jimredsox is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Home gym squat rack

Hello. I’m 50yrs old. Probably weakest person on this forum. Goal is to increase metabolism by lifting more building muscle mass. Lost 85 lbs in 2019 by radically cutting calories. Now slowly creeping up in weight.
    Cancelled gym membership early 2020. I enjoy cycling and want to continue to increase power. My guess is my best bet is a power rack to do squats bench alone w safety etc.
    Foot print in my garage I’d like to use is around 8” by 8’. I could go longer but would have to move stationary bike.
    Is the power rack ideal?
    If so I’ve seen sorinex rogue as good brands. Read 3x3 11 gauge steel is suggested. But don’t want to over engineer.
    Thanks for insights

BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If you only want to do squats, maybe a belt squat machine is a better option. You'll work the same muscles while putting less mileage on your spine.

Rack would make more sense if you're gonna use it for other lifts.

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If you want to squat and bench alone, then a full power rack is ideal. Keep in mind that an Olympic bar is 7' wide. You'll want more than 6" of clearance on either side to load plates. At least 12" and I'd go 18" if you can.

Rogue and Rep Fitness are the best bets for racks IMO. Sorinex makes nice gear but it's very expensive. Even if you have Sorinex money, I wouldn't spend it for your first rack.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The power rack should be a main piece of equipment training alone.
    It is in my garage.
    With a good solid adjustable bench that also inclines and a barbell with plates you have basically all you need to train safely.
    My rack has saved me a few times with squatting and bench pressing.
    I would suggest getting something quality(sorinex is a good one)that won't tip when racking a squat.
    Lighter cheaper ones will and can be an issue.
    EliteFTS has good quality racks also.

TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by jimredsox View Post
    Hello. I’m 50yrs old. Probably weakest person on this forum. Goal is to increase metabolism by lifting more building muscle mass. Lost 85 lbs in 2019 by radically cutting calories. Now slowly creeping up in weight.
    Cancelled gym membership early 2020. I enjoy cycling and want to continue to increase power. My guess is my best bet is a power rack to do squats bench alone w safety etc.
    Foot print in my garage I’d like to use is around 8” by 8’. I could go longer but would have to move stationary bike.
    Is the power rack ideal?
    If so I’ve seen sorinex rogue as good brands. Read 3x3 11 gauge steel is suggested. But don’t want to over engineer.
    Thanks for insights
    There are wall mounts...roguefitness.com/monster-lite-rml-390-fullw-fold-back-wall-mount-power-rack

Originally Posted by BiGx5MurF View Post
    If you only want to do squats, maybe a belt squat machine is a better option. You'll work the same muscles while putting less mileage on your spine.

Rack would make more sense if you're gonna use it for other lifts.
    Thanks! So understand I should plan 18” on both sides for weights correct?

Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    If you want to squat and bench alone, then a full power rack is ideal. Keep in mind that an Olympic bar is 7' wide. You'll want more than 6" of clearance on either side to load plates. At least 12" and I'd go 18" if you can.

Rogue and Rep Fitness are the best bets for racks IMO. Sorinex makes nice gear but it's very expensive. Even if you have Sorinex money, I wouldn't spend it for your first rack.

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by jimredsox View Post
    I would. You can load plates with less space, but more room will make it easier on yourself. You'll probably find a bar before a rack and plates so you can first see how the the bar fits your space and whether you need to move your bike. Think carefully about your rack placement because you'll likely have to disassemble it if you want to move it.