saratmup is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Need advice please. Bf 21.2% bmi 21.1 cut or bulk

Hi guys,
    I am new to this forum. I am a male 32 age . 5’11 and 151 lbs Currently at bodyfat 21.2% and bmi 21.1 (which might be low). I was 185 pounds in August 2020 and now lost 34 pounds in 5 months. Initially i just started my fitness journey in August just wanting to lose weight and be more active. I did cardio, good nutrition and calorie deficit and also started lifting weights for the first time in my life. In this process i learnt more about fitness topics , read so many bodybuilding threads etc.. i have to agree that i made a mistake by not focusing on much lifting during this process i might have lost more lean body weight. Thats why i am still at 21.2% bf even at 21.1 bmi. I started serious lifting consistently only 1-2 months back. I had a dexa scan last week and 21.2% bf surprised me. I was already on a calorie deficit for 5 months. Now i am in a bad situation. What should i do now? Do you suggest lean bulk or cut and look more skinny and then bulk? Or body recomposition? Please help me with as much advice as you can? My goal is to have a lean body (not very bulky. Probably 160-170 lbs and bodyfat less than 15) . Please help

bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/photos/view-user-photo/105045387

bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/photos/view-user-photo/105045388

bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/photos/view-user-photo/105045389
    Last edited by saratmup; 01-23-2021 at 11:23 PM.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    No crossposting please, your other threads were deleted.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    No crossposting please, your other threads were deleted.
    Sorry, .. bump.. guys please help

ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    So to reach your goal you need to put on 15lbs. + of muscle.

Cutting more is pointless now in my opinion. Get on a solid routine based on compounds and build muscle for 18-24 months.

Your bodyfat is probably not as high as 21% right now but I wouldn't even worry about those numbers. Concentrate more on what weights you can squat, bench and deadlift for a while.

Originally Posted by ezra76 View Post
    So to reach your goal you need to put on 15lbs. + of muscle.

Cutting more is pointless now in my opinion. Get on a solid routine based on compounds and build muscle for 18-24 months.

Your bodyfat is probably not as high as 21% right now but I wouldn't even worry about those numbers. Concentrate more on what weights you can squat, bench and deadlift for a while.

Thank you. Guys, more advice /opinions/suggestions are welcome. Thanks

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Small calorie surplus and train hard on a good program
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Spring and summer are coming up, what do you want to look like in 4 months?

That should guide your path.

Personally, I would do maintenance calories or super small surplus and lift heavy, 5x5 or 5x3x1 etc. You could get a nice physique going if you got your muscle mass up... it will take a few months to see it but in 3-4 months you'll say "Damn I'm strong" and people can tell.

If you go full on cut right now, you could be really lean by May, but more of a wirey look. You'll see a lot of definition and when you take your shirt off, people will like it, but you'll be lean, like a road bicyclist.

It's up to you to decide how you want to look. I would lift heavy.
    Life is easy when you take personal responsibility
    MMMC - Assistant to the Assistant of the Secretary of Assistance

I don't do limits.

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    What, exactly, is your workout? You're at a good place to add some more muscle.

Originally Posted by metroins View Post
    Spring and summer are coming up, what do you want to look like in 4 months?

That should guide your path.

Personally, I would do maintenance calories or super small surplus and lift heavy, 5x5 or 5x3x1 etc. You could get a nice physique going if you got your muscle mass up... it will take a few months to see it but in 3-4 months you'll say "Damn I'm strong" and people can tell.

If you go full on cut right now, you could be really lean by May, but more of a wirey look. You'll see a lot of definition and when you take your shirt off, people will like it, but you'll be lean, like a road bicyclist.

It's up to you to decide how you want to look. I would lift heavy.
    Thank you

Originally Posted by CommitmentRulz View Post
    What, exactly, is your workout? You're at a good place to add some more muscle.
    Thanks for your comments. I started full body workouts 2-3 times a week 2 months back but i started the upper/lower split (4 days)recently as it is giving me more time to recover lega/back and enable me to add cardio sessions. Also, guys please let me know how to incorporate cardio efficiently in my week. I like treadmill sprinting, medium intensity swimming and also 1 spinning class (not sure if spinning is good) . Thanks

Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    Small calorie surplus and train hard on a good program
    Thank you . Small surplus is 100-250 right? My maintenance is I am multiplying my weight in lbs by 15. What do you guys think?

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by saratmup View Post
    Thank you . Small surplus is 100-250 right? My maintenance is I am multiplying my weight in lbs by 15. What do you guys think?
    thats a dart at a dartboard at best.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    My maintenance at 6'5 250ishlbs is around 2,800 calories per day.

It's not perfect, but this calculator gets you in the ballpark:
    https://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

The only perfect way is to track your intake for months. At 5'11 I would guesstimate it's something close to 2,300 calories. Which is near your formula of "weight x 15" (no clue where you got that formula). If it were me, I'd be around the 2,300-2,400 range and continue to lift heavy.
    Life is easy when you take personal responsibility
    MMMC - Assistant to the Assistant of the Secretary of Assistance

I don't do limits.

Originally Posted by metroins View Post
    My maintenance at 6'5 250ishlbs is around 2,800 calories per day.

It's not perfect, but this calculator gets you in the ballpark:

The only perfect way is to track your intake for months. At 5'11 I would guesstimate it's something close to 2,300 calories. Which is near your formula of "weight x 15" (no clue where you got that formula). If it were me, I'd be around the 2,300-2,400 range and continue to lift heavy.
    Thank you everyone. I am eating around 2400 and started lifting heavy with upper/lower 4 times a week. I will continue this for the rest of this year and update this group.

Can you guys let me know what kind of cardio and how much cardio is safe to include in my weekly workouts?
    Thanks

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Can you guys let me know what kind of cardio and how much cardio is safe to include in my weekly workouts?
    Not sure what you mean by "safe". Do you think cardio is dangerous or something? I know people that run 8-10 miles a day.

Cardio is great for the cardiovascular system, so a few times a week for 30 minutes is generally enough. I would time it so you do it after your lifting though, or on your non lifting days.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.