QDubs will become famous soon enough. (+50) QDubs will become famous soon enough. (+50) QDubs will become famous soon enough. (+50) QDubs will become famous soon enough. (+50) QDubs will become famous soon enough. (+50) QDubs will become famous soon enough. (+50) QDubs will become famous soon enough. (+50) QDubs will become famous soon enough. (+50) QDubs will become famous soon enough. (+50) QDubs will become famous soon enough. (+50) QDubs will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Help w/ Gym Organization.

I need some help/advice with organizing.

Room size is 10'8" x 18'6". My bike (TACX) and future rower are in an attic storage room.

- Top priority is safety for my wife (especially as she gets older) on her treadmill & elliptical. How much clearance should I maintain behind & sides? What is safe to put where? E.G., can I put a dumbbell rack about where the Fringe Box is or not a good idea?

- The black box in the corner under the TV is a subwoofer that would be somewhat difficult to move though I could if necessary. It does not get in the way of lifts but may get in the way of storage.

- In some ways it seems like DB's and KB's on the floor works? My wife would like them on racks. Racks all seem to come out quite a ways from the wall though.

- Plate storage/access? The rack is spaced far enough from the wall for storage horns on the back uprights. Might be tight with the sub where it is though.

- I've got some wall hangers for bands, jumpropes, etc. Where best to place these?

- Misc stuff like med balls, lat pull bars, etc. ?

Thanks,
    Attached Images

TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    First swap the treadmill and elliptical so that nothing is behind the treadmill. I agree with wife, get them off the floor. I built my db rack from scraps in the garage. Also built two barbell holders and a trap bar holder. You can build shelves. Your space is great, make it look professional and make her happy...win, win.

MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I don’t know if this will help ,but I thought I’d throw it out there . I built my own home made storage racks for my plates . They consist of that threaded pipe that you can buy at most retail stores , and floor flanges .
    My first version were pretty unsophisticated,and I’m refining them as I go. Mine are secured to a 2x4 that I have around the ceilings perimeter, but you can secure them any fashion you see fit .
    Used 1/4” bolts to secure the flanges to a 2/6 wood stud . The first version has a 2/4 upper and lower base ,but I’m rebuilding them with steel on the bottom and top now .

Make Misc great again

TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Absolutely awesome....

QDubs will become famous soon enough. (+50) QDubs will become famous soon enough. (+50) QDubs will become famous soon enough. (+50) QDubs will become famous soon enough. (+50) QDubs will become famous soon enough. (+50) QDubs will become famous soon enough. (+50) QDubs will become famous soon enough. (+50) QDubs will become famous soon enough. (+50) QDubs will become famous soon enough. (+50) QDubs will become famous soon enough. (+50) QDubs will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thank you guys. Sorry for the late reply, there appear to be issues w/ the forum and new Safari so had to install a different browser.

One issue I've struggled with is that DB/KB racks are all, by necessity, about 24" deep so stick out in to the room a lot more than what I currently have or than a single tier shelf. Possibly the best for me would be something like the Rogue Universal (24"x76" x 3 tier) that should hold all of my DB's & KBs. But even though it takes up less overall floor space, it's kind of bulkier floor space. Might be the ticket though.

BTW, my wife never runs on the treadmill (broke her hip in a marathon a few years ago), only walks. Should safety clearance be the same? She's also balking at swapping those as she spends a lot more time on the treadmill and it has a better view.

@majortendonitis - That looks awesome! That doesn't look like standard black pipe? Did you debur the edges or weld something on? What slatwall did you put up and are you happy with it? A buddy just did his garage w/ Proslat only to find out that it's not standard slatwall (despite the name) and a lot of the accessories he'd bought for it won't work :-(

MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by QDubs View Post

@majortendonitis - That looks awesome! That doesn't look like standard black pipe? Did you debur the edges or weld something on? What slatwall did you put up and are you happy with it? A buddy just did his garage w/ Proslat only to find out that it's not standard slatwall (despite the name) and a lot of the accessories he'd bought for it won't work :-(
    I just went downstairs to grab a spare piece that was left over . It measures 1” ID , so it’s 1-1/4” OD .
    It’s called galvanized gas pipe I believe ,and is sold in all plumbing stores . It’s threaded on two ends , and comes in different lengths .
    I seen a kid use it with floor flanges , and had about three of them secured to a 2x4 about 2 feet high .
    I’m just glad I seen it,as I never would have thought of that idea. Would rep the kid irl .
    Anyways ,I have a metal chop saw , and after cutting to length I deburred the edge with the side of the blade .
    I had access to industrial heat shrink when I was the Cable Guy ,as we use it on all our connectors when we build the plant .
    Worked awesome , as I heated it up and then pushed a socket in the end so that it would go inside the pipe , hiding the sharp edges .
    You can buy round 1-1/4” metal half dome end caps that can be welded to the ends, but it’s above my pay grade .
    Attached Images
    Last edited by MajorTendonitis; 02-07-2021 at 08:50 AM.
    Make Misc great again

