gluteyork is on a distinguished road. (+10)

How Accurate Are Evolt Machines? Working Out 6x a week but gaining fat/losing muscle?

***This seemed to be the best forum for this since it discusses a machine, however it admittedly overlaps a few other topics as well. If it ends up that this is not the right place (I cannot imagine where else it would go aside from misc, but it is fitness related, I apologize in advance--traumatized by the mods from a "colorful" forum, so please do not beat me.***

Having become sick and tired of being skinny or skinny fat (depending on the time), at the start of December, I committed to a regular fitness regimen centered around weight lifting. I shoot for 7 days a week, but typically make 6 because I am "listening to my body." I am running a 3-day split (push-pull-legs) and restarting it a second time after a day of rest.

I am 5'10 and up to ~180 lbs (up from ~165 in December)--this is the most that I have ever weighed, but am less concerned with the number and more about the results. I have put on quite a bit of muscle, but obviously with that comes fat. I am planning to start cutting mid/late March (depends on how much more fat I end up gaining because I do not want to require new clothes just because I am in a bulk. I am not doing a dirty bulk and track my macros in myfitnesspal. I am eating around 3k calories a day as of about a month ago, when I realized that I was probably not eating enough to put on max muscle--I was eating about 2500 calories and have read many posts and articles about how recomp would take forever, so it is optimal to bulk/cut, at least to get some baseline muscle and then reevaluate.

My gym has an Evolt machine that is supposed to breakdown your body composition. From the start, I am aware that the accuracy may be in doubt due to the way that it measures these metrics. The weight was correct (duh), and it points out things like slightly more muscle mass in my left arm over my right, which makes sense because I am very left-dominant and this has been something that I have been working on. These things cause me to at least not fully dismiss the results. However, ever since I increased my caloric intake and thus gained the fat that comes with muscle, I have noticed that my weekly Evolt readings are saying that I am gaining weight (to be expected), but losing muscle while gaining fat.

I lift 6x a week and cannot understand why I would be losing muscle because I am eating 200+ grams of protein a day, and my routine seems to check out, so is this simply a metric that Evolt is not able to accurately measure or is there another possible explanation for this phenomenon?

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by gluteyork View Post
    ***This seemed to be the best forum for this since it discusses a machine, however it admittedly overlaps a few other topics as well. If it ends up that this is not the right place (I cannot imagine where else it would go aside from misc, but it is fitness related, I apologize in advance--traumatized by the mods from a "colorful" forum, so please do not beat me.***

Having become sick and tired of being skinny or skinny fat (depending on the time), at the start of December, I committed to a regular fitness regimen centered around weight lifting. I shoot for 7 days a week, but typically make 6 because I am "listening to my body." I am running a 3-day split (push-pull-legs) and restarting it a second time after a day of rest.

I am 5'10 and up to ~180 lbs (up from ~165 in December)--this is the most that I have ever weighed, but am less concerned with the number and more about the results. I have put on quite a bit of muscle, but obviously with that comes fat. I am planning to start cutting mid/late March (depends on how much more fat I end up gaining because I do not want to require new clothes just because I am in a bulk. I am not doing a dirty bulk and track my macros in myfitnesspal. I am eating around 3k calories a day as of about a month ago, when I realized that I was probably not eating enough to put on max muscle--I was eating about 2500 calories and have read many posts and articles about how recomp would take forever, so it is optimal to bulk/cut, at least to get some baseline muscle and then reevaluate.

My gym has an Evolt machine that is supposed to breakdown your body composition. From the start, I am aware that the accuracy may be in doubt due to the way that it measures these metrics. The weight was correct (duh), and it points out things like slightly more muscle mass in my left arm over my right, which makes sense because I am very left-dominant and this has been something that I have been working on. These things cause me to at least not fully dismiss the results. However, ever since I increased my caloric intake and thus gained the fat that comes with muscle, I have noticed that my weekly Evolt readings are saying that I am gaining weight (to be expected), but losing muscle while gaining fat.

I lift 6x a week and cannot understand why I would be losing muscle because I am eating 200+ grams of protein a day, and my routine seems to check out, so is this simply a metric that Evolt is not able to accurately measure or is there another possible explanation for this phenomenon?
    It is a useless, worthless TOY that is little more than a magic 8-ball toy that MAY accurately tell you your weight.

https://weightology.net/the-pitfalls...impedance-bia/

gluteyork is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I appreciate the resource! "BIA can be problematic because it's a prediction based off of a prediction, so the error gets compounded." I never really thought about it like that--I was initially skeptical but was just so thrown when it "detected" the difference in muscle mass between my arms, but clearly, body fat is where it is a lot less accurate. I will keep my faith in myfitnesspal and my routine--I am seeing results, so I guess a regular scale is all I need.
    Not actually 51 >.< Not sure why it says that.

ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'd recommend just getting a measuring tape and a scale and measure and track your shoulder to waist ratio and bodyweight, record it all on a regular interval like once every two weeks so you don't get obsessed.

klbbr will become famous soon enough. (+50) klbbr will become famous soon enough. (+50) klbbr will become famous soon enough. (+50) klbbr will become famous soon enough. (+50) klbbr will become famous soon enough. (+50) klbbr will become famous soon enough. (+50) klbbr will become famous soon enough. (+50) klbbr will become famous soon enough. (+50) klbbr will become famous soon enough. (+50) klbbr will become famous soon enough. (+50) klbbr will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    what ampire said, and i'd add more to it, so:

measuring tape
    bodyweight
    photo of yourself, same light and same angle
    Accu-Measure Body Fat Caliper (costs 15$)

I've been taking such measurements for a long time, and these four put together are pretty accurate. Alone they may not be, but put together they are. Like your waist may go up, but it's due to whatever you've recently drunk or eaten, maybe even your recent sodium intake, so doesn't necessarily mean you've gained bodyfat. It's normal that some times you have such incongruous data, where one of the four paramenters deviate from the other three. But usually all those four measurements tell the same story.

if i had my cell here, i'd post a progress graph from the app GymRun, where you can add such data and follow your progress easily

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...5779631&page=1

add to that, you say you lift 6x a week. that's might be going overboard, and it's another reason to use an app like gymrun to track your weight and volume. you're still supposed to get yuge newbie gains if you started in december, and if you've got slow progress i'd advice more rest days. but hey, if you're making progress you're making progress. but it's way easier to evaluate it if you use an app or a journal

usually when you've just begun lifting you get stronger but most of the gains are what you call "neuromuscular adaptation", and it's months later most of the gains are muscles