Thread: Lower Back Pain

Registered User DeslredUsername's Avatar
    DeslredUsername has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lower Back Pain

I wanted to follow up on a thread I made here a few weeks ago under another account but it's gone. And I can't remember my old account. Anyway I hurt my lower back doing squats (I mistakenly thought it was weighted leg raises) and it didn't prevent me from squatting but it did prevent me from deadlifting.

After 2 weeks it was mostly gone so I tried deadlifting and now the pain is almost back as bad as before. Curving my back while sitting is painful. Unlike last time, getting out of bed isn't very painful. But also unlike last time, there is now a faint paint running in a line down my left buttock and left side of left thigh almost to my knee. Is this proof it's sciatica and a bulged disc?

What to do?

I only squat bodyweight and only for cardio so I try to do the 20 rep thing though 99% of the time I can't get it all in in a single set.

Is my back done for good?

I had reached 265lbs deadlifting which is a personal record for me, will I ever reach it again? This is really a bummer and kind of like a mid-life crisis but I'm not even 30 yet.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    What was your previous username. I'll have to close your other account - forum rules only allow 1 account per person.

Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by DeslredUsername View Post
    I wanted to follow up on a thread I made here a few weeks ago under another account but it's gone. And I can't remember my old account. Anyway I hurt my lower back doing squats (I mistakenly thought it was weighted leg raises) and it didn't prevent me from squatting but it did prevent me from deadlifting.

After 2 weeks it was mostly gone so I tried deadlifting and now the pain is almost back as bad as before. Curving my back while sitting is painful. Unlike last time, getting out of bed isn't very painful. But also unlike last time, there is now a faint paint running in a line down my left buttock and left side of left thigh almost to my knee. Is this proof it's sciatica and a bulged disc?

What to do?

I only squat bodyweight and only for cardio so I try to do the 20 rep thing though 99% of the time I can't get it all in in a single set.

Is my back done for good?

I had reached 265lbs deadlifting which is a personal record for me, will I ever reach it again? This is really a bummer and kind of like a mid-life crisis but I'm not even 30 yet.

Ofc it's not done for good, it's muscle problem most of the time. Too much extension from low back is also not that good, your erector spiane can become very short and tight giving you a lot of pain. Maybe the pain also comes from tightness in posterior chain (hamstrings, glutes, calves) I would try some gently stretching and massages. In my case tingling in feet was caused by tightness in the glutes and hamstrings, tight muscles compress sciatic nerve, but tightness there was caused by pelvic imbalance (hyperlordosis) so yeah, strenghtening hams and stretch them in the same time fixed that.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    What was your previous username. I'll have to close your other account - forum rules only allow 1 account per person.
    I can't remember. I tried password reset for multiple emails and none of them recieved a password email. To be honest I was counting on remembering my username from finding my old thread again but I didn't know they would get deleted. It's probably the only thread here within the past 4 weeks that had "back" in the title and also "leg raises" in the body. And the IP address is the same if that helps ...

Originally Posted by Szyszak View Post
    Ofc it's not done for good, it's muscle problem most of the time. Too much extension from low back is also not that good, your erector spiane can become very short and tight giving you a lot of pain. Maybe the pain also comes from tightness in posterior chain (hamstrings, glutes, calves) I would try some gently stretching and massages. In my case tingling in feet was caused by tightness in the glutes and hamstrings, tight muscles compress sciatic nerve, but tightness there was caused by pelvic imbalance (hyperlordosis) so yeah, strenghtening hams and stretch them in the same time fixed that.
    So sciatica isn't proof of bulged disc? Thank God ... But my pain came on all in one day, precisely the morning after working out. Does't that mean it's not a tightness issue, or a shortened erector spiane issue? It seems those would cause pain only gradually.

Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I can't remember. I tried password reset for multiple emails and none of them recieved a password email. To be honest I was counting on remembering my username from finding my old thread again but I didn't know they would get deleted. It's probably the only thread here within the past 4 weeks that had "back" in the title and also "leg raises" in the body. And the IP address is the same if that helps ...

So sciatica isn't proof of bulged disc? Thank God ... But my pain came on all in one day, precisely the morning after working out. Does't that mean it's not a tightness issue, or a shortened erector spiane issue? It seems those would cause pain only gradually.
    Bulged disc is rarely the issue, if you put 100 people to do MRi it would shown that everyone got some bulging disc although one have symptoms. other dont have. When you lifting you must also care about mobility especially for your spine, cause even though you maintain proper lifting technique it compress your spine anyway, that's why stretching is that important.

Well that is reassuring, although I am not sure how to interpret your statement. Most people with actual bulging discs have zero symptoms?

I almost never stretch. Guess it's time to start :laugh:

In my case tingling in feet was caused by tightness in the glutes and hamstrings
    What sort of hamstring stretches did you do that helped? It makes sense that I'd have that.

