Not politically liberal Liberal3lite's Avatar
    Liberal3lite is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liberal3lite is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liberal3lite is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liberal3lite is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liberal3lite is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liberal3lite is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liberal3lite is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liberal3lite is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liberal3lite is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liberal3lite is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liberal3lite is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Rep range for building muscle mass with calisthenics?

So I know 8 to 12 reps is the sweet spot for building muscle mass with free weights (arguably with 15 to 20 for isolation exercises), but how does that translate to calisthenics exercises?

If I can only do 5 neutral grip pull ups and 5 dips in one set, am I going to be stimulating muscle hypertrophy?

Since I can do 30 to 40 push ups in one set, I'm guessing the push ups aren't doing anything for building muscle? Is that a waste of time and should I just stop doing push ups altogether?

Also, are dips and pull ups effective in building big broad shoulders and upper traps?
    Bald and ugly crew

ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Liberal3lite View Post
    So I know 8 to 12 reps is the sweet spot for building muscle mass with free weights (arguably with 15 to 20 for isolation exercises), but how does that translate to calisthenics exercises?

If I can only do 5 neutral grip pull ups and 5 dips in one set, am I going to be stimulating muscle hypertrophy?

Since I can do 30 to 40 push ups in one set, I'm guessing the push ups aren't doing anything for building muscle? Is that a waste of time and should I just stop doing push ups altogether?

Also, are dips and pull ups effective in building big broad shoulders and upper traps?
    For calisthenics, reps closer to failure are the most effective reps. 30-40 rep pushups isn't exactly a waste of time, but you could be more efficient by progressively weighting your pushups.

5 rep pullups and dips is stimulating the muscle to grow. Over time, you're adding reps, right?
    2020 maxes
    Squat 185
    Bench 137
    DL 205
    bw 88.5 age 43

Workout Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1630928323&viewfull=1#post1630928323

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Liberal3lite View Post

It's an oversimplification. Rep ranges only apply if you can take each set to a consistent level of exertion (e.g. 1 rep before failure). That's not possible if you can't adjust the resistance.

The rep count itself is far far less important than the exertion level and the number of sets done (volume). Think of rep count as more of a side effect of choosing the right resistance level and/or doing enough exertion.

Just take each set close to failure and do as many sets as you need.

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    It's an oversimplification. Rep ranges only apply if you can take each set to a consistent level of exertion (e.g. 1 rep before failure). That's not possible if you can't adjust the resistance.

The rep count itself is far far less important than the exertion level and the number of sets done (volume). Think of rep count as more of a side effect of choosing the right resistance level and/or doing enough exertion.

Just take each set close to failure and do as many sets as you need.
    This lad!..

3-30reps
    0-4 reps in the tank...

Once your consistently doing over 30~ reps in every sets of a movement... Use a more difficult variation or cut rest between sets.
    Bench for pecs crew
    FMH crew - couch.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yeah even if you can do like 50 in set, then however many good sets of 30 is going to be telling of your strength.

PullUpsandDips has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PullUpsandDips has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PullUpsandDips has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PullUpsandDips has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PullUpsandDips has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PullUpsandDips has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've been lurking for a while and thought this would be a good intro post to jump aboard, because I see a lot of mis-information on this topic online. The first responder had it it right, the reps at the end "Failure" are where your going to make your gains off of body weight.

I was released December 20th 2019, just a month ago, from doing a 9 year sentence where I spent the first 3 years in the Feds, and the last 6 years in Texas State Prisons on a maximum security unit in G4 custody.

We had weights on the yard on most of my units, however they were machine weights, and the lines were usually so long it wasn't worth the wait, so instead, over 9 years, I became very familiar with push ups, dips, pull ups, and sit ups.

From 9 years of push up experience, I believe the gains are made in the failure range. As long as you keep increasing time under tension, or the amount of reps it takes you to reach failure, you will continue to make gains despite what all the "body building" magazines tell you. I went in at 140 lbs and came out at a very lean 215 lbs. With that said, we did eat very well on the maximum security units, max security is ID units on the farm. We raise and slaughter our own meat and we have plenty of meat to go go around. It wasn't uncommon for us to eat meat loaf, chicken, veggies, and potatoes on a daily basis.

My advice would be to set a high rep number, in example 500. Knock out 500 in the least amount of sets possible. The next week, increase to 600 x 3 a week. And keep increasing your reps by 100 per week.

If you have a training partner it's also fun to have someone sit on your back one day of the week and work on lower rep sets. Out here in the world, you can actually just use a backpack with plates. (This is how I currently train.)

I'm currently training prison work out all over. When I got released I went from doing 2k push ups a day, to doing 500 a day with a 45 lb plate. When I get to doing 1,000 with a 45 lb plate on my back, I'm going to increase the weight. And keep repeating.

You'll also have a much more hardened look over most people in your gym.

Good luck.