For storage I used a product called Store Wall , and it works most awesome .
    Another member here uses it,and thankfully he piped up before I purchased that crap from HD .
    Thankfully I didn’t ,and paid extra for the Store Wall . It’s well worth the extra cost ,as the product they have at HD is only about as thick as vinyl siding .

Store Wall comes in two thicknesses , and I went with the best they had .
    https://www.storewall.ca/?v=707f3a40153b

I don’t care for the looks of the Store Wall at the top . They do have pieces to finish the sides , but the top looks incomplete after it’s installed imo .
    So I used 2x1/2” floor molding to go around the perimeter. I had to dado out the top piece in order for it to sit flush

For storage I used a product called Store Wall , and it works most awesome .
    Another member here uses it,and thankfully he piped up before I purchased that crap from HD .
    Thankfully I didn’t ,and paid extra for the Store Wall . It’s well worth the extra cost ,as the product they have at HD is only about as thick as vinyl siding .

Store Wall comes in two thicknesses , and I opted for the thickest they had .

As you can see ,the top is molded so that it can lock with the section you add to it . I unfortunately had to attach my Store Wall to concrete , so I used wooden strips and extended them further than the product in order to have something to air nail to when I attached the molding

I think it looks much sharper with the molding. Used tremclads real orange spray paint , and it has a very hard surface ,almost as though there’s clear coat in it

They have a proprietary hanger that I used to attach the Store Wall , but you could cheap out and just screw it to the wall . I prefer the clean look of no fasteners though

I used a track saw to cut it , and it’s best to cut it upside down for a clean cut. I made a jig out of mdf to hold the Store Wall sections in order to get repeatability,and to keep things perfectly square .
    Could be done with a skill saw easy enough though

The outcome , lots or real estate for bars . Even my chiropractor is giving me chit and asking why I need so many bars lol .
    Could be that ocd chit, not sure yet
    Last edited by MajorTendonitis; 02-07-2021 at 08:57 AM.
    Make Misc great again

grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    excellent job major as always. Gym is looking good

Wow, thank you. Great info and pics. The deburing & shrinkwrap was a good idea.

Thanks for the StoreWall tip. That stuff looks good. A lot of the folks that sell it also sell HandiWall - not quite as strong and requires screws through the face but about half the cost overall. I definately like StoreWall better so at this point will likely go with that unless the cost is really high.

And great looking gym!

Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I use Wall Control steel pegboards to store my cable attachments, etc.

I've got most of my plates stored on my power rack extension, but I also have a plate tree that I added wheels to.

RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I have a titan mass storage shelf. They're 20" deep. You can't much shallower than that, due to the size of what needs to fit on them. I have a Rogue plate tree on wheels, as well. I only move it occasionally. My gym is pretty tight too. I use Lowes cobalt wall storage racks for lat attachments. Two of them came with my lat tower. Check out the pics off my gym thread fort ideas. I posted a 3D view last week.
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #44 ||---||

Slowly making progress. I ended up doing Handiwall which so far is working well. I'm planning to to the matching corner on the other side of the rack sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for everyone's ideas and suggestions!
    Attached Images

One more.
    Attached Images

EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EricAtl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by QDubs View Post
    One more.
    Nice space!
    I quote with pics. ()---() York Barbell Club #78 (DD) ()---()
    My gym walk thru: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=1629553623#post1629553623

Thanks. It's far from what you have (great space btw) but it does the job :-).

BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I feel like I'm one of the only people in the world who realizes you can move stuff around in a home gym depending on what you're doing that day, and have everything else put away to the side. It's getting out of the mentality of replicating a commercial gym.

I made a pretty good moveable weight trolley to keep most of my plates too, I can take a picture if you're interested. Basically it's a weight horn on a trolley.

A really good space saver is spinlock dumbells too, they take the place of a rack, mine range from 1kg to 120kg in 0.5kg increments, that would otherwise fill the entire room and cost maybe $10k

Don't plan it all out, just work it out as you go because experience will teach you things. That's a nice space you have.

All the bars and attachments can just lean up in the corner, but you will have to put up plywood or something so it doesn't wreck your wall.

Edit: I see you have done a lot already, it's looking awesome actually