than anything.

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    This is one exercise I will never do as I have a torn meniscus in my right knee but I'm curious if there would be merit to sitting on the bottom stair and trying to stand up with one leg (perhaps rock forward first)? May be worth playing around with.
    My 100% free website: healthierwithscience.com
    My YouTube channel: youtube.com/@benjaminlevinsonmd17

Good vid mate. On spread