UnderRated700 will become famous soon enough. (+50) UnderRated700 will become famous soon enough. (+50) UnderRated700 will become famous soon enough. (+50) UnderRated700 will become famous soon enough. (+50) UnderRated700 will become famous soon enough. (+50) UnderRated700 will become famous soon enough. (+50) UnderRated700 will become famous soon enough. (+50) UnderRated700 will become famous soon enough. (+50) UnderRated700 will become famous soon enough. (+50) UnderRated700 will become famous soon enough. (+50) UnderRated700 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

IT band snapping during squats - how to fix?

For years now since I started working out I had this 'issue' and I couldn't find much information online on how to treat this.

From what I found out this may be caused by the butt wink I have, the snapping also occurs when the butt starts to wink at about 70 degrees for me.

It's not severe and can't be seen visually but when I put my hand on it I feel the snap.

No pain but want to get it sorted, any exercises or videos anyone can suggest?

TY.

Registered User RehabHeroClinic's Avatar
    RehabHeroClinic is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Snapping Hips

There are two types of snapping hips, Internal Snapping Hips and External Snapping Hips.

**DISCLAIMER: Please note that the information here is not considered medical advice but is here for educational purposes only. This information does not replace information provided to you by your health care professional.**

External Snapping hips has to do with the gluteus medius and minimus tendon complex on the greater trochanter. Typically this snap is felt on the outer hip and even into the buttock region. Tightness in this muscle can develop over time if there's a tendency to go into genu valgum or knocked knees position during the squat. Knocked knees can happen if there is insufficient control of the gluteus maximus muscle or poor hip stabilization via co-contraction of the hip adductor muscle group. On the flip side, knocked knees can also occur if there is poor foot stabilization during the squat. Specifically if there is over pronation of the medial longitudinal arch, this can cause the tibia to rotate internally, which also pull the femur into internal rotation as well. As you can imagine, if the hip is in relative internal rotation during the squat, your external rotators namely the gluteus medius will experience excessive tightening as it is forced to contract under tension while in a stretch position.

Stretching or foam rolling the gluteus medius can help but clearing up movement mechanics is a must to prevent re-occurrence. I should also note that snapping hips takes a long while to reduce, especially if you are a heavy lifter.

Here is a hip mobility exercise: www(dot)rehabhero(dot)ca/exercise/knee-to-heel-taps

Here's how to foam roll the glutes: www(dot)rehabhero(dot)ca/exercise/buttock-foam-rolling?rq=gluteus%20medius

Here is an active lengthening control exercise of the gluteus medius: www(dot)rehabhero(dot)ca/exercise/storks

Here's a foot strengthening exercise: www(dot)rehabhero(dot)ca/exercise/short-foot

Internal snapping hip syndrome is typically caused by the iliopsoas tendon. When this tendon is tight, usually from over use, it can snap over the anterior acetabular rim (front of the hip). This typically starts to occur if you have the tendency to stabilize the spine through the iliopsoas muscle, which are the strongest hip flexor muscles that also attach to the spine. This typically starts to occur if there is poor hip spine dissociation - meaning you are unable to control the hip completely independently from the hip.

Here is an active lengthening exercise for the iliopsoas: www(dot)rehabhero(dot)ca/exercise/lunge-stretch

Here's a hip spine dissociative exercise that also aims to strengthen the iliopsoas: www(dot)rehabhero(dot)ca/exercise/decline-bridge-march

I should note that strengthening a muscle helps to increase a muscle's tolerance to stretch. There is a large misconception out there going on where strengthening a muscle tightens it - this isn't true at all (according to the research). Only dysfunctional and OVER WORKED muscles tend to 'tighten' up.

The plan of management for this varies greatly between each type of snapping hip so its important to get assessed to determine the root cause of your snapping hips. This can be tested by a sports physio or chiro to figure out what's causing a movement compensation.