brb Acquiring gains InsanePain11's Avatar
    InsanePain11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) InsanePain11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) InsanePain11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) InsanePain11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) InsanePain11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) InsanePain11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) InsanePain11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) InsanePain11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) InsanePain11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) InsanePain11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) InsanePain11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Need advice on resume gap, other things (srs)

Hey all,

So, I've been messing up lately and badly need to get back on track. Just over 1 year ago I lost a 6.5 year relationship with a girl that was brutal, also lost my pet and my place. She moved on and I didn't yet. I was going into a spiral a bit- depressed, crushed, heartache that hasn't ended etc. There were people at my last job (HR related field) that knew my ex and were treating me differently. I know don't sh!t where you eat.. lesson learned. I felt I needed to leave because my head was so messed up and I wanted no connection to her at all. So I left the job. I had sold my house with the ex so I made some good cash from that, and I decided to take a few months off. Around the 3 month mark, one of my parents died suddenly. I've been spiraling a bit with depression and I'm trying really hard to get in the moment, get my sh!t together. I had moved home because my other parent needed a lot of help and support (esp with covid going on), as well as other family members. My whole life changed so quickly and I'm struggling to adapt. Because there is now a year gap+ on my resume, I'm struggling to get an interview in my field. Admittedly I feel I waited too long to look for a new job, and I'm not getting responses from recruiters like I used to. I need to find a better way to explain the gap. (I've tried putting "leave of absence to help sick relative" but I don't know if that's acceptable to many employers who I know hate seeing resume gaps) I'm a prideful person usually but my self esteem sucks right now.

I would really appreciate advice if you have some, on how to do better from today forward. Specifically what should I say on my resume to explain to employment gap? Before all of this, I was a hard worker and I just need another chance. I also feel ashamed of being out of work, and I haven't updated my linkedin because I don't want anyone to know I've been out of work. But at the same time Linkedin is one of the best places to find work and talk to recruiters about jobs. So lately I've been applying just to other job sites, but of course they look at my linkedin profile I'm sure..which isn't updated like I mentioned. I'm also considering a career change to something health/physical related but not sure yet. I'd prefer to get another HR job first though to build on my resume. I don't want to waste more time not pursuing anything.

Honestly, I've been going crazy at times and think about my past way too much. I just made an appointment with a psychiatrist because some of my main issues are mental/emotional. I've been reading books and trying to improve, I work out everyday, and really want to get back to work. Does anyone have advice on the resume part and the approach to recruiters, or how to adjust my mindset in general? Would really appreciate it.

paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by InsanePain11 View Post
    Because there is now a year gap+ on my resume, I'm struggling to get an interview in my field.
    Tell them that the gap was when you went to Yale. If they hire you, thank them and tell them that you really need this yob.

_zman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) _zman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) _zman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) _zman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) _zman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) _zman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) _zman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) _zman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) _zman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) _zman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) _zman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You can explain the gap on your resume and look into how others have made that possible through a search online. I guarantee you're not alone.

It's important to put that on there because people are asking questions when they're reading your resume, like you say.

It sounds like you're doing all the right things to keep your mind busy, stay sharp, stay motivated, whatever it takes. Do what you can to network with anyone you know, catch up with friends. Not only will you feel better socializing, but you can slip in there that you're looking for a job lately to keep yourself busy. You don't even have to ask them a favor, if they have something they'll mention it, maybe their employer is hiring and maybe they'll vouch for you when you apply.

Network with recruiters and even seek out a recruiting firm. They can save you a lot of time and the ones in my area have landed me a few of my jobs, so don't underestimate them. It'd be good to just get your foot in the door somewhere too and work for 6-months to a year and find a more ideal position to your liking.

You can hit up recruiters on LinkedIn as well. Apply for the position, submit a cover letter, send a quick message to the recruiter on LinkedIn, thank them for their time and let them know you applied.
    ★★★ A State of Trance Crew ★★★
    ♞♞♞ Misc Horse Head Crew ♞♞♞