LeoMiker01 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Aggressive Bulk for Newb Gains?

So I just need some help figuring out if I should take a more aggressive bulk approach to maximize newb gains. So I am 6 feet tall, 19 years old, and a 140 pounds. I’m not like super skinny by any means I do have a bit of muscle and can bench press 185 but I am still a newb I guess. Would it be smart to bulk aggressively trying to gain 25-30 pounds within a year trying to get to 170-175 or is that too much?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    I don't think bulking too fast is ever a good idea - you're just making problems for yourself down the line in terms of fat loss (cutting sucks).

Don't try to gain more than 2-3lbs a month IMO.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    185 lb bench at 140 lb bw is decent. You're 19. There's no rush to get to whatever your goal is.

Also, don't neglect the rest of your body.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Not really, there's no benefit to gaining 4lbs a month as opposed to 2
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

AussieQuads has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AussieQuads has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AussieQuads has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AussieQuads has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AussieQuads has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AussieQuads has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AussieQuads has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AussieQuads has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AussieQuads has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AussieQuads has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AussieQuads has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by LeoMiker01 View Post
    So I just need some help figuring out if I should take a more aggressive bulk approach to maximize newb gains. So I am 6 feet tall, 19 years old, and a 140 pounds. I’m not like super skinny by any means I do have a bit of muscle and can bench press 185 but I am still a newb I guess. Would it be smart to bulk aggressively trying to gain 25-30 pounds within a year trying to get to 170-175 or is that too much?
    I don't know about an aggressive bulk... but you could go slightly faster than a more experienced lifter (have a slightly bigger surplus)... E.g. instead of a 5-10% kcal surplus over maintenance kcals you could go say 10-15% over total kcals.

For a beginner, 25-30lbs is realistic for a good portion of individuals provided you have a decent genetic response to training... I gained about 20kg (44lbs) or so in my first year, but mind you some was obviously body fat and I was recovering from an eating disorder so 1/2 of that was just regaining contractile tissue I lost from the eating disorder... which put my net first year gain at around 22lbs in my first year...

I always say 1-1.5% total bodyweight weight gain per week for beginners is a good ballpark rate of weight gain to aim for... then obviously you'll have outliers on both ends of the spectrum... hyper responders to training and under or non-responders.

Did this help? I hope it does man.

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by AussieQuads View Post
    I always say 1-1.5% total bodyweight weight gain per week for beginners is a good ballpark rate of weight gain to aim for... then obviously you'll have outliers on both ends of the spectrum...
    A week? No way.Way too fast. Just encouraging fat gain.

LeoMiker01 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by AussieQuads View Post
    I don't know about an aggressive bulk... but you could go slightly faster than a more experienced lifter (have a slightly bigger surplus)... E.g. instead of a 5-10% kcal surplus over maintenance kcals you could go say 10-15% over total kcals.

For a beginner, 25-30lbs is realistic for a good portion of individuals provided you have a decent genetic response to training... I gained about 20kg (44lbs) or so in my first year, but mind you some was obviously body fat and I was recovering from an eating disorder so 1/2 of that was just regaining contractile tissue I lost from the eating disorder... which put my net first year gain at around 22lbs in my first year...

I always say 1-1.5% total bodyweight weight gain per week for beginners is a good ballpark rate of weight gain to aim for... then obviously you'll have outliers on both ends of the spectrum... hyper responders to training and under or non-responders.

Did this help? I hope it does man.
    Thanks man I really appreciate the advice, everyone tells me either do a super lean weight gain phase which is just kind of hard to manage at this beginner stage since I don’t know much about nutrition, but I also have this handful of people telling me to stuff my face to maximize beginner gains but your response seems to be right in the middle and I will likely follow your advise on what kind of calorie surplus