Thread: Tydax barbell

BossMD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BossMD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BossMD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BossMD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BossMD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BossMD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BossMD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BossMD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BossMD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BossMD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BossMD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Tydax barbell

Hi,

Looking for an opinion on a barbell I just purchased. As a disclaimer, I love Tydax - they are an excellent company providing well built equipment to the masses and their customer service is second to none.

I recently bought the 20kg barbell with 4 needle bearings and a self lubricating bronze bushing per sleeve. When I received the bar, however, I noticed that the bushing was not bronze. After some back and forth I was informed that the bars were now using 'upgraded' stainless steel bushings.

I haven't been in the lifting game that long - however, my understanding is that, although stainless steel is nice for the bar itself (and I have a power bar that is full stainless steel with bronze bushings), steel on steel bushings are not great for sleeve spin. This bar will be used for Olympic lifts (home gym, nothing crazy, not training for competitions). Curious to hear some thoughts from more experienced lifters. The price of the bar is hard to beat (<$400 Canadian), especially for a bar with needle bearings, but I do wonder about this 'upgrade'.

Regards

BMD

radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Well, you have the bar in your possession. How does it spin?

BossMD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BossMD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BossMD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BossMD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BossMD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BossMD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BossMD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BossMD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BossMD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BossMD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BossMD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Spins fine now - the concern is how it will hold up over time (steel on steel).

Registered User forummrodriguez's Avatar
    forummrodriguez is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hi! What is the best exercise for slim?

SaviorSelfJT has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SaviorSelfJT has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SaviorSelfJT has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SaviorSelfJT has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SaviorSelfJT has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SaviorSelfJT has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SaviorSelfJT has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SaviorSelfJT has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SaviorSelfJT has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SaviorSelfJT has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SaviorSelfJT has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm assuming this is an advertisement for TYDAX? GTFO
    Best lifts:
    Bench press: 315x4, 345x1
    Squat: 465x1
    Strict press: 185x8
    Deadlift: 405x10

Registered User AccomplishCoyot's Avatar
    AccomplishCoyot is on a distinguished road. (+10) AccomplishCoyot is on a distinguished road. (+10) AccomplishCoyot is on a distinguished road. (+10) AccomplishCoyot is on a distinguished road. (+10) AccomplishCoyot is on a distinguished road. (+10) AccomplishCoyot is on a distinguished road. (+10) AccomplishCoyot is on a distinguished road. (+10) AccomplishCoyot is on a distinguished road. (+10) AccomplishCoyot is on a distinguished road. (+10) AccomplishCoyot is on a distinguished road. (+10) AccomplishCoyot is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by SaviorSelfJT View Post
    I'm assuming this is an advertisement for TYDAX? GTFO
    How is it an advertisement if the OP is complaining about Tydax pulling a bait and switch with the rotation system?

TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by AccomplishCoyot View Post
    How is it an advertisement if the OP is complaining about Tydax pulling a bait and switch with the rotation system?
    Because it reads like one trying to be not so cleverly disguised...cheap, stainless, needle bearings...

Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by TomGallopavo View Post
    Because it reads like one trying to be not so cleverly disguised...cheap, stainless, needle bearings...
    It is a bit suspect, especially after looking at the OP's past posts. 4.5 months ago he knew nothing about this company but now he says they are an "excellent company providing well built equipment to the masses and their customer service is second to none."

radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Duplicitous View Post
    It is a bit suspect, especially after looking at the OP's past posts. 4.5 months ago he knew nothing about this company but now he says they are an "excellent company providing well built equipment to the masses and their customer service is second to none."
    Suspect for sure. The question about whether stainless bushings are better or worse than bronze bushings is an interesting one, but with the popularity of stainless, I wouldn't be surprised if OP expected us to proclaim it's an upgrade. I honestly don't know. As long as they are lubricated, either bronze or stainless is probably fine.

Thanks for the laughs - what a world we live in.

No - I don't work for Tydax nor was this an advertisement (my name suggests another line of work). My prelude served two purposes - first, I'm not out to sewer any company, especially in these difficult economic times, so I was trying to make the post less 'negative' while raising my question/concern with the bar I received. Second, I have used some of the companies gear (borrowed from friends who have their equipment - testing the gear before buying) while I waited (~4.5 months - as pointed out) for them to restock - and the equipment I have used 'IN MY OPINION' is high quality. I have been dealing with their customer service since getting the bar and raising my concerns and they have been excellent to deal with (not every company is - but many are - if I listed those would it make you feel less threatened by a sneaky 'advertisement'?). So I'm not sure why your panties are in a knot - if this had been a post about rogue gear (of which there are hundreds) you wouldn't have blinked twice.

The questions was legit - I have used their bars. Now I have a bar after a long restock wait and it is not the stated specs nor the bar they made before - it is missing the logo on the shaft (not a big deal I recognize) and, back to the original question, the bushings are not self lubricating bronze as stated in the specs. I called them on it, they replied and said they have upgraded the bushings to stainless steel. However, in reading about bushings in applications other than for barbells, the general consensus is that bronze is the best. The only material I have come across for barbells is here:

tworepcave.com/1935/if-you-had-to-pick-just-one-barbell-here-is-the-one/

The authors state that stainless steel bushings will have a higher coefficient of friction compared to bronze (steel on steel) - so (in theory at least), the spin should be worse with the stainless steel bushing compared to bronze (not ideal for an Oly bar). This prompted the original question. There are other companies that use stainless steel bushings on olympic bars such as bells of steel and luxiaojun barbell - I was hoping someone with experience could chime in. Fortunately, I have been able to chat with some experienced individuals and got the answer I needed.

Appreciate the comments

BMD

TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    This sticky is where I started my barbell studies...right above your post...

forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172716751