Salil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Sprained my back doing squats

Hello,
    I am 43 year old male , 5' 9" and 164 lbs of weight. I was able to squat pre-covid upto 225 pounds(including barbell) under the supervision of a trainer. Post covid I tried my first squats. The first day went well with 135 pounds. The next time I tried next week 135 pounds was no problem. I added 20 more pounds and in the very first rep felt a sharp sprain in my back. Stopped the exercise and iced my back. My trainer had mentioned that I had very tight hamstrings and post covid I was not doing much of a core workout. Should I buy a belt I am not looking at lifting very heavy but just don't want to injure my back. I had noticed that when I did shoulder press with 50 pounds (each hand) my back would feel uneasy a little bit. I did have a history of back problems being computer programmer and volleyball player? I do have a belt like this https://www.amazon.com/Neoprene-Trim...%2C1984&sr=8-7 . Do I need to buy a new one?

BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Salil View Post
    Hello,
    I am 43 year old male , 5' 9" and 164 lbs of weight. I was able to squat pre-covid upto 225 pounds(including barbell) under the supervision of a trainer. Post covid I tried my first squats. The first day went well with 135 pounds. The next time I tried next week 135 pounds was no problem. I added 20 more pounds and in the very first rep felt a sharp sprain in my back. Stopped the exercise and iced my back. My trainer had mentioned that I had very tight hamstrings and post covid I was not doing much of a core workout. Should I buy a belt I am not looking at lifting very heavy but just don't want to injure my back. I had noticed that when I did shoulder press with 50 pounds (each hand) my back would feel uneasy a little bit. I did have a history of back problems being computer programmer and volleyball player? I do have a belt like this https://www.amazon.com/Neoprene-Trim...%2C1984&sr=8-7 . Do I need to buy a new one?
    That belt you posted is likely not going to be adequate for lifting. Sorry if this is an obvious question, but do you know how to brace your core with your breathing during a squat?

murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Wearing a belt is a good idea if it helps you brace properly, but I'm in agreement that you probably aren't. Learn proper technique and then add a good belt if you want. Check out the stickied belts thread. I have Pioneer Cut belts from General Leathercraft that I love. Skip the Amazon belt.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Whatever you do, don't waste money on that belt you linked.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16