FiveNineMike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Newbie Needs Suggestions

Hey all,

Joined this forum a number of years ago then life happened. Last year in particular was pretty funky. Between Covid-19 shuttering our local gyms and me just being pretty lazy in general, I managed to get somewhat out of shape. I'm 31 yr and right between 6' and 6'1". On Dec 27 I decided to start fasting again to cut some weight. Started off at 197lbs, as of two days ago I came in at 181lbs which is hoovering close to my initial goal of 175lbs. Now... our local gyms have opened back up at limited capacity with masks and social distancing.

My typical routine was always starting off with light cardio, about 20 minutes on treadmill, sometimes power walking, sometimes just jogging, depending on how I was feeling. I'd then shift to various cable machines and then do a ten minute walk on the treadmill again to finish off the day as a cool down. Typically I was in the gym 4-5 days a week as time allowed but I had really no consistent regiment in place.

This year I plan on hiking and summiting several non-technical peaks in Washington and Oregon including South Sister, Mount McLoughlin, Mount Thielsen and such so basic cardio is going to be a normal part of my routine however I also just want to get stronger all around. Physically I am slender and would like to build more muscle mass but nothing extreme. In normal times, I was also very much into bouldering as well.

Any suggestions on a good program or regiment I could dedicate myself to? Getting into the gym right now isn't an issue for me now that everything is partially opened again. Would like to do something that is between 3-5 days a week. Every other week I usually do a moderate weekend hike, nothing super crazy though.

bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Check out the Stickies and look for a good novice program, there are a number of them that you can check out.
    It sounds like you gravitate towards circuit type stuff and you're pretty active in your free time, full body split could be a good choice.
    BP: 280
    SQ: 455
    DL: 585
    Bodyweight 185

TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=162916931

Here are some proven programs that range from 3-5 days. I'd encourage you to start with the 3 day program and build your way up to 4.

FiveNineMike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Appreciate the insight from both of you. Ironically when I stopped by the gym this afternoon to workout shortly after posting this... the fire alarm went off minutes after walking through the door, lol. Fail.