vonhe is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Fatigued snowboarding

Male 51 years old. 6’ 200 lbs. So I go snowboarding and I get fatigued in no time. Most of the time it’s not the actual snowboarding that tires me but for example, on a snowboard if you don’t have enough speed and you go into a flat area you end up having to take your foot out of one binding and sort of skate to the downhill area. skating through flats, getting up after falling etc. wore me out. Even bending down to adjust my bindings tires me. A couple of times I strained to get up and I felt like I was going to pass out. I just stood there for a minute and it went away. I’m assuming I was using so much oxygen in my legs etc to get up, that my brain wasn’t getting enough. I did move from a fairly low altitude place at 800’ to a city at about 3500’ altitude and the mountain I snowboard on is about 8100’ but I’ve been here 2 years. Am I just in terrible shape and what’s a good workout for me?
    Last edited by vonhe; 01-24-2021 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Mistake

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You either need to get better at snowboarding, or else lose some weight and get into better cardio shape.

Gravity is supposed to do the work for you when you snowboard, it's not supposed to wear you out. Some tips:

- Get off the greens and go to steeper terrain; otherwise switch to skiing so you can push yourself around with poles
    - Pick up speed before you to to a flat area
    - If you lose speed on flats, pump up/down with your legs & body to transfer kinetic energy to your board to keep moving without having to unstrap
    - If you're lighter and have strong triceps, it's much easier to get up from a seated position
    - Stay hydrated
    - Stop falling

vonhe is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Right, getting better is the goal. To look at me I’m a fairly muscular 200lbs- 34 inch waist, I guess because of good genetics and I’m fairly strong. I guess the problem is terrible cardio.

sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I wouldn't say terrible cardio, running isn't going to solve your problem. Work on General Physical Preparedness (GPP). You may be strong enough (max lifting capability) it's just you can't sustain effort. So do GPP work. As for cardio - it's a good idea to put in 30-45 minutes most days doing some cardio work - as in walking, biking, swimming, etc. Anything to get a sustained elevated heart rate - ask your Cardiologist.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by vonhe View Post
    Right, getting better is the goal. To look at me I’m a fairly muscular 200lbs- 34 inch waist, I guess because of good genetics and I’m fairly strong. I guess the problem is terrible cardio.
    I'd guess you're carrying around a decent amount of fat, which if you're not in good shape makes everything tougher throughout the day if you're still learning esp as you get older - falling and getting up, skating on flat ground, making it from top to bottom without stopping, staying balanced so you don't fall on your butt or hands, etc.

For what you're doing you shouldn't need GPP or any specific training although it certainly wouldn't hurt. Many better riders you see on the mountain have never picked up a weight or done sports conditioning. They just snowboard and skate in the offseason.

Do some cardio, drink water and see your doc for a checkup and if you keep getting bouts of almost fainting.