Well that is reassuring, although I am not sure how to interpret your statement. Most people with actual bulging discs have zero symptoms?

I almost never stretch. Guess it's time to start :laugh:

What sort of hamstring stretches did you do that helped? It makes sense that I'd have that.
    Always go for active stretch, if you can still lift without back pain try out romanian deadlift 2-3 sec going eccentric phase. Stretch for glutes :https://youtu.be/qd91wiLifDo?t=129

If you cannot do any exercise because of pain try static stretch like this : https://youtu.be/FJzVplRn33A?t=184

Thanks, I've startd romanian deadlifts. If this thread doesn't get deleted I'll try to be back with a progress report in 8 weeks or so.

Thanks, I've startd romanian deadlifts. If this thread doesn't get deleted I'll try to be back with a progress report in 8 weeks or so.
    Sure, good luck dude.

Registered User RehabHeroClinic's Avatar
    RehabHeroClinic is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    DISCLAIMER: The information in this post is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. All content, including text, graphics, images, and information, contained in this video is for general information purposes only and does not replace a consultation with your own doctor/health professional

Hey there are a lot of different things that could've went wrong there, everything from jamming the facet joints of the lumbar spine, to muscle strains in the erector spinae or quadratus lumborum, to disc bulges, to spraining the sacroiliac joint. Most of the time it's not a permanent injury despite how severe it can feel.

If you can afford to consult a physio or sports chiro to at least get a working diagnosis to see what could've gone wrong. In the meantime some general recovery work can help. This does not mean stretching as stretching can aggravate an injury disc or muscle strain (muscle strains are muscle tears, similar to a tethered rope - you wouldn't want to add more tension to a tethered rope right?). Instead active movements going through your tolerable ranges of motion is ideal. This will help to promote blood flow to injured tissues and to minimize the amount of inflammatory by products that remain stagnant in the area.

Deadbugs: www(dot)rehabhero(dot)ca/exercise/dead-bug

Bird Dog: www(dot)rehabhero(dot)ca/exercise/bird-dog

Glute Bridge: www(dot)rehabhero(dot)ca/exercise/glute-bridge

Split Squat Pelvic Tilts: www(dot)rehabhero(dot)ca/exercise/split-squat-pelvic-tilts

If any of these exercises aggravate your condition, stop immediately and consult a health care practitioner. It is also important to remember that no pain does not equal full recovery. Often pain will subside before tissues are fully healed. Generally you'd want to gradually re-introduce light weight lifting activities 1-2 weeks after the acute pain has subsided.

I'm confused because romanian deadlifts and stiff-leg deadlifts with 130 lbs. don't aggravate it but 150 lbs. squats and regular deadlifts, as well as sitting for extended periods of time, do make the paint come back a few minutes later and continue for ~24 hours. It's very localized in the lower back and doesn't feel like injured muscles at all. It's not sharp, it's very dull, but I can't bend down and pick up 5 lbs. off the floor during that period of time.

And the injury occured a few weeks ago so personally I think it's a disc bulge ... muscle injuries don't last that long? In any case will keep up with the romanian & stiff leg deadlifts, maybe I'm wrong about it being a disc bulge.

I'm confused because romanian deadlifts and stiff-leg deadlifts with 130 lbs. don't aggravate it but 150 lbs. squats and regular deadlifts, as well as sitting for extended periods of time, do make the paint come back a few minutes later and continue for ~24 hours. It's very localized in the lower back and doesn't feel like injured muscles at all. It's not sharp, it's very dull, but I can't bend down and pick up 5 lbs. off the floor during that period of time.

And the injury occured a few weeks ago so personally I think it's a disc bulge ... muscle injuries don't last that long? In any case will keep up with the romanian & stiff leg deadlifts, maybe I'm wrong about it being a disc bulge.

If squat aggravate the pain it's really simple answer - your lower back must be hyperextended, something like hyperlordosis, lower back hyperextend = stomach push out. You need choose squat variations which doesnt bother it, and I would highly recommend you start doing belt squat, it doesnt take any pressure at your lower back, and it actually traction spine, relieving discs and fixing hyperlordosis. And if you got access to reverse hyper extension machine, you can also start do it. But if not, belt squat will fix the problem.
    But stay away from exercises which hyperextend low back and put a big pressure at erector spiane, such as heavy bent over rows without support, etc... Rdl when done correctly gonna put a big stretch for posterior chain and doesnt really tightening the low back like squats.

Thank you for the advice. I'm aware I've been hyperextending my spine during squats for almost a decade but why has it never caused a problem until now?

I have been using a belt as tight as possible (so I can still yet breate) for months before the injury occured also.

If hyperextended spine is the problem do you think lots of leg-raises would help?

Will continue with the RDLs and report back eventually as promised.

