Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by andybb23 View Post
    What exactly do you mean by this? It's my understanding that I need to eat enough in order to gain muscle for my strength to increase. Are you suggesting to just continue what I'm doing now diet-wise and focus on increasing my lifts?
    You have the cart before the horse. Muscle doesn't grow just because there's sufficient energy and protein available. There has to be appropriate training stimulus. If you're not training with enough effort, little of any weight gain will be muscle.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    You're clearly reluctant to accept that you're not training hard enough. The muscle mass you have is appropriate for your level of strength.
    This ^^^^.

Reminds me of the guy who had completed "200 weight workouts" and was confused why he did not have more muscle - but after over a year of lifting, was squating like 80 pounds...

vaibhav8787 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Just started!

Hey guys.
    36 yr/5'6/170lbs novice here.

1. Have been active most of my life through various sports. (Competitive football for major chunk of my 20s, basketball, squash, volleyball etc).

2. Also a mediocre runner (Half M- 1'50).

3. Lots of bodyweight exercises but was never really a gym guy. (More of an access problem than a desire one). Then was in a sedentary job for 5-6 yrs and gained approx 45lbs before reducing 30 lbs primarily through running various 10K and 21K.

4. Now in a place with acces to a small gym and all the time in the world. So started workout 5-6 times a week. Run about a mile before gym + 45 min gym + walk a mile after that for recovery.

5. Aim is to start cutting some flab. Pics in bodyspace for reference.

Q1 - I read people lifting 200-250lbs bench or squat. Does one need to lift that heavy to really start cutting?
    I mean my TDEE as per Garmin is 2200-2500 cal. My intake is approx 1600-1800 cal. Isnt that much cal deficit enough to actually get into cutting mode?

Q2- Related to Q1- since i am the only person visiting that small gym, not much help in terms of spotter/helper here and hence i feel risk of injury is more. What else can be substituted for these heavy weights?

Thanks in advance.

Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by vaibhav8787 View Post
    Hey guys.
    36 yr/5'6/170lbs novice here.

1. Have been active most of my life through various sports. (Competitive football for major chunk of my 20s, basketball, squash, volleyball etc).

2. Also a mediocre runner (Half M- 1'50).

3. Lots of bodyweight exercises but was never really a gym guy. (More of an access problem than a desire one). Then was in a sedentary job for 5-6 yrs and gained approx 45lbs before reducing 30 lbs primarily through running various 10K and 21K.

4. Now in a place with acces to a small gym and all the time in the world. So started workout 5-6 times a week. Run about a mile before gym + 45 min gym + walk a mile after that for recovery.

5. Aim is to start cutting some flab. Pics in bodyspace for reference.

Q1 - I read people lifting 200-250lbs bench or squat. Does one need to lift that heavy to really start cutting?
    I mean my TDEE as per Garmin is 2200-2500 cal. My intake is approx 1600-1800 cal. Isnt that much cal deficit enough to actually get into cutting mode?

Q2- Related to Q1- since i am the only person visiting that small gym, not much help in terms of spotter/helper here and hence i feel risk of injury is more. What else can be substituted for these heavy weights?

Thanks in advance.
    this belongs in a new thread
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

andybb23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Okay, so after taking everyone's advice my lifts have gone up after trying to lift more which is great, but I'm now at 19% bf and my face has become more full.

I'm still not quite grasping how the body fat percentage works in relation to weight. Ideally, I'd want to have started at 13% and bulk up to 15% so I'd be still relatively lean looking during the process. But I started at 16% at 160 and I'm 19% at 165 over the course of 3 months.

It would seem that given the little amount of muscle that I have, I would need to weigh ~140 lbs to be at 13% which seems ridiculous. Is it possible to lower bf% just by increasing the muscle to fat ratio by gaining muscle/weight?

Is the reason it's like this because simply I don't have a lot of muscle? In that case, should I be eating more or should I cut to a lower weight first?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    You seem very sure about what your BF% is but that is the most difficult thing to measure. If you gained 5 lbs and went from 16-19% - it would have had to be 5.5lbs of fat and a loss of 0.5lbs muscle - not very likely. Much more likely that it was maybe 50/50 muscle and fat gain.

If you are a little fluffy, you don't have to "bulk" to gain muscle, you could even be in a slight deficit.

Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Okay, so after taking everyone's advice my lifts have gone up after trying to lift more which is great, but I'm now at 19% bf and my face has become more full.

I'm still not quite grasping how the body fat percentage works in relation to weight. Ideally, I'd want to have started at 13% and bulk up to 15% so I'd be still relatively lean looking during the process. But I started at 16% at 160 and I'm 19% at 165 over the course of 3 months.

It would seem that given the little amount of muscle that I have, I would need to weigh ~140 lbs to be at 13% which seems ridiculous. Is it possible to lower bf% just by increasing the muscle to fat ratio by gaining muscle/weight?

Is the reason it's like this because simply I don't have a lot of muscle? In that case, should I be eating more or should I cut to a lower weight first?
    Forget about the BF% and ratios. Those are basically meaningless and cause more stress than needed. Concentrate your energy on factors of diet and training that actually matter
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

It would seem that given the little amount of muscle that I have, I would need to weigh ~140 lbs to be at 13% which seems ridiculous.
    Your math and understanding of the basic concepts is what's ridiculous. You don't need to drop to 140lb to get to 13% bf.

andybb23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    Your math and understanding of the basic concepts is what's ridiculous. You don't need to drop to 140lb to get to 13% bf.
    Would you mind explaining it to me instead of ridiculing? I'm saying that it seems with the current amount of muscle that I have, I would need to drop to around 140lb to get to 13% bf. What's wrong about this?

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Would you mind explaining it to me instead of ridiculing? I'm saying that it seems with the current amount of muscle that I have, I would need to drop to around 140lb to get to 13% bf. What's wrong about this?
    If you're 165lb at 19% it means you have 133.65lb of lean weight

133.65 / .87 = 153.6lb.... NOT 140.
    The power of carbs compels me!

I'm saying this:

I've read that 4 lbs = 1% bf, so if I wanted to cut to 13%, that would require me to lose 16 more lbs down to 144 lbs? This seems really low
    At any time, did it ever occur to you that 4lbs = 1% bf is not even remotely true? 4 lbs is 1% of 400lbs.

Even if the above is true, how did you reconcile thinking you gained 3% points in bf when you gained 5lb to needing to lose 25 lb to lose 6% points?

Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Do we not teach math in school anymore?
    Bench: 365
    Squat: 495
    Deadlift: 535

Refrigerator Lover

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Oh boy.

Let this be a lesson not to take anything off the internet at face value...

I can't believe we now have broscience about percentages