Registered User RaymondSmuckles's Avatar
    RaymondSmuckles is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Help making lifting schedule when my job is 12 hour days

Hello everyone. I was hoping some of you could help me come up with a plan to lift, gain mass, and get it done when I am at my job 12.5 hours a day. After travel time I got 7 hours before I have to be up again to go to work. It's like that 3-4 days a week. My days off I can lift all I want but trying to fit everything in on days off means that's about all I do. I also run and hit a punching bag when I can.

Anyone know of good programs where I can hit a muscle group and gain mass but do it in an hour, hour and half?

I am trying a 6 day schedule right now and it's mostly.
    Chest
    Middle, lower back
    Upper arms
    Quads
    Shoulders, traps
    Hamstring
    Those are the major muscle groups I hit each day and I mix in forearms, abs, and calves.

All critiques and guidance appreciated. Be candid because I really enjoy lifting and want to continue and get some growth so I welcome anything that will help me achieve my goals (I'm 6'1" 160-165 pounds at about 13% body fat).

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.

health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    This is entirely personal preference here, I don't know your entire situation so forgive me. But I think it might be possible to follow the lifting schedule you want regardless of your work schedule and you may not need to limit yourself to only your days off. If you limit yourself to just your days off that means you're going to be taking 3-4 days off in a row each week am I right?

The other thing to consider is are your workout times needlessly long? How long are you taking for rest between sets? You'd be surprised how efficient of a workout you can do in just 45-60 minutes with a decent amount of volume.

I worked a job where I started at 5 AM could work all day, and then could be called back out in the evenings and still had to be to work regardless if I got sleep or not (aimed to be to bed around 7-730 PM to get up for 3 AM). Like you, I follow a 6 day split workout schedule as well.

I got up at 3 AM every morning because that was the uninterrrputed time I could ensure I get my training done. I still get up between 3 AM - 4 AM to train.

If you are working long hours and your job tires you, training before may be your best option when you're fresh. But it might mean making some sacrifices to balance your time better. Maybe getting up earlier to get to the gym, pre-cook meals ahead of time to save you time, going to bed earlier to get up earlier, etc.

Or maybe you prefer working out after work and find it doesn't affect your performance. Whatever works for you. I'm just trying to throw different ideas out there as someone who has worked long hours / been on call but still made time for workouts.

It's about balancing your time with your priorities.
    Last edited by health4life24; 01-27-2021 at 02:36 AM.
    - Your mindset influences your outcome. It's time to take out phrases like "I can't" or "I don't have time" and replace them with phrases like "I will make the time" and "I will keep working at it until I find a way that works." Success starts with the right mindset and believing in yourself and your dreams.