**EDIT**: I do want to emphasize that the paint radiates down my left outer thigh
    Last edited by DeslredUsername; 02-12-2021 at 04:52 PM.

Thank you for the advice. I'm aware I've been hyperextending my spine during squats for almost a decade but why has it never caused a problem until now?

I have been using a belt as tight as possible (so I can still yet breate) for months before the injury occured also.

If hyperextended spine is the problem do you think lots of leg-raises would help?

Will continue with the RDLs and report back eventually as promised.

**EDIT**: I do want to emphasize that the paint radiates down my left outer thigh
    Maybe because the curvature of your lower back wasn't that excessive, I would have to see it though to say whether it's that bad or not, but traction of the spine will help with it for sure. If lower back is exccesive arched, the force of compression on your spine doesnt decomposes evenly, and lower back always will be more compressed than other segments of your spine.

Use belt only when u go really heavy because if you use belt, your turn off your deep abs muscle which stabilize your spine. The belt making an abs function in that case.

Leg raises are great and will be also very beneficial.

For the time you got pain in lower back while squating try replace it with belt squat if you get access https://youtu.be/oHh2GxvXdu8?t=182

Hey, just want to say thank you again and post a quick update. Sadly I've quit RDLs, and all deadlifts and squats, because it was the only way to be pain-free the next day. Just doing pushups and pullups and leg raises. The pain is subsiding but much slower than I had hoped. At this rate it will be at least 4 months before I can resume my normal routine again; maybe longer.

I had misunderstood what you meant by belt squat by the way. I thought you meant just use a belt, but it's actually a whole machine. We don't have those at the gym here.

Will be back with another update in a few weeks. It's constantly on my mind and at this point I am convinced the injury is from twisting my spine while wearing ankle weights in a hanging leg raise position to workout my obliques. Big mistake ... should have at least asked someone if this was a legit exercise or not, or even just looked it up on YouTube haha.

It's been a month with apparently zero progress. I jumped a fence holding 20 lbs because the lock was such a bother to undo and when I hit the ground I felt what I imagine is the injured disc slide an inch or so the left. Very strange but it didn't hurt. Painwise nothing has changed though.

It's been a month with apparently zero progress. I jumped a fence holding 20 lbs because the lock was such a bother to undo and when I hit the ground I felt what I imagine is the injured disc slide an inch or so the left. Very strange but it didn't hurt. Painwise nothing has changed though.
    Did you try spine decompression by using reverse hyper machine?

Did you try spine decompression by using reverse hyper machine?
    I didn't know what that was, had to look up. I have such a machine actually. Haven't used it because I was afraid it might hurt my back some more.

I didn't know what that was, had to look up. I have such a machine actually. Haven't used it because I was afraid it might hurt my back some more.
    try out dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9tU7_w7rvw

riy1973 is on a distinguished road. (+10) riy1973 is on a distinguished road. (+10) riy1973 is on a distinguished road. (+10) riy1973 is on a distinguished road. (+10) riy1973 is on a distinguished road. (+10) riy1973 is on a distinguished road. (+10) riy1973 is on a distinguished road. (+10) riy1973 is on a distinguished road. (+10) riy1973 is on a distinguished road. (+10) riy1973 is on a distinguished road. (+10) riy1973 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    take some time off from squatting and deadlifting. do a lot of walking, biking (with the seat low), swimming laps in my pool with no kicking or any other exercises that involve bending over at all for now until this goes away again - which it usually does after about two weeks if not more than

try out dude
    Oh, it allows you to bend at the hips? Mine is for bending at the knees. It's the leg attachment for my bench. Is that still okay?

Originally Posted by riy1973 View Post
    take some time off from squatting and deadlifting. do a lot of walking, biking (with the seat low), swimming laps in my pool with no kicking or any other exercises that involve bending over at all for now until this goes away again - which it usually does after about two weeks if not more than
    Thanks for the advice! It has been 12 weeks already, but I still appreciate the optimism. Maybe I'm almost at the end of the tunnel, and the light is just behind a bump up ahead.

It's about to rotate the pelvis (the sacrum), it traction the spine.

It's about to rotate the pelvis (the sacrum), it traction the spine.
    I see. Unfortunately my equipment doesn't allow that range of motion.

While I'm keeping this thread updated, I reinjured it lifting a trashbag full of water (at a bad angle). I knew it was a terrible idea, but I am not used to the weakling mindset and my body ignored my brain and went ahead and picked it up anyway. Hurt worse than ever for almost a week. Won't be making that mistake again!

Update ... Injured it again by doing nothing but sitting down. Amazing. I will be back in a year if this thread is still here. This is so frustrating. It's been 4 months and back at square 1 for the 3rd time.
    Last edited by DeslredUsername; 04-24-2021 at 04:06 PM. Reason: update